Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bathroom before and after....

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Ok, ok, so it's not totally finished, but I guess it's finished enough to share? :o The walls aren't painted yet and we still have to get the glass for the tub (instead of a shower curtain) and install the sink.....

So here it is...

Before:
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/IMG_6051.jpg

During:
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/IMG_6059.jpg

And almost after :D:
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/IMG_6345.jpg

hazelrunpack
January 20th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Wow! Cool tub! And you even moved the toilet--I didn't realize you'd totally relocated it! Will there be a sink where the toilet used to be? That's quite a reno! :eek: :highfive:

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Yeah, the sink goes where the pipes are sticking out. :) We also got rid of the door for a pocket door to save space.:)

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Oh and the sink is the same one as before. We had already changed it...:o

hazelrunpack
January 20th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Oh and the sink is the same one as before. We had already changed it...:o

Oh, good! I like that sink. I like the way the doors underneath fit around the bowl of the sink...

jiorji
January 20th, 2007, 10:40 PM
WOAH! almost had a heart attack. I thought the second picture was the "after" shot.

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 10:41 PM
I know, me too.:D It's funny. lol

Thanks Hazel. :) I like it too. It'll be better because it won't be directly in front of the bowl to hit your head on when you stand up. :D Oh, wait, our toilet is normal too now, so that wouldn't happen anyway. The old one was wayyy low to the ground for some reason.:confused:

hazelrunpack
January 20th, 2007, 10:42 PM
WOAH! almost had a heart attack. I thought the second picture was the "after" shot.

LOL Ya! They do good work don't they? :D he he he

Dracko
January 20th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Rocking!!!! I love home reno projects.

brandynva
January 20th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Wow Prin! That's beautiful! I love the tile on the floor. And I am having tub envy right now. I love to take a bath and your tub looks soooo dreamy. :cloud9: Your man and your bro did a good job! :thumbs up

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Thanks! :) We did the white checkery thing because the blue was too dark alone and all checker it was too loud... The blue tile isn't as grey as in the pic though, but no matter what I did, it always photographs that way.:shrug:

rainbow
January 20th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I WANT your tub !!! :yell:

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 10:51 PM
It wasn't too expensive, eh? Of course, we didn't opt for the whirlpooly stuff though... But it's a full length tub with a person out the side.. When you're alone in there, it's so awesome. :cloud9: So much room. But you have to be careful not to hit the faucet when you do laps. :D

Byrd
January 21st, 2007, 12:09 AM
Coooool! :thumbs up

Major tub envy here, I don't even have a bathtub! :sad:

Prin
January 21st, 2007, 12:12 AM
Aww...:grouphug: If it makes you feel any better, I haven't had a bath in about 3 years because all the tubs around me were too disgusting...:o

Byrd
January 21st, 2007, 12:14 AM
No, cause at least the availablility was there. I haven't had one in about two years (oh, wait, had one in Egypt). Haven't had one... ahem... alone in about three years.

Prin
January 21st, 2007, 12:23 AM
lol The availability wasn't there though.. They were too diseased.:D

technodoll
January 21st, 2007, 12:25 AM
But you have to be careful not to hit the faucet when you do laps.

he he hehehe! i picture prin with a snorkel and flippers on in her tub now :D :D can't believe what a huge change, woohoooo! you must be thrilled it's aaaaaaalmost done! :highfive:

Prin
January 21st, 2007, 12:36 AM
Yeah, I can't wait to have a shower... We have to get the glass first and install it... :rolleyes: It'll also be nice to have the heated towel rack installed.:D Warm towels! WOO!

dustybird
January 21st, 2007, 12:36 AM
OOOh I always love before and after reno pics. Great job :thumbs up and I too love the tub. Teehee...I use the same shampoo.

Prin
January 21st, 2007, 12:38 AM
lol They don't test on animals..;)

TeriM
January 21st, 2007, 12:52 AM
Very cool:thumbs up . I also love the tub and have envy issues :o .

Peepmouse
January 21st, 2007, 01:04 AM
I love the tub Prin!!:cloud9: :lovestruck:
Wish I had room in my bathroom for one like that!
The floor looks great as well...Your menfolk did a great job!:thumbs up

With a tub like that, it would be a pleasure to have a nice leisurely soak!:lovestruck:

Prin
January 21st, 2007, 01:18 AM
Yeah, the only problem with it is we have to budget the water... Either I get a bath or my man gets a bath or we run the dishwasher...:D

chico2
January 21st, 2007, 08:39 AM
Prin,that is a beautiful bathroom:thumbs up
Wish we could do something like that,but ours is too small:sad:
By the way,I absolutely HATE our glass showerdoors,a pain in the butt to keep clean:mad:
A big :thumbs up to your b/f and brother for a job well done:love:

Frenchy
January 21st, 2007, 08:53 AM
wow Prin ! Awsome bathroom :thumbs up Love the colours, the bath, the tiles, well , everything !

