Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

constantly scrounging

super dog feliz
January 21st, 2007, 06:20 PM
i guess this is a training question. my lil super dog...aka feliz...is constantly scrounging for food. she's a 13 week old pitbull/lab(?) mix that i found in the street searching for food about 5 or 6 weeks ago. so, i suppose that it makes sense. she's brilliant in other ways, already can roll over on command, not to mention spin, dance all kinds of doggy tricks. she's still working on being fully potty trained, but unless excited she's wait until we take her...still the occasional accident but usually our fault not hers.

my boyfriend thinks she has a food obsession, i guess i'm starting to worry too that it won't go away.

we live in the city and she comes to command...UNLESS...there is another dog or food present. i will take her to obedience school...but i would like to enjoy some off leash time on the street without her stopping and eating every chicken bone or other gross nuggets that litter the sidewalk. is it possible at this age to 'kick the habit'. also, when she's in the kitchen it's always nose to the ground scavaging...it's become worrisome in the sense that i don't know if she can just relax without searching for food. she eats plenty and we 'train' every day with treats. i guess i'm just trying to get advice now while she's young to see if this is 'normal', and if it doesn't pass, what can i do to 'break' it.

thank you.
:thumbs up
amber 4 feliz

Hunter's_owner
January 21st, 2007, 06:24 PM
At 13 weeks old, it will never be possible to walk the streets with a puppy off leash. That is something that I wouldn't do, even with an adult dog.

Obedience school is a very good idea, but I don't think you will be able to train your puppy to listen off leash at this age.

jesse's mommy
January 21st, 2007, 06:27 PM
First welcome to the forum and we would love to see pictures. There aren't enough pitty pictures here! :D

As for going off leash at 13 weeks, I would say that's a little too soon. She still in the "I trust you and am going to stick by your side" stage. Wait until she gets to be about 7 months old and starts to get rebellious and fearless. She will be into EVERYTHING! (Kind of like the terrible two's with skin-kids.) Obedience school is a wonderful idea and you should definitely go. It's not just beneficial for your dog, but for you as well. It really helps to teach you to be a better owner/handler.

Thank you for rescuing this little angel.

mummummum
January 21st, 2007, 08:21 PM
What are you feeding her? Perhaps she isn't getting enough nutrients.
There has been some very good advice given on the "leave it" command ~ just do a search to find all the threads. It's a tough one though, I have "sh-nacker" as well and man oh man, is she fast.

TeriM
January 22nd, 2007, 03:18 AM
Some dogs are just total scrounges. My eleven year old lab is also very well behaved unless she is on the scent of something edible. Given that she was found scavenging on the streets it would not be unusual for her to be food obsessed. I would work really hard on the leave-it command and also on the wait command. Use the wait command when feeding to make sure she is sitting calmly and waiting for your go ahead before eating.

I also would never trust any dog off leash in a city. There are to many dangers and temptations to tempt even the best trained dog. Leave the off leash stuff for parks and hiking trails. Try an extendable leash for your in city walks which will allow some freedom but enable you to maintain control.