Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Road salt is making me insane.....

pitgrrl
January 22nd, 2007, 02:38 PM
This is totally just a rant, so be warned.......:o

Between the freezing temps and all the road salt I swear both the dogs and I are going to start going nuts very, very soon. Usually we average a total of 3 to 4 hours of walks a day, but lately it's been more like 1. If it isn't so cold that even with the warmest dog coats I can find and boots the dogs are freezing their butts off, then everything is covered in so much salt that either they have to wear boots, which they hate and aren't too comfortable, or they're screaming in pain trying to stand on one leg because of the $(%*#(@%*#%*@% salt.

This morning, thinking it was warmer and they didn't need boots, we took them out, only to turn around after a few blocks because their feet hurt so much. We even ended up carrying the dogs (who aren't small) accross St. Joseph, much to the amusement of all the drivers.

Do my dogs just have super sensitive feet? What does everyone else do about this? Anyone know of any dog boots that don't have the closer right around the dew claws, because I think that's what's making them so uncomfortable?

Dogastrophe
January 22nd, 2007, 02:59 PM
Lucy and Jack are both very sensitive to the salt on the sidewalks. They either freeze their feet if the sidewalk is wet or they get the salt jammed between their pads. We are constantly stopping to warm their feet up and clean out the salt. I order a set of boots for each of them today which I am hoping will solve some of the problem.

Prin
January 22nd, 2007, 03:17 PM
My doggies are sensitive too. The boots aren't too comfy for Boo sometimes, but I think it's because we put them on him when he was licking his paw constantly, so as soon as the boots are on, he thinks there's a licky delicacy under them...

But yeah, Montreal uses a TON of salt. It's pretty disgusting. We used to have to fill the bath with enough water to cover their paws and throw them in there just to give them relief.:sad:

jessi76
January 22nd, 2007, 03:17 PM
I was just at my local feed store this weekend trying to come up w/ a solution for my own dog, other than booties. I tried Muttluk's - it was hysterical to see Tucker try and walk in them, but the poor guy was just miserable, and they were a bit too small. his paws are between the small and med sizes.

I discovered this stuff online -

Musher's Secret Paw Protector Wax

Protect paws from sand, hot pavement, ice, and salt with all natural 100% wax-based cream. When applied to pads and between toes, Musher's Secret™ dries in seconds to form a semi-permeable shield. Non-toxic, non-allergenic, non-staining formula can be used weekly or as needed to prevent abrasions, burning, drying and cracking. Perfect for mushing, ski-jorring, hunting, walking or before any outdoor activity. Acts as an invisible boot to prevent potential paw problems. Easy-to-apply formula contains vitamin E to moisturize and help heal wounds and keep paws healthy.

Dogastrophe
January 22nd, 2007, 03:23 PM
This sounds very similiar to the Invisible Boot product (except for the drying aspect, which Invis Boot does not do). We've used Invisible Boot but it became a real pain in the as$ to apply to multiple dogs when you are trying to keep them from getting out or from leaving little gooey footprints on the floor.

pitgrrl
January 22nd, 2007, 03:51 PM
I've used invisible boot, and it's pretty good, but still doesn't last a full walk, more like half. Maybe I'll have to try the Musher's stuff....

They do have these ridiculous disposable boots at a feed store here which might be more comfortable, but I just don't know if I can take the dogs out looking like they have coloured condoms on their feet.:eek:

Prin
January 22nd, 2007, 03:58 PM
LOL can you take lots of pics if you do? (Pics of your dogs, the people's reaction as you pass by... :D)

mummummum
January 22nd, 2007, 10:10 PM
They do have these ridiculous disposable boots at a feed store here which might be more comfortable, but I just don't know if I can take the dogs out looking like they have coloured condoms on their feet.:eek:

Oh, if nothing else buy them for US !!!!:laughing:

t.pettet
January 22nd, 2007, 11:12 PM
I use vaseline, spread small amount evenly on their pads and wipe it off when we come in. It seems to offer protection from the stinging salt but will pick up small gravel so a wipe after walks is necessary. It also softens their pads that have a tendency to get crusty from the snow and ice.

erykah1310
January 22nd, 2007, 11:14 PM
:pray: so thankful I dont have to deal with salt here, dont travel much with the dogs to "town" in the winter.
I was unaware that road salt was so hard on dogs, makes sense though.
:grouphug: to all the salted pawed dogs:grouphug:

Prin
January 22nd, 2007, 11:36 PM
Yeah, the worst is when the road is clear but wet. You don't see the salt because it's all dissolved, but it's still just as bad.:rolleyes: