Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I think I am ready

megan_in_pink
January 21st, 2007, 07:36 AM
Well since I am headed out to the SPCA today, yesterday i went and got all the stuff I need.

I got.

A litter box (was hard to find one for a kitten, I did not want buy a new one once the cat grew too big for a small one so i got the Booda Dome clean Step)

A cat bed

A PINK cat cage

a PINK coller

claw clippers

Food and treat

some toys

and cat litter

and two reciving blankets.

I just need to go get some food dishes.

Any thing eles you can think of that I need?

Have great day everyone.

CyberKitten
January 21st, 2007, 09:01 AM
Wow, lots of pink. My girls like pink too. :) Tho given how cats see, I doubt they care - it's prob more for me, lol (But that's OK, they still enjoy the toys and other stuff). Many kittens may like to sleep with you - and my experience is leaving a kitten alone in a bed all by herself may not be the best if she i used to mama but if she i coming from a rescue, she may well like the bed. Hard to say - all cats are unique. My cats like the beds during the day - at night, they take over the bed.

Do you have a harness and leash so she can go outside with you? Mats for the food dishes. You will need two litter boxes - remember the norm is one litter box per cat plus one. I am assuming you have good quality food, not the grocery store junk. And your cat needs something to claw ON, like a scratching post. There are elaborate things on the market but your cat will thank you if you have the basics to start so you can show her/ him where to scratch).

I am sure I am forgetting something and others can add them. Good luck and congrats!!

Make sure your home is kitten proof or cat proof so your cat is safe and secure. no poisonous plants (ie lilies and many more are harmful to cats).

Frenchy
January 21st, 2007, 09:02 AM
I'm sure you will find a cat just for you , they are soo many at the spca waiting for someone to take them home ! Can't wait to hear about it ! :cat:

megan_in_pink
January 21st, 2007, 09:46 AM
Wow, lots of pink. My girls like pink too. :) Tho given how cats see, I doubt they care - it's prob more for me, lol (But that's OK, they still enjoy the toys and other stuff). Many kittens may like to sleep with you - and my experience is leaving a kitten alone in a bed all by herself may not be the best if she i used to mama but if she i coming from a rescue, she may well like the bed. Hard to say - all cats are unique. My cats like the beds during the day - at night, they take over the bed.

Do you have a harness and leash so she can go outside with you? Mats for the food dishes. You will need two litter boxes - remember the norm is one litter box per cat plus one. I am assuming you have good quality food, not the grocery store junk. And your cat needs something to claw ON, like a scratching post. There are elaborate things on the market but your cat will thank you if you have the basics to start so you can show her/ him where to scratch).

I am sure I am forgetting something and others can add them. Good luck and congrats!!

Make sure your home is kitten proof or cat proof so your cat is safe and secure. no poisonous plants (ie lilies and many more are harmful to cats).

right now it too cold for the cat to go out side and there is a nasty bull dog next door so she won't be going till the spring probly.

I got carbord straching pad thing that is slinted and some one ig making scraching post this week, I just need run out to the doller store to get dish and mat to go under it befour I go to the SPCA.

We not not plants like that only ugly fern that is out of cat's reach and all the mice traps are gone, since the mice have not been heared from in months :|

BMDLuver
January 21st, 2007, 09:51 AM
Good luck with finding your new kitten. Just a word of advice. Expect the kitten to fall sick within a few days of coming home. Most likely with Rhino. Please don't take the kitten back and say you do not want this one as it is sick. Instead, bring it back stating you would like the meds to treat the kitten. I know, sounds pessimistic but we rarely see healthy kittens after being exposed to the shelter. If the kitten gets sick, if the meds don't help, then force the SPCA to properly treat the kitten. Otherwise, the kittens fate is sealed. I just want you to be prepared for this possibility and to consider not giving up on the kitten if it does fall sick. Please note, am not blaming the shelter for this. The volume they receive makes it next to impossible to control the Rhino.

megan_in_pink
January 21st, 2007, 10:17 AM
We have been lucky we have gotten a few cats from the SPCA and none of gotten sick so far, we try to get the once that just came out foster care, and we have only gotten one cat with fleas. so we have been lucky.

Inisfad
January 21st, 2007, 10:54 AM
Wow, that's some list of stuff! A couple of comments - I don't know how old the kitten is that you'll be getting or what kind of vet care they give in your SPCA, but it is good to either have their (or your) vet check out the kitten. They very often need to be wormed (and get shots, etc). Also, I see you have claw clippers. Unless you're used to doing this, this probably should be done by someone who knows what they are doing, as it is very easy to seriously hurt your cat/kitten (by clipping too high up and severing the vein that is in the claw). I'm also not in great agreement with collars on cats - if she's going to be a house cat, she doesn't need one, and if you plan to walk her on a leash, it is far better to train her on a harness. Cats can often get caught on things with collars, and can hurt themselves or worse!
Good luck with your new friend, and be happy in the thought that you are doing a good deed for a kitty that is desperate need of a home!

megan_in_pink
January 21st, 2007, 11:56 AM
Wow, that's some list of stuff! A couple of comments - I don't know how old the kitten is that you'll be getting or what kind of vet care they give in your SPCA, but it is good to either have their (or your) vet check out the kitten. They very often need to be wormed (and get shots, etc). Also, I see you have claw clippers. Unless you're used to doing this, this probably should be done by someone who knows what they are doing, as it is very easy to seriously hurt your cat/kitten (by clipping too high up and severing the vein that is in the claw). I'm also not in great agreement with collars on cats - if she's going to be a house cat, she doesn't need one, and if you plan to walk her on a leash, it is far better to train her on a harness. Cats can often get caught on things with collars, and can hurt themselves or worse!
Good luck with your new friend, and be happy in the thought that you are doing a good deed for a kitty that is desperate need of a home!

The spca montreal dose frist shot and spaying nuttering and the de worming it need. I used to clip the last cat claws so I am use to but it not my fav thing in the world.

i would not have gotten a coller but the town we live states taht each cat has to be tag and linced even if they indoor cats.

Plus the SPCA we are going to dose microchip for you also.

CyberKitten
January 21st, 2007, 05:13 PM
I did wonder about it being winter but my folks live in Fla so one never knows, lol (and I did not look to see where you were, plus it never hurts to be prepared - gawd, my Girl Guide background is haunting me, lol

Inisfad, many jurisdictions in Canada and the US require cats wear collars and ID's- and mine do, even indoors. My Siamese does not mind having a harness on inside but I take it off wen we come in since it is rather uncomfortable to be on all the time. I am afraid for them not to have a collar - my biggest worry is to have them get out and become lost (with no ID, even tho they are microchipped). The prob with microchipping - and this irks me - is that like so many technologies, there are so many different kinds. And some places do not even bother to check so I wonder if they will be helpful. However - if they work just once, I figure it's still worth it.

~michelle~
January 21st, 2007, 05:30 PM
a collar and ID id a good idea because cats can sneak out unnoticed because some like to go and explore. you can buy quick release collars that come undone easily if they get caught on something.
good luck with getting the new baby. and make sure to keep us up to date with lots of photos (do you have a digital camera, because if not add that to your list!)

megan_in_pink
January 21st, 2007, 06:16 PM
We did not find one today, but one of women that foster cats for the SPCA is bring a litter saterday for opeing and she going make use I see them are they are female cailcos and she also know of tabby that is in their foster system right now, so saterday I will be back at the SPCA for when they open.

And I scrapbook so you will see alot of photos :D