Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

temerary memory loss

breeze
January 23rd, 2007, 08:07 AM
ok what make a 5 month old (who I have been training all the comands to and is or should i say was doing very well) suddenly have a temperary memory loss and does her own thing. even when we play with her favorite throw toy look at you as if to say "you want me to do what"?? "are you crazy"?? "you go get it". you tell her to sit or lie down and she looks the other way and egnores you. this i baffuls the mind. The only thing I can think of is that when I fell asleep (finally) an alien ship switched my pup for one of there own. all i can say is " I want my pup back" :pawprint: (please)

Golden Girls
January 23rd, 2007, 08:34 AM
Maybe the sudden memory loss puppy needs a cookie :D

breeze
January 23rd, 2007, 09:11 AM
I wonder if the sudden memory loss includes cookies also?? :p lets find out. :laughing: nope she remembers that very well.

Rottielover
January 23rd, 2007, 09:17 AM
This is a normal phase, just keep practicing. She has not memory loss, but is telling you that she does not want to do it. enforce, praise......

breeze
January 23rd, 2007, 09:21 AM
That is what we are doing, never give up, it's just fustrating especialy at night when it is -19c outside. lol

Spirit
January 23rd, 2007, 09:22 AM
Ooohhh... Just wait until the "I'm a teenager now and my poop don't stink" days. :D

breeze
January 23rd, 2007, 09:24 AM
at what age is that :eek: so i can make it on my calendar so i won't forget

twisten
January 23rd, 2007, 12:34 PM
LOL. I'd like to know too so I can mark it on mine.

H.P.
January 26th, 2007, 07:05 PM
I am not sure at what age the "official" teen years start. Sydney (7 months) has been doing this for about the past month, I decided that this is her teenage rebellion, maybe it is, maybe it's not, maybe she is maturing early, or late, but it makes me feel better about it! I have re-instituted our nightly training sessions, in addition to doing the every interaction is a training session. It reinforces my alfa status I think and seems to help a bit. Good luck!

hazelrunpack
January 26th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Setters do the same thing. We've noticed regressions at 5 months, again at 8, and sometimes another one shortly after their first birthday... I think they're reliving their 'childhood'... :D And then, around age 3 or 4, they morph into couch potatoes and you sorta miss those hi-jinx days of their youth.... :p

Spirit
January 26th, 2007, 10:25 PM
LOL!

The DAY my dog turned 6 months old, he forgot his name. And the day he turned 1, he decided that he was better than me (and didn't have to listen anymore). He's very exact with timing the age thing (personally, I think he was just cheating by reading the calenday). lol

No seriously though, it starts around 6 months, then it gets better, then it gets worse again around 1. They tend to keep this up until they reach full maturity (2 or 3). We just call it the "adolescent years" where teenage-dom takes over and they test, test, test.

Then one day they just wake up and you're like "Who's dog are you?" That's a wonderful day (for most dog owners). lol

jayner
January 28th, 2007, 10:17 AM
I think this is quite normal, I have been reading a lot because I too have a 5 month old puppy and she's my first. If you goggle puppy stages, or developmental stages of puppies you will find that between 4-6 months they go through a rebellious type of stage where they forget everything it seems. I have been experiencing the same thing and all I can suggest is to stay the path. Good Luck!