Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

In Hope, An Animal Shelter Story -GRAPHIC IMAGES

Ginnys
January 20th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I thought very hard about posting this message, but this video needs to be seen and the word spread!

This video is very distrubing - yet so powerful.

One individual stated it best after watching the video - Shelters need more help then people realize, so don't watch the video and wipe the tears for nothing, contact your local shelter and ask what you can do to help.

http://www.ventura.org/animreg/

I can't get a direct hotlink, so when you get to the web page click on 'Shelter Stat' located on the left of the screen. On the new screen, scroll down to the bottom and you will see the video buttons to click.

CyberKitten
January 20th, 2007, 07:42 PM
It's on Youtube as well. I guess since we have seen so many disturbing videos here and I assume ppl here do look at videos there, I would leave it to them to decide. Tho they can still opt to click that link too. It's very sad and yes, difficult to watch. It's a good explanation as to why shelter workers burn out so quickly or need to take time off and then return and so forth. There is an even worse video on Youtube that ended up on my screen (I must've clicked the wrong link) and it showed them actually killing puppies and dogs with poison - altogether - I cried, it was so sick!! We think we are progressing and we have in some places but to think there are places that still kill (that was certainly NOT euthanization) animals!

wdawson
January 20th, 2007, 08:27 PM
all i got was a link to the pets of the week....a dog and cat....although that might be a good thing;)

Ginnys
January 20th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Yes, there are are some disturbing pics - but the reason that prompted me to post it was the video's comment section, and the reactions of individuals who viewed the video - all sad but positive. In the comment section there are posts from Poland, UK and US that say thank you for showing the reality of the situation, and in some countries the situation is even worse. I didn't post it for shock value (there are no pics of pets being destroyed) - just reality of what unresponsible pet owners have caused. Personally I'm horrified that animals have to be 'put down', but the reality is pet shelters only have so much room and so much money to shelter the 'un-wanted' pets and pets are destroyed.

Again - personally - I think the message is if you make the decision to get a pet - then you have made a decision to nuture and protect that pet for its life - you don't abandon that responibility to someone else. They become a member of your family - would you walk away from that family member because they got to big - sick - old - aggressive - ???

I have seen posts on this site for 'What kind of pet do I get'? We (as a group) need to direct these people to their local shelters first and not puppy mills and pet stores. Yes, I realize that there are very reputable breeders out there, and there are folks that are in performance/show quality breeds - but folks that are looking for companions should look to the rescue and shelter sites first - be it cats, dogs, horses, etc.

Heck - I was one of those folks. I would only buy pure breds, and never look at the shelters - but I've changed. I have a friend that rescues feral cats that read me the riot act - for companion dogs look to the shelters (the un-wanted) and I would find pets with less medical problems due to in-breeding and pets that would have that sparkle in their eye of - thank you for saving me. I now have 4 furry kids - 3 of which are rescues. The last addition I made was on the 'dead man's walk' at a local shelter due to kennel cough. I'm attaching her pic - Melina (9 mos at adoption) and Petey (who was 5 mos at adoption and was also on 'dead man's walk) - both rescues.

We have got to educate the 'new' pet lovers (on this site) to the potential errors of 'their' ways, and find homes for all the discarded 'pets' in our shelters across the globe.

I'm horrified at the number of animals destroyed each year, but if we stick our heads in the sand we are part of the problem.

Adopt and support your local shelters/rescue leagues and we have to educate the 'new' pet owners!

Melina

Petey

My 3rd is Jones pictured in the Avitar - he was 3 years old when I adopted him and terribly abused/starved.

twisten
January 21st, 2007, 02:41 PM
Its a very powerful, heartbreaking video. Hopefully it will reach the hearts of some people. We have a rescue right up the road from us, maybe a 1/4 of a mile from us. They rescue everything from horses to birds and reptiles. I'm going to stop in there to see what I could maybe help with.:pawprint: