Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pork roasts on sale at Metro this week

technodoll
January 21st, 2007, 09:18 PM
must be time to put those piggies to sleep... :o 0.99/lbs for bone-in pork roasts. I bought 5 at IGA this weekend but will stock up at Metro again this week, the kids really love pork. it's a good red meat, too :thumbs up

Byrd
January 21st, 2007, 09:23 PM
Um.... I thought pork was "the other white meat".

So, the thing about pork being toxic to dogs is an old wive's tale then? My parents always said never to give a dog pork because it makes them ill. :shrug: Guess it's not true then.

Doesn't matter 'cause I don't eat pork anyway. :yuck:

technodoll
January 21st, 2007, 09:29 PM
ah yes, the "other white meat" marketing success :laughing:

somebody else somewhere explained it better than i could..

Pork is considered a red meat. In the mid 80's, when health-conscience consumers decided that red meat was unhealthy, the pork industry lost sales dramatically. In an effort to regain lost ground, the Pork Council started a catchy and attractive campaign ("The other white meat") in 1987. The campaign worked-- the demand for pork quickly rose. In fact, today's pork prices rise at a rate faster than the cost of living inflation. During the shift of perception, though, people began to refer to it as a white meat rather than a red meat (9 out of 10 people recognize the slogan).

You may find this link of interest when it comes to the changing face of pork:
http://www.nppc.org/resources/nutrition.html. Basically, pork has become
a competitive, nutritive rival to lean poultry.

yeah our farmed pork is clean, i don't eat it much myself (except for mmmm bacon!) and so far the dogs have been doing excellent on it :thumbs up

Byrd
January 21st, 2007, 09:35 PM
Can't remember the last time I had pork, 'cept bacon and ham. Honestly, the reason I don't eat it is that I just don't like it, I don't like the taste and the smell of it cooking makes me sick (unless it's smoked). :sick: This really does work out perfectly seeing that I'm marrying a Muslim (they don't eat pork). People tend to ask me if I'm Jewish when they find out that I don't eat it (or if I've converted to Islam when they find out about the fiance).

technodoll
January 21st, 2007, 09:38 PM
i totally understand... me it's beef. i'll get a hankering for a juicy burger once in a blue moon but other than that, i don't eat it, don't like it much :shrug: come to think of it, same for pork! LOL i'm so NOT a carnivore.

Byrd
January 21st, 2007, 09:53 PM
Oooohhhh I looove beef!!!! :lovestruck: I am sooo a carnivore.