Hunter's_owner
January 21st, 2007, 10:36 AM
Wow Prin, I love it:thumbs up
The tub looks amazing. I also really like the checkered tiles, the way it is done.
It really looks great.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 21st, 2007, 10:40 AM
its looks awesome Prin - you guys did a great job.

...I take like one sometimes two baths almost everyday.
If I am in Montreal can I come take a bath at your place. :D

Stacer
January 21st, 2007, 10:49 AM
Holy Smokes that's awesome. The pocket door is such a good idea, doors limit what you can do in a room most of the time. Are the fixtures in the tub brushed steel? I love brushed steel.

Byrd
January 21st, 2007, 11:51 AM
By the way,I absolutely HATE our glass showerdoors,a pain in the butt to keep clean:mad:

Yeah, we had them in our old house. The trick is to wipe them dry after you have your shower so that soap scum doesn't form. Or, to get one of those new automatic shower cleaner thingies.

Prin
January 21st, 2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks everybody.:)

Chico, whatever the glass looks like on it's worst day is still 100x better than a moldy shower curtain...:o You just can't use any shower sprays on it (like Tilex) because they tend to mark the glass permanently... My dad tried the comet version of tilex and it ruined his shower and they actually paid to replace it.:)

Stacer, yeah, all "brushed nickel"... You pay a fortune more for it though. :shrug: But we had already bought the faucet for the sink in it, so we were stuck.:D

JECM, if you're ever in the neighborhood.... ;)

The tub is made for small bathrooms.. If you buy the skirt (which is the same price as the tub) then you're supposed to fit the toilet in the curve... It's a lot smaller than a corner tub.:shrug:

wdawson
January 21st, 2007, 12:21 PM
nice job on the bathroom....i like the shelf at the back of the tub....lots of room for razors and such:D

Prin
January 21st, 2007, 12:30 PM
lol more like my hundreds of shampoo bottles...:o I'm convinced that if people have one or two kinds of shampoo in their tub, they just don't know what they're doing.:D

Just kidding. But my hair is really fine, so I need to switch shampoos often... So that shelf is a precaution.:D

Inisfad
January 21st, 2007, 12:33 PM
Gee, even the 'before' bathroom is better than mine! If I knew you were doing this, I would have come over and gotten all your old fixtures! The new one is really scrummy! My only question - where were you standing on the 'during' picture? It looks like you were floating on the ceiling! Great work!

technodoll
January 21st, 2007, 12:34 PM
best way to clean glass shower doors is to buy a little handle-squeegee at the dollarstore and leave close by, and wipe the water off after each use. no chemicals, no cleaning products, takes 10 seconds. in a pinch, a spray-bottle filled with watered-down rubbing alcohol is all it takes ;)

http://www.acpbv.com/Plastic%20Squeegee.JPG

Prin
January 21st, 2007, 12:35 PM
lol I was just holding the camera up.:D

The old bathroom may have looked sort of ok, but it was really rotted. What fixtures do you mean? The bath ones? They were pretty broken...:o The toilet is still outside though.:D Just be careful... it tends to overflow.:D

Prin
January 21st, 2007, 12:36 PM
best way to clean glass shower doors is to buy a little handle-squeegee at the dollarstore and leave close by, and wipe the water off after each use. no chemicals, no cleaning products, takes 10 seconds. in a pinch, a spray-bottle filled with watered-down rubbing alcohol is all it takes ;)
Yeah, that's probably what we're gonna do. I don't want to be too anal about it though, you know?

trippincherri
January 21st, 2007, 01:08 PM
:p Woo Hoo awesome job!:thumbs up

We have spent 4 months out of this year remodeling our entire trailer and still have office/porch/and bathroom to go but we are waiting till spring to tackle the rest.
I was totally dreading the bathroom but now I see there is hope lol.
And as a professional bath taker myself :p I must say that is one luscious tub you got on your hands, make sure to enjoy it often.

Prin
January 21st, 2007, 01:23 PM
Yes'm, I will! :) Thanks. Good luck with your renos.:) :goodvibes:

joeysmama
January 21st, 2007, 02:24 PM
Oh it's gorgeous !! Don't you love something that's brand spanking new? I'm too easily grossed out to ever take a bath in an old tub.

It didn't take all that long did it? OR does it just seem faster to me because it's not my house ?? When you're waiting to bathe it must seem a lot longer !

