Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pig as pet?

Maxine
January 21st, 2007, 04:27 PM
Hey everybody! Ok I was wondering if someone owns a pig, i find them so cute and i know they are smart, and they can be good pet... Anyone knows a bit about it? :o

I'm really curious about it!!!

This thread might sound funny, but I was thinking about this this morning, maybe i dreamed about it, I don't know hehe!!

Maxine

wdawson
January 21st, 2007, 04:45 PM
about 13yrs ago we had a pot belly.....they are very smart ,had mine litter trained and he was very loving.....he loved to chase my daughter around the yard .......the only downside is they are very smelly and they love to chew....if i can find one of those old paper photo's i will scan and post....no digital back then.

Maxine
January 21st, 2007, 04:57 PM
cool, thanks for the answer!!
I didnt think they were smelly!

Maxine

twisten
January 22nd, 2007, 01:34 PM
I bought a horse once from a woman who raised them. This was back when they were the "IN" thing. They had a shed all to themselves with a door that led to a fenced area. I don't know if the shed was heated because it was summer when we were there. Anyway the smell in there was horrendous sp??. I'm not sure on numbers in there but I think there were 4 adults and a few babies. That turned me off on ever wanting one of them for a pet.

Dogastrophe
January 22nd, 2007, 01:55 PM
Pigs in general are clean animals. Just don't mistake clean as being not smelly. They have a smell, some worse than others (kind of like dogs). As a pet, they can be wonderful. They lack the ability to jump onto (high) furniture, can be litter trained, and are very intelligent.

Golden Girls
January 22nd, 2007, 02:30 PM
I know someone who rescued a few pigs. They are apparently the sweetest, most affectionate animals out there, and very very sensitive

BMDLuver
January 22nd, 2007, 07:43 PM
Pigs do not smell. Male pigs will have an odour but if they are sterlised then voila, no odour. They are very clean and will use a small corner of a litter area to keep clean. They need a heat source in the winter and love to bury themselves under blankets and straw. They are extremely bright and if fed properly will only grow to be the size of a cocker spaniel. Pigs rut so they will dig up your garden and around roots of trees. They are awesome pets and very affectionate. When they learn to trust you, they will allow you to pick them up without a tiny screech. They love grapes as a treat as well as apples. They are also partial to porridge on a cold day. Canine14 has a pig from me named Charlotte. Here's a photo of her when she was a tiny stinker. In my books, pigs are probably the best pets anyone could ask for but they take special care. Hooves need trimming. Tusks too depending on which type of pig you have. They are not recommended around dogs unless you have a dog with no prey drive. Charlotte came to us at 4 weeks as a result of a pack of dogs attacking her. She had puncture wounds on her neck and back. She was lucky to survive.

Maya
January 22nd, 2007, 10:20 PM
Omgoodness she's adorable!! I think I see one of the wounds there healing up in the picture, poor little piglet. I can't get over how pretty she is, very snuggly looking.:o

susieqt
January 22nd, 2007, 11:10 PM
How old is Charlotte now? Is she very big? My sister and I got a call once that a pig was running loose near our shop. We went out and tried to catch her, and it took us over an hour to get her. She was about Charlotte's size and when we put her into the car, she fell right to sleep in the backseat as she was so exhausted from running away from a pig farm near by.
She now lives at a sanctuary for farm animals and retired lab chimps near our house and she is apparently very large (around 500 pounds, I think).

The day we caught that little piglet was the day I stopped eating meat.

Oh, and by the way, her name is also Charolotte!

Prin
January 22nd, 2007, 11:46 PM
VERY cute, BMD! I had no idea! Charlotte is a lucky girl! :lovestruck:

BMDLuver
January 23rd, 2007, 05:56 AM
Yes, that's one of the puncture wounds almost healed. She was about 8 weeks in that photo. Pigs can get as big as you allow them to get while growing. They don't have the ability to know when they are full. Plus people make the error of feeding them commercial feeds which in turn makes them grow larger. Charlotte was on a diet of first pablum and applesauce when she arrived, then moved on to rice, mixed vegetables, egg and fruits. She had when adult about 1 cup twice a day. If Canine14 sees this, then maybe she'll be able to let you know where she's at now, but she should only be around 35lbs.. She's the third pig that I've raised from a little tiny one and probably the favorite of my kids as they are very vocal, meaning they walk around low grunting and they also take the bridge of their nose and rut against a leg when you are walking which tickles.

canine14
January 23rd, 2007, 11:07 AM
Charlotte is doing wonderfully, thank you. No, Susieqt, she has not run away. We live in Ontario, anyway.

Charlotte weighs about 50 lbs. We bought/rescued a companion for her about a year named Noodle. They always got along well but we had Noodle spayed just in case because pigs can be territorial. They are inseparable; they eat out of each other's bowls and they sleep cuddled close together.

Pigs do NOT smell. Like all creatures, though, if you feed them a crappy diet, then they excrete toxins through the skin. Charlotte and Noodle are on a premium diet and they get about an apple a day between the two of them for snacks. They are NOT fat and it does the pig a disservice to be too heavy. We had the vet out about two months ago for a hoof trim for Charlotte and he remarked how these were some of the best-cared-for PBP's he had ever seen.

PBP's are wonderful pets but they are pigs too. They love, as BMD explained, to root around. In the fall, they park themselves under the apple tree. Charlotte loves to lay in the sun in the grass. Noodle is always close behind. Charlotte loves jaw scritches and plops on her side, playing "dead pig."

Charlotte is beloved by both my husband and I. In fact, my husband was in a very bad accident last July and is brain-injured. He remembers very few details about the year+ before the accident, but he certainly remembers his piggies and in fact asks about them every day when I call him at the hospital.

Lisa.

Maxine
January 23rd, 2007, 05:44 PM
Wow, thank you so much for your answers, guys!!!! I don't think i'll be able to own a pet pig soon, at least not before i move in a house lol, but it is very interesting to know and BMD, the picture is soooo cute :lovestruck:

Maxine

Prin
January 23rd, 2007, 09:28 PM
Canine14, I'm so sorry about your husband. :grouphug: Sounds like Charlotte is a great pet. :)