Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Peeing When Excited

warriorQ
January 22nd, 2007, 12:47 PM
Hello All! I just joined and I have some questions about my 12 week old English Springer Spaniel. I will start with this question first.

Overall Tesa has been a great dog. She is almost fully house trained. She doesn't go over to a corner and pee like she did when we first brought her home. She doesn't go potty in her crate either. So everything is going pretty good. But, for an example this morning my boyfriend let her out of her crate took her outside for a good 5 minutes. When she returned she came running over to me. I was standing by the dryer and I said Hi Tesa. I noticed when she was running to me she had her little stubby tail tucked down and she was running kinda sideways. She kinda looked like a C. She just started doing this, and when she does she is peeing. It's like when she gets excited she dribble's. She is going to be a inside dog for the most part (nights and when we are home) and I do not want her dribbling all over when she gets excited (especially on the carpet). What do I do, to make her stop this? During the day she goes out to the big kennel with our other dog (choc lab). Thanks

4thedogs
January 22nd, 2007, 01:11 PM
If it were excitement she would wiggle back and forth, not stay twisted on one side. I would take her to the vet for this.

She was out to go pee for 5 minutes but did she go when she was out?

Where are you located, do you have cold winters. A pup of any breed doesn't have the coat to protect them from the cold. With both breeds you have I wouldn't leave either out if you have cold winters.

warriorQ
January 22nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
According to my boyfriend, yes she did. But i have been noticing this at other times too.

She goes to the vet on friday for her shots.

I live in Washington (seattle). We don't get that much snow here as you guys do. My garage has heated floors and walls. In the winter it stays about 55-60 degrees. When it is cold here that is where my choc lab is during the day. At night he comes inside. He is 4 yrs old and it seems to work out pretty good.

Now that we have a new dog, she is inside at night and then during the day she goes out to the kennel with the choc lab which is 20X60. The kennel has covered sides and top for them to get out of the weather if it turns nasty. they also have 2 igloos. If I feel that it is going to be to cold for them I will put them in the garage before i go to work.

We made an agreement with our neighbor (Boyfriends, best friends dad(retired)) that if the dogs our not in the kennel that he would come over periodically to take them potty. This has worked out very well as niether of the dogs have had a accident in the garage. My neighbor is the one that gave us our choc lab. He has 2 dogs of his own and when his female had her pups he said we get one for free! :)

Bottom line I'm not putting both of my dogs in a crate for 8 hours a day. I leave my house at 5:30 and my boyfriend gets home from work at 1.:thumbs up

Kristin7
January 22nd, 2007, 03:53 PM
She is young yet, and may grow out of this. My ex boyfriend's parents also have a Springer. She did the same thing for about a year or so. She still does on occasion (i think she's 3 now), but only when VERY excited. I think for some it is just a puppy thing. My only advice is to try and not get her excited, although that may not be very easy. I would definitly not yell at her or anything while she is doing it or she may just get worse.

breeze
January 22nd, 2007, 03:57 PM
my first dog did that all the time even when she was an adlut. we would have to let her out before anyone said hello to her. once shed pee you could say hello and play with her.