Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What a great site!!

Inisfad
January 21st, 2007, 02:03 PM
As some of you may know, I live in a really isolated part of north western Ireland. TV is very hard to get here, so there is an aerial way up on the top of the hill behind my house, which allows me to get all eight terrestrial stations that broadcast here. Anyway, 3 nights ago, we had a real freak lightning storm that only lasted about 2 minutes, but had 2 of the most enormous cracks of thunder and 2 HUGE fork lightning events that seemed to happen almost above my house. I live here alone with 8 cats and a dog (all of whom disappeared as this was happening, under tables, chairs and whatever they could find). Anyway, the upshot of the whole thing is that the lightning hit the transformer thingy on my aerial, and blew out the tv. So, for the last 4 nights, I've had no telly. I wondered what I was going to do - read, do the crossword, hmmm... Anyway, I went on the computer and logged on to pets.ca. I knew it was a great site, but never really knew how great. Look at all the stuff that's on it that I never noticed. Off topic forums, gardening, internet, computer games! (And, of course the pet forums. At one point, more than half of the headings for the topics had my name on it as the last comment.) I've uploaded an avatar (ok, it took me hours...), played mah jong, battered penguins, put my 2 cents in all over the place. Who needs tv when you can do all this? I haven't even tried to get someone here to fix the aerial yet, as I haven't missed the tv at all! :laughing:

Shamrock
January 21st, 2007, 03:06 PM
Yeah, something for everyone here.:thumbs up Only down side is it's addicting qualities...;)

Frenchy
January 21st, 2007, 03:12 PM
Glad to have you here Inisfad , altough I must ask , what Inisfad means ? :confused:

CyberKitten
January 21st, 2007, 04:58 PM
Slainte!! Glad you are here!!

Where are you in Ireland? No Rte??? (I guess none if there is no TV, lol) I hate to admiot it but when I am in Ireland, I don't watch that much TV tho I even listen to RTE here in Canada (online) - you could have watch it online too - as well as Cdn TV and radio. www.rte.ie Our cbc is www.cbc.ca BBC and CNN are also avail online.

Mostly I listen to RTE if I am up or working late - I have a friend who is a news reader there so I like to tease him the next day, lol

Is your TV fixed now? (and that picture of your animals running in every direction gave me a goos chuckle even tho I am sure the poor things were scared!)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 21st, 2007, 05:05 PM
That is cool that you are talking about this site - I thought you were gonna show us a different site - but agree this site is the coolest.

That is neat that you live in Ireland too - you must have a really nice accent. :)

Prin
January 21st, 2007, 06:51 PM
Yeah, once you bury yourself here, it's hard to crawl out.:D It's nice to have another regular around though. We always like those.:) Have you gone into the thread-jack thread yet?:evil:

Speaking of Irish tv, I still miss the rally car races that played all day Sunday. We don't get them over here and they were so fun to watch. :cloud9: Who needs formula one, where they're just going around in circles, when you can have regular people driving around in the woods totally out of control?! :highfive:

I thought you were gonna show us a different site :eek: :eek: :D

Frenchy
January 21st, 2007, 07:35 PM
I thought you were gonna show us a different site

What ? Is there other sites ? :confused:

Inisfad
January 22nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
Glad to have you here Inisfad , altough I must ask , what Inisfad means ? :confused: Hey, lookit, I've even learned how to do the quote thing. Anyway, for any of you who have been reading the Ghost thread, you'll like this (not for ghosts, but for things that happen that are meant to be, etc.) I grew up on Long Island, New York, and 10 years ago, decided to move to Ireland (it's a long story). Anyway, there were supposed to be all these obstacles about coming over here, finding a place, etc. But things happened so easily that it was almost frightening (as my Dad would've said, I was always 'waiting for the other shoe to drop'). Anyway, I found this lovely cottage, where I now live. The 'townland' where I live is called Inisfad. And )wait for it...) Inisfad is Irish for...Long Island! How's that? Regarding the tv here, you can get satellite (but as with all things currently Irish, it's expensive). And, because I'm in the Republic of Ireland, I am only supposed to get 4 stations (RTE 1 & 2, TV3 and TnG, which is only in the Irish language). But since we are so closed to the border, most of us have these big aerials in high places that can pick up the signal from Northern Ireland. And from there you can get BBC1 & 2, UTV and Channel 4. Needless to say, right now I get Zippo!

