Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

old debate relived

Catt31
March 18th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Ok, I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find it anywhere!! Now that I know about this big Iams thing, I want to switch food for Brick (64 lb. Rotti/Shepherd cross).

Any suggestions of what is good, and will keep him healthy and happy?? Something within reasonable price range of course (I'm only a teacher!) and nothing raw (sorry Carina, I can't convince the hubby-to-be to switch to raw!!) :D

I've heard Science diet isn't good. I've used Nutro for my cats and they liked it....is nutro good for dogs too??

Thanks guys & girls!!! ;)

LavenderRott
March 18th, 2004, 09:15 PM
I was feeding Canidae before I switched to raw. Chase was doing good on it.

Luba
March 18th, 2004, 10:31 PM
I don't do raw meat with Sadie but she gets mostly chicken, turkey, lamb, salmon, sardines supplemented with veggies and I do give her in addition MediCal developmental for pups.

:D

Carina
March 18th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Well if EVERYONE did raw those of us that do wouldn't be able to find cheap dog meat because it would be a hot item! :)

I like Canidae too...though I'm kind of a proponent of switching & mixing different good kibbles (& other food if you wish) together. Just because it seems so weird to me that we should feed only one brand for the life of an animal...it makes them so fussy & sensitive about food, which just isn't natural, IMHO.

Here's a page, with the WDJ top ten list:
http://www.bowchow.com/dogfeeding.html

I'd add Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul in there. Dumb name, good food. :) Also Natural Balance. Nutro is not the worst food you can feed, if you can't get any other good ones.

And remember, if your local pet store doesn't carry a certain brand, they can sometimes order it in for you if you ask.
The premium foods are often no more expensive b/c you have to feed much less - as much as half the amount - to maintain a dog's weight.

Spoiled
March 19th, 2004, 06:33 PM
I feed my dog Eagle Pack. I don't know if you guys have heard about it, but it seems like my dog kind of likes it. I've also heard that Technical food is good.

Solid Gold is supposed to be about the closest to raw food that you can get. My dog likes it, but its kind of expensive.:rolleyes:

Catt31
March 19th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Tell me more about the raw veggies that you feed Sadie. What veggies are good and what should we stay away from? Do you cook up an extra piece of chicken for her (minus the spices) ?

I'm actually really curious about this diet...and if I can learn more, maybe I can convince my fiancee that it will be good for Brick. That bowchow site Carina sent is pretty good, I will do more reading when I have a chance!!!

Thanks experts!!! ;)

Luba
March 19th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Well so far I have given Sadie

Potato, Carrot, Celery, Tomato, Red and Green pepper
No incidents with any of them, just make sure they are chopped fine or they go right through
The potato I boil the rest she gets raw

For chicken I just have been boiling her an entire chicken with some parsley and garlic
Same for Turkey but I boil turkey breast for her and the other day she had boiled lamb and loved it.

This weekend we're gonna try beef but don't laugh I can't stand the smell of beef cooking so I have to cook it outdoors ha ha ha!

Don't forget, like Carina was mentioning before ( and she is soooo smart) that they can have canned fish too :D

As far as veggies go, the only veggies that I believe are not appropriate are onions..... the rest you can experiment on from what I have read.

Is that right Carina? I dont' wanna give false advise ;)

Carina
March 20th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Luba

As far as veggies go, the only veggies that I believe are not appropriate are onions..... the rest you can experiment on from what I have read.

Is that right Carina? I dont' wanna give false advise ;)

Yep! :) Onions will cause anemia if fed in a large enough amount, or as a small regular part of a dog's diet.

If you feed canned fish, you can squeeze a vitamin E cap over it at the same time. Also a good antioxidant & helps absorption of the omega 3 in the fish. Excellent for skin & coat, my dogs get some 2-3x a week.

Catt31
March 21st, 2004, 09:54 AM
Has anyone had any luck with Royal Canin dogfood? Its on the top dry dog food list, just wondering if anyone had any personal experience with it!! I checked out the website, and it seems pretty good (but then, so did Iams!! :( ) We may try this, or Canidae or Eagle Pack......not sure which one yet!!:confused:

Luba
March 21st, 2004, 10:04 AM
Ahhh great advise re the vitamin e with fish :D

Sadie had salmon for her breakfast today and I should have added that!

Next time :)

Spoiled
March 21st, 2004, 10:13 AM
Well...should I give my dog raw vegtables to? I'm feeding him only on Eagle Pack and he seems fine, but maybe it would be heathier for him to be on Eagle Pack and some raw vegtables?

Great, now I'm confused!:rolleyes:

Luba
March 21st, 2004, 10:35 AM
There's nothing wrong with supplementing your dogs diet.

Introduce things slowly and see how your dog reacts to them.

Then again, I'm no expert but just going from experience.

My dog Rusty lived to 16, he was on a combination diet of dog food and regular fresh foods including meat, veggies and fruits

Sadie's getting more then he did but I only switched Rusty the last few yrs of his life and I think it did prolong his life greatly.

:D

(hat thief)

Chany
March 21st, 2004, 11:12 AM
Hi ! I am very new to this so please forgive any screw ups I make.
I have 2 dogs, and both are on I guess a RAW diet. I also didn't like the idea of raw meat and eggs so I boil up a dozen eggs put them back in the carton so they're ready to go for morning meals and for their evening meals I pour boiling water over the raw hamburger so its kind of partially cooked. It's probably all in my mind but I feel better about it and by the way I will never go back to commercially prepared dog food after reading what goes in it. By the by you know what really IRCKS me my vet was kind of concerned about if my dogs were getting everything they needed and wanted me to put them on MediCal (what her clinic sells). She got me some information on how MediCal uses human grade meat. Well for the beef or pork part they use liver, lungs and spleen, for the chicken they use chicken skin and intestine, so I looked at her and said I don't know about you but I don't eat that crap except liver and neither will my dogs. BUT what really P.M.O. is that MediCal gave her a natural diet I could follow if I insisted on doing this, only they said 300 grams of chicken breast a day for my dogs. Isn't that funny intestine and fat from them chicken breast from me.

Lucky Rescue
March 21st, 2004, 12:58 PM
I'm no expert on raw diets, and I don't feed them. Carina can give you all the info you need on that!

You don't say what else you're giving your dog, but what you describe is not adequate.

Here's an article on feeding raw.
BARF for dogs (http://pub180.ezboard.com/fdogcommunityfrm2.showMessage?topicID=3.topic)

Chany
March 21st, 2004, 02:58 PM
No,No,No. Sorry about that. I was just explaining what I do to the raw part of the diet. My dogs are on Wendy Volhard's natural diet. In the morning they get grain mix + Vitamins B-50 ,C,and E +1 small egg+1/2 cup yogurt+ safflower oil and molasses. For their dinner they get 12 oz. of meat+2 1/2 oz. liver, Vitamin C+cod liver oil+acv+kelp+brewer's yeast+wheat germ+bran+dry herbs+calcium+fruit and finally powdered milk. My dogs are doing great on it, but I also have questions about vaccines and how often we do it. There seems to be a lot more concerns that yearly might be over doing it. Any one else concerned??

Luba
March 21st, 2004, 03:55 PM
I once read a wonderful article when my previous dog had pancreatitis and a vet indicated that wheat and wheat products are not necessary for dogs. Which is why so many of them develop allergies to their food, because there is wheat and barley products in a lot of processed foods as a filler so they say.

Hard call, but I suppose dogs as us may become glueten intolerant as well.

If you think about it 'in the good old days' so to speak dogs that ate natural foods lived a long time.

My mom is from northern Manitoba and their huskies used to get fed Caribou, Deer and Fish and raw veggies. From what mom tells me they were never ill and lived a long time.

I'm not sure on the wheat thing, why do they need wheat in their diet?

Carina, anyone???

Chany
March 21st, 2004, 04:40 PM
Hi Luba, I don't know why they need grains but Wendy's diet is 25% grains and 75% meat, better odds than the dog food companies isn't it? The grains mine eat are oats, sunflower, brown rice, flax and buckwheat. 1/2-3/4 cup every a.m. along with the egg, yogurt and vitamins and supplements. I just mix it all together (ground up of course) and measure out the amount. I don't know exactly what grains are the best for dogs but these seem to be okay so far for them. I started my one pup on it at 6 weeks, she is now 5 months and we have had no problems with her until her last vaccination, she was extremely gassy and was panting often. Never did either of those things before and now a week later the gas is gone and only pants a bit. I wonder if she reacted a little to the vaccination?

Luba
March 21st, 2004, 05:32 PM
Oh yes most probably, Sadie reacted to her vaccination...I think it was the Leptosporosis one that got her bad. She was sick for two weeks.

Yeah I think I'll have to do some more research on the grains issue. Flax and the others are probably much better then wheat.

This week I'm going to make some home made treats for Sadie and I'm going to try rye / rice flour to make them.

Have you baked any treats yet?

Chany
March 21st, 2004, 05:47 PM
Yes I have and still do!! They love them! Garlic 'n' Cheese Biscuits and Peanut Butter Biscuits. I confess though I do still buy Milk Bones because they get one every night before going to bed and they get the homemade ones as a treat for doing their business outside. We're still housebreaking although we're down to about one accident a day. Communication problems. Ha!Ha!:) :)

Chany
March 24th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Have to admit I am very computer illiterate. I went to the website to order Carinas book ( never ordered anything from the net before ) and I can't figure out how ( Call me dumb ok ok) Is it as safe as they say it is to give out your credit card number over the internet?? Has anyone done it? Good experiences or bad??

cmt489
March 24th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Cat31 Re the Royal Canin - I have had Oliver on their Natural puppy food to supplement his raw diet - if you want to see the results, photos are posted in the pictures section. I am currently changing him to Petcurean's Go Natural only because I am kind of partial to supporting local companies and my breeder feeds it (also as a supplement to raw diet) and highly recommends it.

Michelle