Shamrock
January 21st, 2007, 04:11 PM
Looks great Prin!:highfive: Fantastic job you did.. and what a great feeling of satisfaction when it's all done.:thumbs up

chico2
January 21st, 2007, 04:56 PM
TD and Prin,I was just going to suggest a squegee(sp?)I have one,I just have to convince hubby to use it after every shower,I take looong hot baths myself,at least in the winter and I would love your tub:love:
We just finished removing wallpaper in my bedrooom,NEVER EVER will we use wallpaper again!!!!
But now I have to paint,ceiling and all, I love painting and home-renos period!!!

poodletalk
January 21st, 2007, 05:21 PM
Wow, what a big difference! Your Brother and Father are really talented when it comes to home renovations.

BusterBoo
January 21st, 2007, 05:37 PM
TD and Prin,I was just going to suggest a squegee(sp?)I have one,I just have to convince hubby to use it after every shower,I take looong hot baths myself,at least in the winter and I would love your tub:love:
We just finished removing wallpaper in my bedrooom,NEVER EVER will we use wallpaper again!!!!
But now I have to paint,ceiling and all, I love painting and home-renos period!!!

aw yes...and that is where the problem lays..hubby and daughter don't feel it is NECESSARY to squeegee the shower every time. :frustrated:

Nice job on the bathroom, we are in the process of doing ours too!

Prin
January 21st, 2007, 08:52 PM
Yeah, my dad did the inside stuff (plumbing, electricity) and my bro did the rest. It's really great to have them around and that they're willing to help. :)

Joeysmama, took about 2 weeks... We still aren't done though, but at least it's fairly finished...

Chico, me neither! lol I'll never use wallpaper. I hate it with a passion.:D

Harley's mom, do we get before and after pics?! :fingerscr :)

Frenchy
January 21st, 2007, 08:59 PM
I have a squegee too :o

Aimster
January 21st, 2007, 10:38 PM
Looks great!! I have the exact same shower curtain in my bathroom right now! Ha Ha

You can remodel my bathroom anytime!

Boubou
January 21st, 2007, 10:51 PM
Wow, what a transformation! And very inspirational - we've finally decided to take the challenge and renovate OUR bathroom. At first, it started with just changing the tiles to ceramic tiles, then we said, well, might as well change the grungy shower, and now, we want to change the vanity, the cupboards AND the toilet! A very small project is turning into a very expensive one! But I've been waiting almost 10 years to do it, so might as well go all out and do it properly!

Prin
January 22nd, 2007, 02:59 AM
Thanks! :)

Boubou, just be prepared to have to change everything- plumbing, electricity, gyproc... We even had to change a bunch of the studs on the outside wall because they were rotten. :rolleyes: Better to go all the way though and get rid of all the possible mold when you have the chance.

x.l.r.8
January 22nd, 2007, 03:59 AM
Nice job, but did no one pick up the visual clues on you hitting your head while getting off your old toilet:D try just standing up rather than swinging :laughing: and please refrain from putting anymore visuals in my head.:thumbs up
I really like the blue and white contrast.

AliSam
January 22nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
Do those automatic shower cleaner things actually work? I would be interested in one of those myself.

Absolutely fabulous renovation Prin. I am in bathroom envy.

chico2
January 22nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
I actually saw on CTV how these"automatic"showercleaners work and they got a big THUMBS DOWN,unless you have a showerstall that's 2'x2':D

Prin
January 22nd, 2007, 03:56 PM
Well, so we're screwed for the glass.. The glass I wanted with a hinge is $800 and just a plain fixed piece of glass is $250... :o It'll be a little hard to wash the tub with a giant piece of glass blocking it...:o

chico2
January 22nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
Prin,if I were you,I would get a cheap clear showercurtain,just for the function,pull it out of the way when not in use.
Your bath-tub is beautiful,why hide it behind glass,but you already know I HATE showerdoors,so I am a bit biased:D
I would take mine out in a heartbeat,but it's attached to the bathtub,so it would mean a new tub...oh well,come to think of it;)
First I have to finish the bedroom:pawprint:

Prin
January 22nd, 2007, 04:44 PM
But the glass would be clear, not frosty or anything, so it wouldn't hide the tub... :o :shrug:

chico2
January 22nd, 2007, 04:52 PM
I am sure it would look nice,your whole bathroom is nice,but it would cost about $1.000,right?
Just don't forget to buy a squegee(sp?):laughing:

Prin
January 22nd, 2007, 05:04 PM
lol Yeah.. It's expensive... Pretty, but expensive.:D

Dog Dancer
January 22nd, 2007, 05:07 PM
Prin what a great reno job. Love love love the tub! I love hot soaks in the winter but BF thinks I must be the only woman on the planet who soaks in the tub for half an hour. HELLO!!! I can't figure out who he lived with before... Why does he think they make such great tubs??? Congrats to you.

Right now we're building a garage/workshop out the back and the yard looks like Beirut - can't wait for that to be over (no bath in the shop though).