Mocha's mum
January 22nd, 2007, 08:07 PM
What's it like in Ireland? I want to travel everywhere, but I've only been to Italy. I was thinking that I should travel around Europe on my leave from Afghanistan (going next Feb). Maybe we could go for a pint??!!

Frenchy
January 22nd, 2007, 08:32 PM
So you moved to Ireland all by yourself ? :eek:

brandynva
January 22nd, 2007, 08:33 PM
My ancestors are from Ireland and it is my dream to travel there one day. I would love to live there, but don't think that will ever happen! I've heard it's beautiful country though. :cloud9:

I got sucked in here too and it's taken me MONTHS to figure everything out that this site offers! I just recently discovered the joy of the new posts button! It's wonderful! :D

Prin
January 22nd, 2007, 11:38 PM
Yeah, Marko even put a new posts button at the bottom so us lazies don't have to scroll up. :D

I lived in Ireland for about 6 months a while ago... I have mixed emotions about it.:o:footinmouth:

brandynva
January 23rd, 2007, 06:32 AM
:eek: I don't see a new posts at the bottom. :sad:

Hunter's_owner
January 23rd, 2007, 06:42 AM
:eek: I don't see a new posts at the bottom. :sad:

Right down at the bottom of the screen on the blue banner. It is over on the right side. (To the right of the Contact Us-Privacy Statement, etc.)

brandynva
January 23rd, 2007, 08:10 AM
adjusts glasses....gets out the magnifying glass... There it is! I see it, I see it! Thanks HO! :D

Inisfad
January 24th, 2007, 02:40 PM
What's it like in Ireland? I want to travel everywhere, but I've only been to Italy. I was thinking that I should travel around Europe on my leave from Afghanistan (going next Feb). Maybe we could go for a pint??!! Wow. What are you going to be doing in Afghanistan. That's pretty exotic, and hopefully not too dangerous. I think things are getting unsettled there again.
I had a bunch of answers for various things that were posted above. Can I do this quote thing for more than one answer? I've been trying, but I keep getting into a new thread....

Inisfad
January 24th, 2007, 02:50 PM
So you moved to Ireland all by yourself ? :eek:

I came to Ireland alone about 10 years ago. Basically, everyone that I cared about in New York (Dad, Nan, partner, etc.) had all passed away with 3 years of each other. I had been here as a teenager with my Nan, and loved it so much that I decided that if I ever could arrange it, I would move here. When she passed away in 1996, I brought her remains back here ( this is where she originally came from) and realized I had really nothing left in New York to hold me, and that if I wanted to pursue my dream of coming here, now was the time to do it. I had 16 pets at the time, and originally tried to take them all with me. But not only was it extravagantly expensive, there was a 6 month quarantine (as they don't have rabies here, and it was before the passport thing for pets that you can now do). Anyway, my pets were all strays, and rather scruffy, i.e. 3 legged dog and cat, etc. I could only find homes for 2 of the really nice looking ones (which is too bad as my 3 legged cat was the coolest thing of all). It kind of broke my heart to leave them, but they all had each other (they were kind of like a pack) and I was very lucky to find a sanctuary/farm in upstate New York that would take all of them, as long as I payed for their board. I know that maybe some of you will find that heartless for me to leave them, but on the other hand, some of them I only had for a couple of months, as I was like the local cat lady and people were forever bringing strays to me. Anyway, many of them have since been re-homed, so that the boarding thing ended a few years ago. And now I've got a new 'pack' 8 cats and 1 dog....

