Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sweet Potato Treats

rainbow
January 20th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Does anyone know how to make sweet potato treats?

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Sams-Yams-Sweet-Potato-Dog-Chewz/215000.aspx

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 11:18 PM
This one says to coat them in oil and bake them at 250 for 2 hours:
http://www.snoislefoods.coop/pages/recipe%20archive/sweet%20potato%20chips.html

But that makes chips... :o

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Oo or these!!

Serve these biscuits hot out of the oven for breakfast or as an addition to any meal.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
Dash salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 cups fresh sweet potatoes (yams), cooked and mashed or 2 (15 oz.) cans sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
4 tbsp. light margarine, melted
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg; stirring well. In another bowl, combine sweet potatoes, margarine, and vanilla; add to flour mixture stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Sprinkle flour on a work surface (waxed paper). Turn dough out on floured surface and knead about ten times. Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness; cut into rounds with 2 inch round cutter. Place rounds on baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Makes 2 dozen.

Only I'd take out the spices, salt, sugar and baking powder...
http://www.sweetpotato.org/recipes.php?action=by_category&category_id=3

rainbow
January 20th, 2007, 11:45 PM
I'd sooner find something that lasts longer....more like "rawhide".

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I think you need a dehydrator for that... :o Oven cooking looks like it requires too much fat or doesn't preserve things as well...:o

rainbow
January 28th, 2007, 02:21 PM
MumX3, you mentioned in another thread that you make these treats. How thin do you slice them and how long do you bake them and at what temperature? Do they last as long as rawhide?

rainbow
February 1st, 2007, 10:02 PM
MumX3 where are you??? :D

mummummum
February 2nd, 2007, 11:39 PM
I think we need a smilie for "not paying attention"...:rolleyes:

So... so much depends upon your oven. Yes, you can make chips and they're delish (just ask my dogs, cuz I ate the last batch of their treats!!). But if you want a chew for the dogs you may need to experiment a bit with your oven. Obviously a good dehyrdrator is the best but who has the $500 clams or so for a decent one ?

For slicing, I find a a mandolin best because it's consistent in slicing for thickness. Start off at 1/4 " (dpending upon your minimum oven temp you may move up to 1/2 ") . I find my pizza tray which has holes in the bottom is useful, but you can also successfully use other oven-safe grills (got a camp stove? a table-top barbeque?).

I set my oven at 150 and turn the potatoes after an an hour or an hour and a half (the density of the sweet potato = the amount of sugar it carries and how fast it cooks). Usually I turn my oven off at that point and they are pretty much done within the next hour.

Your oven will be different so you will have to check them and experiment a little with thickness and oven temp. When you test them for "doneness" you should be able to twist them and it should feel like thick leather. (:thumbs up ).

I'm pretty loosey-goosey about these things but, oil is neither necessary nor wanted. If your baking surface is not non-stick, use parchment paper to line. I hope that covers it !

rainbow
February 3rd, 2007, 06:35 PM
;) :D :laughing:

Thanks MumX3 :thumbs up

BTW, we went to Nelson today looking for a mandolin. The only place we could find them was in a specialty kitchen store and the cheapest one was $50. Do you know if that is what I should expect to pay?

mummummum
February 3rd, 2007, 06:50 PM
Quality is so variable. Mine was about $300. :eek: You are looking for rigid plastic or all stainless steel construction preferably with a rubber (anti-slip) bottom and locking or locked legs. More blades and abiltity to adjust for different cutting depths means more money. Cuisinart makes a decent one that's about $70 so $50 isn't unreasonable.

rainbow
February 3rd, 2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks again. :thumbs up

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 12:49 AM
What's a mandolin? I thought it was a musical instrument.:o :o

mummummum
February 4th, 2007, 01:16 AM
This is a mandolin :

And this is a mandolin:

Personally, I am fonder of the former over the latter for slicing and dicing :D

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Oooo coooool! I've never seen one of those before.:o Yes, mum, I believe you already know I'm foody challenged (i.e. from the "how to choose veggies" post :o). Thanks! :)

rainbow
February 4th, 2007, 10:25 PM
What's a mandolin? I thought it was a musical instrument.:o :o

Hee hee......I thought the same thing so, when we went to Nelson, I didn't even know what the heck I was looking for. :o

And, now that we know the prices :eek: I don't know if we will be buying one. I don't think I slice enought veggies to warrant the price. :o

< insert "pay attention smiley here >

MX3....do you use it for anything else? :D

OntarioGreys
February 7th, 2007, 05:28 PM
do a search for mandoline for lower price veggie slicers, if al you do is make sweet potato chews they will pay for themselves, I saw the sweet potato chews in the pet store yesterday and then the price :eek: I almost fell over, I decided to buy bully sticks instead as I knew for sure the dogs would eat them

I may try making my own instead I will try in the food dehydrator and in the oven to test on my gang on preference next week

rainbow
February 18th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks, OG, I'll see what I can find.

I did buy some yams yesterday so am going to try using a sharp knife for now. If that doesn't work I will look for a veggie slicer or mandolin when we go to Kelowna for Chases' operation. :)

mummummum
February 20th, 2007, 11:21 PM
< insert "pay attention smiley here >

MX3....do you use it for anything else? :D

Rainbow...ya'll need to use the <pay attention smilie> with the baseball bat :D !

I'm a vegetarian so...I eat alot of vegetables :laughing:
It's great for doing tomatoes for salads or salsa and taddies for french fries, julienning (mmm....not sure that's a word) peppers, carrots and the like for stir fries. It's a real time saver.

rainbow
February 21st, 2007, 06:13 PM
ATTENTION MX3 http://bestsmileys.com/hitting/2.gif

I forgot you were a vegetarian. :o And, a Canadian that knows the difference between a sweet potato and a yam. :D

So, when you make the doggies sweet potato treats do you use sweet potatoes or yams?

OntarioGreys
February 21st, 2007, 06:37 PM
Ah heck, Rainbow, I thought I was going to get news on how your treats turned out and learn whether the dogs enjoyed, I have 2 yams sitting in my fridge and have been waiting on your results and how you decided to prepare them, before I make my attempt

rainbow
February 21st, 2007, 07:18 PM
Sorry OG....I had great intentions and I really hope to get them done tomorrow. :o

rainbow
February 21st, 2007, 07:20 PM
ATTENTION MX3 http://bestsmileys.com/hitting/3.gif

Please read post #19 :D

rainbow
February 22nd, 2007, 04:43 PM
They're in the oven. :D

TeriM
February 22nd, 2007, 04:52 PM
Cool :cool: . I've been watching this and thinking it would be a great thing for my dogs. Let us know how they work :D .

rainbow
February 22nd, 2007, 05:46 PM
I just turned them over. They seem pretty soft so far though. :shrug:

TeriM
February 22nd, 2007, 08:45 PM
:D So how did they turn out?

rainbow
February 22nd, 2007, 09:51 PM
They turned out okay but they don't last long. :sad:

TeriM
February 22nd, 2007, 09:57 PM
Probably be easier to just mash up a sweet potato and use it to stuff a kong.

rainbow
February 23rd, 2007, 05:59 PM
I think you're right. :D I was expecting them to last as long as rawhide. :shrug: I wonder how long they lasted for MX3?

YooHoo, Mummummum....where are you ???

http://bestsmileys.com/silly/1.gif