Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Screaming at my dog....

birdy_sharp
January 22nd, 2007, 04:02 PM
Why is it that my sisters and roomie, think its ok to yell at, and sometimes hurt my dog. She's about 60 lbs., aussie shep/lab mix, but she's well behaved, listens to her commands, and is not a problem.

No matter what I've said, they don't listen, to say (not scream) her commands, to not scream at her, be rough with her, don't complain that because they feed her scraps all the time, she begs and steals food from them. She doesn't even try to beg from me, just them. I know they don't hate her, but I'm going to start beating on the next person who starts on my dog again, because she's just doesn't deserve it. She gets scared when they yell at her, she avoided one sister for a month once!!!

I needed to rant, we only have another month to put up with this, I'm worried my sweet dog is badly affected by them. But my fiance adores her as much as me!

Prin
January 22nd, 2007, 04:08 PM
but I'm going to start beating on the next person who starts on my dog again, because she's just doesn't deserve it. Oh, yeah, I'd already be there. :evil: :frustrated:

chico2
January 22nd, 2007, 04:13 PM
I'll join in:evil:

twisten
January 22nd, 2007, 04:26 PM
You can count me in also.:mad:

Hunter's_owner
January 22nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
Yep, I'm there too:frustrated:

dustybird
January 22nd, 2007, 04:32 PM
Well I am all for the beating but I like to get a little sneakier. Lock the dog in your room with some earmuffs, wait for roomies to be sound asleep and then sneak into their rooms and whip out the blow horn or start screaming, and then simply say, gee isn't it nice to be yelled at. Then warn them that everytime they do wrong by your dog you will find away to get even. Of course this could backfire but it would be fun.:evil:

TeriM
January 22nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
I like the way you think dustybird :thumbs up . It's obvious you need to do something drastic to get their attention. Good luck.

mummummum
January 22nd, 2007, 08:10 PM
You might want to remind them that they may need you to babysit their skin children one day and that you're taking notes on how they would like their children disciplined based of their treatment of your doggy.

Colubridz
January 22nd, 2007, 11:35 PM
You might want to remind them that they may need you to babysit their skin children one day and that you're taking notes on how they would like their children disciplined based of their treatment of your doggy.

Lol I liked that one, I feel for ya though. It's a shame they can't respect your wishes on how to treat your dog as it really can hinder your dogs emotinal security. What I found useful on my mom to get her to cut out giving into Duke when I first brought him home at 8 weeks of age ( essentially he would run over to her, nip her and then she'd pet him to reinforce it:eek: ) was to remind her when he was 70-90 pounds ( As he is a Rotti/GSD/Collie) it wouldn't be funny when he mauled her anytime he wanted attention. That along with a few pictures of survivors of dog attacks/bites and it pretty much cut out her behaviour. ( As if it's not hard enough to train a puppy I had to train my family as well)

You can suggest that by doing so they will create a neurotic and fear aggressive dog that YOU will have to live with the rest of your life and if they're getting fusterated at her to either a) call you ( as it is your dog) so that you can go take him for a walk to get him to calm down a bit ( not that puppies know the definition of calm) or b) to leave the room.

Duke is only 5 months old now and still is teething a little bit as his very last puppy teeth are finally coming out and though we have taught him biting on skin is a big no no the odd one occurs now and then and I've finally conditioned my family not to scream at him or get mad.

Hopefully you can train your family as well but I find any kind of visual aid and explaining why she is doing the behaviours and get them to view it from her point can greatly help in changing people's minds. Even if you made a colege ( I have no idea how to spell that) or various pics of abused scared looking dogs and bite wounds to show what they are helping create.You can end it off by attaching on the back some type of abused dog poem to get the message across that your dog HAS feelings and DESERVES to be treated as a FAMILY member.

It can take time but don't give up, just be creative until you can get your point across:)

Kayla

birdy_sharp
January 24th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Well I am all for the beating but I like to get a little sneakier. Lock the dog in your room with some earmuffs, wait for roomies to be sound asleep and then sneak into their rooms and whip out the blow horn or start screaming, and then simply say, gee isn't it nice to be yelled at. Then warn them that everytime they do wrong by your dog you will find away to get even. Of course this could backfire but it would be fun.:evil:

I'm a boat owner, and I have an extreamely loud rechargable air horn in my room, and I know my dog will howl with it! :evil: As it is, I'm moving in a month... But she's getting her back up easier over anything, which has me more worried that someones abusing her when I'm at work. In a house of five people, only one other person works!!

And thanks for the support, it makes me feel better to be reminded that there's many other people who love their pets, and treat them right. I'm not a freak!!

Bridget

LynLyn
January 24th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I've got a pretty good right hook if you need it!! (ahh yes the only thing I learned in self defense class)

Frenchy
January 24th, 2007, 09:06 PM

do it do it do it :thumbs up :D