Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sleeping

breeze
January 23rd, 2007, 12:04 AM
does anyone have trouble sleeping at night ?

yes

no

sometimes

Prin
January 23rd, 2007, 12:05 AM
lol usually? :D I don't have any trouble sleeping in the morning though.:o

breeze
January 23rd, 2007, 12:08 AM
or an afternoon nap. the problem is i can't shut my brain off when it is time for bed. I have tryied number of things except sleeping pills but it does not seem to work. it can get very fustrating when everyone else in the house including the dogs can sleep.:confused:

Prin
January 23rd, 2007, 12:10 AM
If you're on vacation and go to sleep when you're tired, do you sleep 8 hours? To me that's what sets the night owls apart from the insomniacs..

mummummum
January 23rd, 2007, 12:21 AM
What's it like to sleep eight hours ?

I've had chronic insomnia since early childhood (my poor mother...!). It's hard for others to understand that you don't ever get used to "getting no sleep", I'm just better at functioning really well on "exhausted" than most people.

Though, interestingly for all you other 2 - 4 hour a night folks, I find the older I get, unlike seniors who seem to need less sleep as they get older, I am needing more. So there may be hope by 60!

Maya
January 23rd, 2007, 12:22 AM
Have you tried melatonin? I find it helps a bit but your not supposed to take it for too long.

Tommysmom
January 23rd, 2007, 12:27 AM
My doc once told me that short sessions in a tanning booth help with sleeping for some people, I think it helps the body naturally produce melatonin. I had great afternoon naps in the tanning bed, but still don't sleep well at night!

Prin
January 23rd, 2007, 12:35 AM
If I go to bed at 4AM, I need 8 hours. If I go to bed before 2AM, I need 10 hours... :o I think it's because when I go to bed at 4AM, I fall asleep hard really quickly. :o

Prin
January 23rd, 2007, 12:43 AM
I wonder how the results of this poll will change when the early birds get on in the morning. :o

breeze
January 23rd, 2007, 01:27 AM
At least now I know I am not alone.

mummummum
January 23rd, 2007, 01:37 AM
I've never slept eight hours of my own accord. Even when I do my "crash and burn" it's never beyond 5 or 6 hours at a time. I can't imagine it.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 23rd, 2007, 06:50 AM
Funny I woke up way too early today cause I couldnt sleep. My wake up time is 4am now - :yell: ...but do you think I could stay in bed until then ...no I have been looking at my clock since about 2 am - at 3.30 I finally decided to get out of bed.

I have sleeping pills - just mild ones but I havent been taking them lately - because sometimes I sleep fine and other times I dont - there not supposed to be addictive but I dont want to take them everyday. :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 23rd, 2007, 06:52 AM
If I go to bed at 4AM, I need 8 hours. If I go to bed before 2AM, I need 10 hours... :o I think it's because when I go to bed at 4AM, I fall asleep hard really quickly. :o

funny your going to bed and I am just getting up :D

I need 8 hours too - I cant funtion on much less then that.

I wonder if you can train your body to get less sleep - or if having a nap during the day helps - but I can never nap I lay down for 5 minutes then think of all the things that need to be done and I get back up again.:)

brandynva
January 23rd, 2007, 07:09 AM
I don't know if I'm a nightowl or what. I can be dead tired and then when I get to bed I'm wide awake. My brain refuses to stop swirling. It's horrible! I like to stay up late, and I get my best sleep in the morning after the sun comes up. Maybe I'm a vampire??? :eek:

Hunter's_owner
January 23rd, 2007, 07:47 AM
Sometimes I have trouble sleeping. If I am stressed for some reason, I find that I can lie in bed with my mind racing for hours. Now I have learned to pick up a book and that usually takes my mind off whatever so I can sleep.

Before I started work, I would stay up late and sleep til noon:cloud9: I don't know who enjoyed that more, me or the dogs. But now that I work at 8:30, I am up by 7, so I try to be asleep by 11, but that isn't always the case.