Inisfad
January 24th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Yeah, Marko even put a new posts button at the bottom so us lazies don't have to scroll up. :D

I lived in Ireland for about 6 months a while ago... I have mixed emotions about it.:o:footinmouth:

First, thanks about the heads of for the post buttons. I never noticed them til you said that.
Where in Ireland did you live? Is your mixed emotions solely about the foot and mouth thing that happened here a few years ago? Frankly, it could have been treated a lot better - a lot of it was fueled by greedy, dishonest farmers who were moving cattle illegally and then infecting whole herds because of their actions. And it was disgusting to see all these animals destroyed. Cattle are really quite lovely (although I like sheep better - smaller, easier to handle and you can't get quite as hurt with them). But cattle are very nosey, sociable creatures (of course, this being...sorry...beef country, all the males are castrated, and only live for about 2 years). I had great difficulty with that when I first moved here, realizing that all these lovely animals were being grown like a crop of vegetables, only to be slaughtered. I still can't quite get my head around it. And I'm vegetarian, as well.

trippincherri
January 24th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Glad your figuring the site out Inisfad!! Welcome to everyone's home away from home.

I joined last year and at first was a little overwhelmed by how well everyone knows each other and seemed like a big family. I thought for sure they wouldn't hardly pay attention to a newcomer.
But the sweeties opened their arms and now I am stuck here.....STUCK!
I check posts on here all the time, and try to keep regular pics up of my pets so I can bask in the compliments they get :D .

It is a great site and I am very glad the storm zapped your transformer!!!:p

Frenchy
January 24th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I came to Ireland alone about 10 years ago.

Wow ! I could never do that. So I guess you like it now. Does it feel like home ? Do you know lots of people ?

Prin
January 24th, 2007, 08:47 PM
First, thanks about the heads of for the post buttons. I never noticed them til you said that.
Where in Ireland did you live? Is your mixed emotions solely about the foot and mouth thing that happened here a few years ago? LOL No, but that's hilarious. I didn't realize what this guy :footinmouth: implied. hehe

My mixed emotions were well... ok, let's just say, Quebec is known for its "Joie de Vivre" and even on the worst weekend sometimes, there'll be traffic jams to get to cottage country and the lineups at every ski hill are atrocious. People in Quebec seem to complain about the weather when it has been the same for a week and then get over it and go "play outside" anyway. Like if it's minus a kajillion, we'll moan about it for a few days, and then our blood thickens or something and we stop noticing. And Quebecers don't have a lot of ocean around, but we huddle frantically around the closest body of water we can huddle at at every chance we get... Ok... So that's where I grew up.

And then I go to Cork, Ireland (well, I lived in the outskirts) and maybe it's because I don't drink and couldn't appreciate that aspect of Ireland or something, but I just found that people just didn't appreciate what they had like Quebecers do.:o It's just how I felt, so please don't take offense! Just one little idealistic girly's perspective... Anyway, it rains all the time, and people still seem to not expect it and don't cope with it very well. Like every day, it's "Ah no, it's bleddy raining again!" Well... yeah. :shrug: It's like if I woke up tomorrow and said, "Ah crap, it's cold again!" like I didn't expect it to be or something...

And to get to the ocean? On a map, the town I was in was ON the ocean. But I had to take a bus 45 minutes to Youghal to get to a beach. What's up with that? And when I finally got there, on a Saturday afternoon, I was the only one there! That was totally shocking. I got some great pics though.:D

And don't even get me started on the whole church aspect... My roommate was such a misfit and thought about suicide often because she had an older (10 yearsish older) divorced boyfriend and didn't go to church. I told her to move here because here, she'd be normal.:lol I could go on and on...:o

Anyway, Ireland has it's great parts too, but for me, after growing up here, I would just find it too depressing to live there.:o Sorry... Again, just one idealistic little girly's perspective...:o:footinmouth: