Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm Pregnant...how to introduce?

puppy4ever
January 22nd, 2007, 01:54 AM
Hi everyone! Just wondering if anyone can give me some tips on how to introduce the dog to baby? How do I go about that? I've still got some time.

Any problems or heads up that I should know about?

vfrohloff
January 22nd, 2007, 06:15 AM
I'm currently pregnant and have several pets. I watch baby shows on TV and turn the volume up really loud whenever a baby cries. At first all the pets seemed a little freaked out, but now they just sleep through it. I think you can buy CDs of babies crying to help get your pets used to the sound. I also have started spending a little less time with them, and my DH does more of the caretaking and dog walking. When the baby is born I'm going to send DH home with a blanket the baby was wrapped in at the hospital and have him hang it up in the house so they get used to the smell of the baby before we bring him home. I've also set up the playpen and baby swing in the livingroom so the pets get used to seeing these things around the house.

badger
January 22nd, 2007, 08:54 AM
So when's the big day, vfrohloff?

Never mind, I just saw my answer on another thread. How exciting!

Spirit
January 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
Clean diapers are another good thing to have around for scent purposes before baby arrives. There's going to be a lot of those!

This baby is now part of the pack, so it's important to teach your dog that there is very important new member, and he doesn't have to be left out. He can still participate but the baby much higher in the pack status than he is.

Introducing to smells before the baby comes home is a great first step (clothing, lotions, diapers, etc). If there are any rules that will change, do it now so your dog doesn't associate them with the baby. Sounds will also help (good idea with the crying on tv!, rattles, baby monitor, etc).

You will be tending to baby much more than to the dog when he/she is awake, so when the baby is sleeping is a good time to give the dog attention (even letting the dog cuddle with you while you nap), but be careful about doing it only during these times. One of the best things you can do (when you can do it) is include your dog in activities with the baby. Going out for walks together is probably the best way to achieve this, but there are other things you can do in the house as well to ensure that your dog will not become jealous of this new child who's taking away all his attention.

Do some more research on this, and maybe asking a dog psychologist or two if you can find one.

Congratulations!!