Golden Girls
January 23rd, 2007, 08:27 AM
I've never had a problem falling asleep, when it's time it's time, standing, sitting whereever I just go down. I've fallen asleep on more people then I'd like to admit :o a good 5 hrs is the norm and it's enough.

One of my sister's suffer from chronic insomnia. She swears she hasn't had a decent sleep for over 20 years :eek: I really believed she just thought she never slept but her last visit (from Calgary) proved otherwise. She had me take every battery out of every clock, every light off - she drove me insane. She couldn't believe one minute were talking, the next I'm snoring < -- which BTW went on all night - I finally believe her

I just couldn't imagine, it must be awful being exhausted yet not sleep :shrug:

Kristin7
January 23rd, 2007, 08:45 AM
I have bouts of insomnia. Used to have trouble falling asleep, like it would take hours to get there. Nowadays, I fall asleep fine but often wake up in the middle of the night, toss and turn for hours and finally fall back asleep about an hr before I really have to get up. Exhausting! Sometimes it helps me fall back asleep if I get up and eat a small bite of something, like a few crackers.

breeze
January 23rd, 2007, 08:56 AM
It must be a female thing, because all the men in my family falls asleep fine,(anywhere, anytime). when i was a teenager had no problems but since i had kids it has gotten worse. Sometimes I think i will never sleep again :pray:

Lukka'sma
January 23rd, 2007, 10:24 AM
I have a very difficult time falling asleep, staying asleep, getting back to sleep after waking.
I would say I average 2 - 3 hours of sleep a night, but not consecutive hours, it is chopped up in short naps.
That is why I choose to work evening shifts only. Laying in bed at night and looking at the clock thinking I have to hurry up and sleep because its 4am and I have to be up by 5:30 for work would make it even harder on me than it is now.
I also think that men have an easy time sleeping. My husband can sleep for 14 hours straight, get up and lay on the couch watching TV and be sleeping within 5 minutes. Makes me furious!

breeze
January 23rd, 2007, 10:36 AM
So there must be something that is telling our minds bodys and sprit of females that "you are not allowed to sleep, or you can only have a certain amount of sleep other wise it's not good for you". :D because most men don't seem to have this problem

brandynva
January 23rd, 2007, 12:54 PM
My husband usually has no problems sleeping. Occasionally he will, but usually only when he's really stressed. I am envious of his capability to fall asleep quickly. Usually he'll be talking to me and fall asleep midsentence and be snoring the next breath. This may contribute to my bad sleeping too. I usually wind up on the couch most nights. :sad:

breeze
January 23rd, 2007, 12:59 PM
Yes the snoring can get you every time and now my puppy started to snore ... suround sound just what i wanted !! :D and it's not even my birthday !! lol

papillonmama
January 23rd, 2007, 01:05 PM
I'm a sometimes person. I have to force myself to sleep sometimes simply because my kids don't sleep any later than 7. So even if at 2 am I don't feel like sleeping, I have to or I won't be able to handle them. Then there are times when I can't wake up, I'll take a nap and I just won't be able to get up.

I used to work the night shift. I loved that schedule, because I would work all night, come home just when my eldest was waking up, I could get her ready for school and then take catnaps all day long. I had saturday and sunday off and that was the worse, cause my schedule would get all ruined, I would be going to bed in the middle of the night instead of morning, and when I had to go back to work I would feel terrible. There's something nice about waking up in time for dinner. And as a bonus, I got paid almost twice what the day-time people recieved, and it was an almost stress free job, just one of those, go go go kind of things.

hazelrunpack
January 23rd, 2007, 01:17 PM
I actually sleep better in the afternoons and am a night-owl--great for those occasion third-shift jobs, but makes it hard to get back on everyone else's schedule when the job ends. Now that I'm back on a "first shift" schedule, I do sometimes feel too energized at night to relax.

