Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pop Ups

SARAH
January 22nd, 2007, 10:58 AM
Every single time I go to sign in on Pets.ca, I get this annoying pop-up from

http://media.fastclick.net/w/pc.cgi?mid=121001&sid=18128

telling me I've won cash and travel. Every time, I'm the 100000000 person to sign in. The first time, I filled in the spaces, and they called from a travel agent a few days leter. Sure, I'd won. A trip to Florida (although I'd chosen another of the 4 destinations), but I had to pay X.-$ to confirm! I said what? You tell me I've won and then I have to pay? Needless to say, I did not pay, and I hung up on them.

Is there any way Pets.ca can get rid of this recurring pop-up? I don't get it anywhere else.

The main thing though, do people really go for this sort of thing? Do they realy give their credit card number over the phone to pay for something the allegedly won in the first place?

Sorry, I'm just a bit confused here.

jiorji
January 22nd, 2007, 11:20 AM
lol YOU went for that sort of thing

never EVER put your information on random popups:shrug: EVER!!!
I think that's the first thing they teach you in internet 101 :cool:

secondly...if you download the googlebar, it'll block all popups for you. I don't see any popups or ads. Norton Internet also blocks MANY MANY ads and popups.

x.l.r.8
January 22nd, 2007, 11:53 AM
What pop-ups :D
Mac users unite :thumbs up
Just download a popup blocker, they catch most of them, or you could go to Linux, but that feels to PC users, like going to Mac anyhow :shrug:

brandynva
January 22nd, 2007, 02:14 PM
I, too, get this popup and close it. I have the google toolbar but it doesn't block it for some reason. Maybe because I use IE7 that has tabs...

Dogastrophe
January 22nd, 2007, 02:17 PM
What pop-ups :D
Mac users unite :thumbs up

You got that right!! :) I've been pop up free since I bought my Macbook

With respect to the pop ups related to 'contests', you will always be a 'winner' or the '9,958,235th visitor' and so on. Never EVER fill them out ... they are all a scam of some sort.

Prin
January 22nd, 2007, 02:30 PM
The popup doesn't bug me anymore. There's just one and it goes behind the IE or Mozilla window usually, so I just right click the window on the task bar and get rid of it without seeing it. :shrug: And Marko got rid of the screaming ones, so I'm happy.:)

mummummum
January 23rd, 2007, 03:04 PM
This is queer ~ I was having problems with pets.ca freezing when I clicked on the bulletin board so I "unblocked" pop ups. That didn't make a difference. So I reset to block the pop-ops. Then I found the freezing usually occurred if I went onto Craigslist first and had pop-ups blocked. Now, I have pop-ups allowed and don't go to Craigslist first and generally I've lost "da freeze". But! I never actually see the pop-up ~ only the outside frame.

Gremlins I tell ya ! Gremlins!

CyberKitten
January 23rd, 2007, 03:29 PM
You don't even need a Mac. Use the right browser and your pop up will be blocked. Windows IE is prob the worst browser - in terms of insecurity et al. While I like some of its features, I do not care for its insecure features and I use FireFox or Opera. Even Netscape is better but still can have popups - even with its own pup up blocker.
In some cases, the pop ups are actually small programs that are downloaded to your hard drive just by virtue of you loading the page. The anti-Popup apps will not stop these, needless to say - regardless of whether of your OS or browser. You have to just make sure you have good security and anti virus protection.

And no, I NEVER give my credit card online!! (especially on something like a browser or MSN which I rarely use anyway) I am not keen on giving on the phone either. And that pop up you mention is very scary!! It is like these phone calls that say "You have won a trip" , just call such a such a number and voila, you end up with extra charges to your phone bill. I have had such phone calls and we just hang up (for some reason, I get more of them at my office - not sure why).

SARAH
January 23rd, 2007, 03:36 PM
Get a lot of "long distance" calls too, with nothing but silence when we pick up. A couple of "jerks" have tried to sell me gardening services and weed services (de-weeding, not the smokable kind, lol) but living in a rented condo, what do I need them for :mad: besides, if I did need them, I would google and find someone! OR look in the yellow pages! STOP bugging me :frustrated: :yell: :mad: lol. Next time, we're going unlisted!

brandynva
January 23rd, 2007, 03:43 PM
Do they have the optout program in Canada? Here in the states you can call a 1-800 number and opt out of all those junk calls. Ours stopped completely.

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

I think it's a states only thing, but they may have a similar Canadian version?