Prin
January 22nd, 2007, 05:09 PM
lol Good luck with the chaos.:) :goodvibes:

Only a half hour? :D I'm in there till I'm pruney and have to add more hot.:D

Skryker
January 22nd, 2007, 05:56 PM
It looks great, Prin! Too bad the glass is so expensive. :o I get el cheapo shower curtains from the dollar store, so I don't feel bad throwing them out in a couple of months, when they get gross. It's not that they get moldy; there's something in our water that turns them yellow-orange (maybe it's old pipes). :yuck:

Prin
January 22nd, 2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah, for us they turn a sort of red-orange... :rolleyes: Ikea has ok shower curtains (where I got the old one from), but I'd still rather the glass... :o I'm such a snob.:D

Skryker
January 22nd, 2007, 06:01 PM
I get it-you can sanitize the glass way better than plastic! :D I just remember the sliding glass doors with metal tracks, and what a pain to keep clean and dry they are. :frustrated:

Prin
January 22nd, 2007, 06:07 PM
Oh, yeah, those were pretty gross. This will just be one fixed pane, totally sealed all the way around.

When I was in Ireland, a lot of people had one pane, but on hinges to make it easier to get in and out... I don't know why they're so freaking expensive here. :shrug: Hey, maybe I should check ebay or something...

happycats
January 22nd, 2007, 07:09 PM
OMG I love it!!! Nice tub, is it an odd shape! Can we maybe get an overhead of it:o ? Getting some great idea's for my bathroom! (Have to do the kitchen first though)

Prin
January 22nd, 2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks!

I'm getting so frustrated though... I really want a swinging door and I'm looking on the net and they're like 150 pounds! With all the hinges and everything. It's so aggravating because I can't find ANY here! :yell:

See, like this: http://www.boundarybathrooms.co.uk/matki-bath-screen.html (the first and last on the first row).

How hard is it?!?!??! :yell: :yell:

The only hope I have is to get one on ebay from Germany for $250, but who knows what the shipping is. It's unbelievable that in Europe, where things are generally way more expensive, I can get what I want for less than 1/2 of what it is here. :yell:

wdawson
January 22nd, 2007, 07:55 PM
with a handy dad and bro.......go price the glass at a window\glass co. then try the hardware store for the hardware....then get dad and bro to install

Prin
January 22nd, 2007, 07:57 PM
Yeah, but you need a special guy to drill the holes in the glass supposedly, before they temper it. :shrug: It's the holes and hardware that make it so expensive here... I don't know why. :rolleyes:

wdawson
January 22nd, 2007, 08:12 PM
Yeah, but you need a special guy to drill the holes

:D ....and a glass co can't do that? any cheaper than buying from a retail store that inflates prices.

Prin
January 22nd, 2007, 08:15 PM
We only tried a glass place so far. $800... :o They're the whiners...:D In Europe, they're all premade in standard sizes... I don't know why we don't have that here. :shrug:

x.l.r.8
January 22nd, 2007, 08:41 PM
So get one from europe, all you need to do is a 2 x2 frqame in timber and some sheet wood on the back and front and insure it. have a looks at places like Wicks and Howdens (they are both suppliers in the UK) if they have anything I can pick it up and just post it. ( I did mention I'm from the UK didn't I?) i still have family and friends that will do stuff like that for me.

chico2
January 23rd, 2007, 08:33 AM
Prin,so you are not planning on enclosing the whole bath-tub???
A half-screen like the first pic,looks pretty good,not too much to clean!
Cannot understand why it's sooo expensive though:confused:

x.l.r.8
January 23rd, 2007, 09:42 AM
wrong name www.wickes.co.uk should get you there

Prin
January 23rd, 2007, 09:07 PM
No, chico, we just wanted to close off the shower part... We finally found some premade ones here...

This is what we want:
http://www.fleurco.com/view_prod.php?id=39

But this is probably what we'll get, because the one above is too big and wayyyyy too expensive...
http://www.fleurco.com/view_prod.php?id=53

If we can get the first one cheaper and with panels of 18" for the fixed one and 12" for the moving one, then maybe.. Still shopping. :D

chico2
January 24th, 2007, 08:07 AM
That looks great Prin,I have an old-fashion one,with a mirror in the center(grrr!)and 2 glasspanels and I HATE it...
This small one will be a breeze to keep clean:thumbs up

Stacer
January 24th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Wouldn't water get out onto the floor with just that panel of glass only spanning half the tub?

Prin
January 24th, 2007, 10:32 PM
No the tub has pretty high walls and the overflow prevents the water from flowing over if you ever overfill it.

:D

Seriously, we measured where we'd be standing and 30 inches pretty well covers you. You have to be a little careful, but even then, because the tub goes wider at the back, it's not likely to get out.:shrug: It works in Europe! :D