But I found a trick. I imagine myself flying (like a bird, not in a plane) over a frozen river at night...all I can see is the white ice shining in the moonlight below and the black trees on the shoreline. What I'm looking for is a hole in the ice. Eventually, I find it and dive into it. Works every time...I'm asleep by the time I 'hit the water'.

What's weird about the trick is that getting trapped in freezing water under the ice just doesn't appeal to me at all...in fact, I'm almost phobic about not walking on frozen ponds/rivers/lakes because the idea is so disturbing to me. :eek: So why the heck my 'hole-in-the-ice" meditation works is beyond me! :shrug: Maybe my brain shuts down to spare me the horrific realization that I'm trapped in freezing water under the ice? :o

breeze
January 23rd, 2007, 02:31 PM
I have tried many thing ecluding meditation. the only thing it does for me is get me more fustrated cause i can't relaxe. someone told me to write things down so that I don't have to worry about them until tomorrow, I tried that the only thing it does is make my lists even longer for the next day :yuck:
maybe i should try a vacation ?? :) that might work you think??

SARAH
January 23rd, 2007, 02:39 PM
POWERFUL SLEEP
Click-here to download the first 2 chapters of Powerful Sleep as a gift from Kacper to you...

There’s actually a method to optimize your body’s inner sleep system to sleep less, and have more energy in your life than when you slept LONGER.

Sleep expert Kacper Postawski spills the beans in his fascinating new ebook “Powerful Sleep.” While most people think sleep is just “sleep,” it is actually a complex and fascinating system which you can optimize in order to sleep less, and create an abundance of energy in your life.

Click-Here

Hope those links work, if not try to go to the main http://www.atozfitness.com/index_work.html page and look for Powerful Sleep on the right hand side. I've read Kacper's book, and it does make a lot of sense. You won't even need 8 hours of sleep! (I did, thought I needed it to even be human during the day). Oh, and even if he spells it Kacper, it's still pronounced Casper!

And no, the links in the article above did NOT work, of course! Figures.

Stacer
January 23rd, 2007, 05:01 PM
I'm a sometimes. I have a hard time falling asleep when things are stressful. Since graduating I have slept really well. I have sleeping oddities though. I am a horrible napper, I am usually tired after work and I would love to lay onthe couch and nap, I know I would have no problem falling asleep, it's the waking up that is the problem, I always feel like s**t after a nap no matter how good it feels to be actually napping. I now know that the only time I can sleep is if I am able to commit a very large chunk of time to it. Otherwise I feel bad and usually have a headache, the same is true if I sleep way too long.

I find that if I keep my room extra dark with no noise I get a better night's sleep. Also we don't have our computer or any other "day time activities" in our room, no tv, no desk. The bedroom is for sleeping and.... I've read that reserving the room for sleeping and nothing else actually allows your brain to switch modes from activity, work, hectic stuff into relaxation mode, nothing to worry about.

I love sleep, I sometimes look forward to bedtime all day. Is that weird?

SARAH
January 23rd, 2007, 05:04 PM
I love sleep, I sometimes look forward to bedtime all day. Is that weird?

Alone bedtime or ... ? If not then no, not weird :love: If alone, well, still not weird :laughing:

heidiho
January 23rd, 2007, 05:20 PM
I had to get in on this,because i see so many of you are the same.Once i hit the bed my mind goes in 20 different directions i will think about soemthing from 20 years ago,to something that hasnt even happend(my future,kids,what if the car breaks down,what if something happend to my boyfriend) it goes on and on,and god forbid i wake up in the middle of the night it starts all over again.........and i need at least 8 to 9 hours of sleep

heidiho
January 23rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
Sarah- no way is that weird,i love love love sleep,i dont know if it is because all of the years when i was using and didnt get sleep or what,but i love sleep also,and especially now that we have roxy.....

Maya
January 23rd, 2007, 05:31 PM
heidiho, i'm like that too. I think of like all these things usually stuff I want to forget and if I wake up in the night it starts again. I get it the morning sometimes as well. It really sucks.

