Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Montreal metal-winning figure-skater bares all

Golden Girls
January 23rd, 2007, 09:28 AM
This is not to offend anyone ... it's not about Peta, it's about fur (mind you I would't strip, but to each his own)

More Than 120 Members of PETA, AnimaNaturalis Bare All to Symbolize the Number of Chinchillas Killed for Just One Coat

For Immediate Release:
January 22, 2007 Barcelona, Spain - Along with 120 other nude activists, 32-year-old Montréal native Anita Singh stripped naked yesterday in Barcelona city center to represent one of the more than 120 chinchillas it takes to make just one fur coat. The activists lay as if they were dead-sprawled across the ground behind signs asking, "How Many Lives Just for a Coat?" The "die-in" was organized by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) Europe and AnimaNaturalis.

Honing her medal-winning figure-skating skills at the Pierrefonds and Pointe Claire arenas and attending St. Thomas School in the West Island-where she graduated with honours-rank highly among Singh's fond memories of living in Montréal. Now living in London, England-where she works for PETA Europe-Singh's passions have again turned to Canada. Singh serves at the helm of PETA's campaign to stop the British royals from ordering the deaths of Canadian black bears, whose skins are fashioned into ceremonial hats for The Queen's Guards. Singh's high-profile demonstrations in opposition to the slaughter have been grabbing headlines across the globe.

What's wrong with fur? Animals trapped in the wild for their fur often suffer for days before they are stomped or bludgeoned to death. Anxious to get back to their young, some nursing mothers have been known to chew off their own limbs in an attempt to escape. Animals on fur farms live in tiny, filthy cages, where they are exposed to all weather extremes and suffer severe psychological and physical distress before they are poisoned, gassed, or electrocuted or have their necks broken as they scream and writhe in pain.

"I'll gladly bare my skin if it will help save animals' skins," says Singh. "With so many fashionable clothing choices, there's absolutely no excuse to wear fur."For more information, please visit FurIsDead.com.