Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My boys become a talker overnight

RolandsMom
January 22nd, 2007, 09:10 AM
We had Roland (my 5 month old kitten) neutered a week and a half ago and hes become a talker overnight. we have him fully leash trained and i take him out as much as possible every day and let him run, supervised, around the back yard. He has every toy he could possibly need (of which the springs are his absolute favorite, they keep him busy for hours!!!) but i wonder if he is bored? he has a window perch to look ouside. i think the birds tease him though. not fair poor boy.
He wakes us up at 6 with little whirrs and tiny meows (and sometimes a nip or two) and doesnt stop talking until he finally falls asleep underneath any balnket he can can get into. Any ideas? is he unhappy or is he just a talker?

Hunter's_owner
January 22nd, 2007, 09:24 AM
He may just be a talker. If you are concerned about it in any way, you could always get him checked by the vet. But if he is acting fine in every other way, like normal litter box use and normal activity levels and eating fine, then you have probably just got yourself a really vocal cat:D

RolandsMom
January 22nd, 2007, 09:29 AM
yes hes eating and behaving in the same way as usual, ltter box, food etc so i guess hes just telling lots of stories. another thing, do they not get bored with the same dry food all the time? i dont want to start wet food and i was wondering if i should vary the flavours (althought he gets lots of treats as variety)?

jiorji
January 22nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
about the birds "teasing" him.......I doubt it.My cats sit on the window perch and look at the birds and they love it. It's part of being a cat. I would consider it unfair if they got to the birds.

I think all cats enjoy waking up their owners that early. It's because he wants your attention because he loves you not because he's bored.

allygirlxo8
January 22nd, 2007, 09:13 PM
it can be normal for males to talk... i know a lot of male cats that talk to their owners. mine does. as for the food. cats do like a change in food. there is a book i read about cats. i tt explained that a change in food for cats is really good because it teaches the cat to eat different things incase the cat is on its own or gets a different owner then it can eat the food given without a problem

Maya
January 22nd, 2007, 10:20 PM
Cat's love watching birds even if it's just through the window(even at night), sometimes they even talk to the birds in a funny kind of chirp. My cat was also a talker, and he seemed to enjoy the interaction when I talked back. It would be a bit odd though if he was talking non-stop and it just started out of the blue. I'd keep an eye on him and if you see anything else that seems strange then give the vet a call. I did know a cat that started talking quite a bit when he became sick, even small changes in behaviour can sometimes indicate a serious problem.

Also very important, males are especially prone to developing urinary blockages, so be sure to look into a good quality low ash cat food. You can probably find some suggestions in the pet food forum.:cat:

[edit]Just noticed you said he is only on dry. He needs to be getting wet as his main food about twice a day and the dry as a snack that you leave out for him to nibble on. Dry is not usually very high in protien, it's more carbs and not enough nutrients.

TeriM
January 23rd, 2007, 02:28 AM
I'd say he's probably just a talker. I have one cat who will make noise at night until I just call her name and talk to her for a few secs then she if fine. My other will come and stomp all over me at 6:30 and will purr about 2 inches from my face and drool :yuck: on me until I grab him against me for a cuddle session.

RolandsMom
January 26th, 2007, 09:52 AM
the whole dry vs wet food debate is confusing. my vet told me he doesnt need wet food. i have him on Neutro Max kitten (the fortified one). hes putting on weight and growing like a weed! he seems big for 5 months! although i cant remember how big my other cats were when they were that age! (i only have him now)
as for his talking i think its because he wants to go outside. he seems calmer once we have been out for a bit. i think hes going to be an outside cat in the summer. i dont think we will be able to keep him inside if we tried!