Does anyone know of a sleeping pill that is not addictive and not hard on the liver? I started taking the over the counter ones but i'm starting to rely on them to much and it says to only take them occasionally.

Stacer
January 23rd, 2007, 05:39 PM
Alone bedtime or ... ? If not then no, not weird If alone, well, still not weird

Alone bedtime and the sleeping, oh how I love to sleep.

Stacer
January 23rd, 2007, 05:41 PM
Does anyone know of a sleeping pill that is not addictive and not hard on the liver? I started taking the over the counter ones but i'm starting to rely on them to much and it says to only take them occasionally.

Have you tried Valerian? It's an herbal supplement that aids sleep. I don't know about it's effects on the liver though. I don't beleive that it's addictive.

Maya
January 23rd, 2007, 06:20 PM
Yes I did try that, didn't seem to do anything. I'll probably try another herbal remedy. St John's Wort actually helped a bit but i've heard it's not easy on the liver either.:shrug: Thanks:)

heidiho
January 23rd, 2007, 06:27 PM
Isnt it horrible!!!!! I hate it,and no matter how i try i cant turn it off.....In the morning i have to get right out of bed,cant just lay there,or the thinking starts again.......

heidiho
January 23rd, 2007, 06:29 PM
I have tried tea,warm milk,and have tried over the counter sleep aids,but they just dont work it is unfortunate that the narcotics for me are the only ones that work,but with my past i cannot take any of those(xanax,valium) so i am on my own........

Maya
January 23rd, 2007, 07:59 PM
Isnt it horrible!!!!! I hate it,and no matter how i try i cant turn it off.....In the morning i have to get right out of bed,cant just lay there,or the thinking starts again.......
Yup it kicks me out of bed in the morning too. I think my nervous system is messed up from lots of past trauma in my life. Relaxing exercises sometimes even make things worse.

If I try counting to ten and then starting again over and over sometimes that helps. Usually my mind will wander before I get to ten so the idea is that if I can prevent it from wandering into unpleasant thoughts long enough it lets my body take over and get sleepy. Not sure if that makes sense.

I haven't tried anything really heavy duty, except some gross antidepressants that made me feel awful. I know if I did it would be to much of a relief and i'd have to keep self medicating. I find alcohol keeps me awake which is odd because it is supposed to be a depressant. :shrug:

heidiho
January 23rd, 2007, 08:09 PM
Oh my god,i really thought i was just super unchemically balanced,because i have counted sheep or #'s and you got it,no sooner would i be counting then my mind would go back to something that happend in jr high,or when i was 12,nothing bad,could be fun times i had or whatever,or it will jump to 3 years from now,will i have a baby or just any random thought,nope heavy meds for sure are way to addicting,and not the way to go.....

breeze
January 23rd, 2007, 08:14 PM
So why can some of us sleep during the day no problem but when we go to bed at night it is worst. They say things are worst at night like the flu, fever, clods ect.. and SLEEP. :confused:

heidiho
January 23rd, 2007, 08:25 PM
That is one thing i just cant do,is take an afternoon cat nap,wish i could...

breeze
January 23rd, 2007, 08:29 PM
I have no problem with taking a nap in the afternoon but if i do then i really won't sleep at night soo i fight and fight to stay awake, then when bed time comes around i am too tired to sleep "a viscious circle." I would just love to be able to go to bed and sleep sound for at least one night just to see how it feels..:pray:

Frenchy
January 23rd, 2007, 08:58 PM
I have no problem sleeping. My problem is ; I always fall asleep on the couch, use to drive my ex mad. I usually get up around 3-4 am,get the dogs out, lock the doors,shut the lights,go to bed,go back to sleep and get up at 5h45 am. I get to sleep about 6 hours on week nights and 8 hours on week ends,depending on who I'm fostering :D

Frenchy
January 23rd, 2007, 09:00 PM
Alone bedtime or ... ? If not then no, not weird :love: If alone, well, still not weird :laughing:

naughty naughty girl. :p