Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Maurice the feral is in bad shape

vfrohloff
January 20th, 2007, 07:49 AM
I'm not quite sure what to do right now. I hadn't seen Maurice for about 2 weeks and then he showed up yesterday on my doorstep. I know he's been staying at a farm up the road because I've seen him hanging around their barn when I go out for walks. Anyway, I fed him but noticed that he was quite affectionate which is slightly out of character. I started to examine him as best I could because he wouldn't hold still and I noticed a huge gash on his cheek. It's the worst I've ever seen on a cat. Then I saw a few other superficial wounds and I've come to the conclusion that he must have been attacked by something. So, I cleaned the wound on his cheek (it's a puncture wound) and put a glob of Polysporin ointment on it. It's draining (blood and a bit of pus), but it clearly needs to be seen by a vet. I went and got the cat cage and a towel and threw the towel over him and tried to stuff him into the cage. Normally this would be no problem for me, but being very pregnant I lost my balance and Maurice got away. :mad: I should have known better and waited for DH to come home and help me, but Maurice is terrified of DH so I'm not sure it would have worked anyway. So, since yesterday Maurice has been hiding under the house and I can't get him to come out. He's eating well which is a good sign but I have to put the food under the porch because he won't come out to eat it. Any suggestions as to how I can get him? I called the only place near us that rents humane traps and they're all rented out for the weekend. I feel badly for poor Maurice and I don't know what to do.:sad:

chico2
January 20th, 2007, 07:53 AM
I really have no suggestions,other than good strong smelling food and a humane trap,but wanted to thank you for caring and hopefully you'll get him to a vet soon,I can just imagine how you feel:sad:
If we could only get them to understand we want them to feel better:sad:
:fingerscr for Maurice and you:fingerscr

vfrohloff
January 20th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Thanks chico. I just get so worked up about these things, I hate to see them suffer. I woke up this morning worried that he wouldn't make it through the night. I'll try to get a humane trap on Monday, and in the meantime I'll just make sure he's well fed. I'm glad he's hungry, I'd be freaking out right now if he wasn't eating. I've been warming up his food and putting water in it so he stays hydrated. I also have a pile of old towels that I heat up in the dryer and then put under the porch for him to lie on, he seems to like that. He's got a good shelter under there so hopefully he'll be ok.

cpietra16
January 20th, 2007, 08:23 AM
where are you in Montreal....will he come to another woman? I can try and help

Inisfad
January 20th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Just wondering if maybe you had some feline antibiotic in your house where you could mash up a dosage and put into his food, which might allay the infection until you're able to get one of the traps. I know how helpless and frustrated you feel, but at least the maybe the antibiotic would be helpful. My vet was giving my cat amoxycillin at a dose of 25 mg per 5 lbs bodyweight. Frankly, if you're really worried about the infection until you can get him caught, I don't think people amoxycillin at the same dosage rate would be harmful. It's just possible that you may not be able to catch him, and will have to medicate him yourself. At least the gash is on his cheek, so no vital organs or anything is affected. Living here in a rural area, there are times I just have to be my own vet, so this would be what I would do. Hope it helps.

vfrohloff
January 20th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Thanks for your offer to help cpietra, I live about 35 mins from you which is kind of far, and Maurice is now caught and at the vet. He came out from under the porch after I fed him this morning, I guess he decided that I hadn't given him enough to eat so he was protesting. I put a spoonful of food in the back of the cage and he walked right into it. :thumbs up I guess me throwing a towel over him yesterday was what freaked him out, not the cat carrier.

The vet is going to keep him until tomorrow. She had to sedate him to clean his cheek so while she was at it she neutered him and gave him his shots. While he was sedated she checked in his mouth and found an abscessed tooth, she said it could be the cause of the cheek abscess as well and she pulled the tooth. She said he's not a young cat which is surprising because he looks young. Anyway, she said at least now I'll have a fixed up stray that I won't have to worry about with regards to procreating and spreading disease. Not sure how much this will cost, I set a fairly low limit when I went in this morning so hopefully it won't be more than that. I pick him up at 10am tomorrow so I'll give another update then. :cat:

cpietra16
January 20th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Please feel free to PM for help, 35 minutes is not that far. I used to travel
2 1/5 to buy a loaf of bread...I could definately travel 35 minutes for a kitty.
I'm glad he's a the vets and is being cared for. You are an:angel:

Inisfad
January 20th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Glad all turned out well!

chico2
January 20th, 2007, 04:03 PM
That is great news:thumbs up maybe now he'll become a real homebody and want to move in:lovestruck:
Pullimg a tooth,neutering and taking care of his wound,probably will cost a bit,hopefully your vet will take in to account he is a stray and you are doing this because you care:fingerscr :cat:

badger
January 20th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Ow, that tooth would have caused him no end of problems. Glad you caught him and he's on the mend. Another one saved.

Frenchy
January 20th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Thank you so much for taking care of this cat :angel:

CyberKitten
January 20th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I wanted to add to what the others said - Bravo for caring for Maurice. You are indeed his :angel: Hope all goes well but sounds like he is on the mend already and I do hope the vet realizes you are doing it as a kindness.

kashtin's kin
January 20th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Having been sort of 'thrust' into a feral-serving etc. lifestyle myself, I know it can be a real challenge :eek: . Handling the cats, handling the vet bills...ai caramba! Good on you for taking such great care of Maurice (esp. while you're pregnant, and not as nimble as usual!). You certainly have all our [BB] :grouphug: respect and gratitude :angel: . Maurice is one lucky cat, and I'm sure he'll thank you in his feline :cat: way.

rainbow
January 20th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I second that....you are definitely an angel :angel: for all you've done for Maurice. :grouphug:

TeriM
January 21st, 2007, 12:09 AM
Glad to hear Maurice is getting all that treatment :) . Bravo to you for caring so much :thumbs up .

vfrohloff
January 21st, 2007, 06:51 AM
Thanks everybody! I told the vet when I went in that I had a price limit and she went ahead and did all this work on her own. She always calls me when things are going to be more expensive than anticipated so I'm guessing she's doing this within my budget (I said I didn't want to spend $200). I also signed euthanasia papers when I went in, just in case he was really bad, and she obviously thought it was worth it to fix him up. I'm really glad I was able to catch him because I fret over these things, and seeing as how I'll be in the hospital for a few days soon and unable to keep an eye on him I feel much better knowing that he's not going to die of infection. It's worth the money just for the peace of mind.

Please feel free to PM for help, 35 minutes is not that far. I used to travel 2 1/5 to buy a loaf of bread...I could definately travel 35 minutes for a kitty
Thank you cpietra, I'll be sure to holler if ever I need help! Ditto if you ever need a hand. I'm out near Hudson so it's not too far. Where did you go for that bread? Must be good bread....

That is great news maybe now he'll become a real homebody and want to move in
Don't encourage me chico! :p No, he'll have to stay an outdoor kitty for now, even I have limits. He's got a nice shelter under the porch so he won't freeze, and he'll be well fed. Ted is still adjusting to being a house cat and is learning where he fits in. I don't want to upset that by adding another cat to the mix right now, and I just won't have the time to properly socialize a new cat. Maybe next year before winter comes, if I can convince DH. I think we may have to wait for some of our other pets to leave us though, I find 6 cats to be just too many. Anyone want a cat? He's really cute and very friendly and comes neutered and with all his shots and is dewormed! Like my sales pitch?:D

chico2
January 21st, 2007, 06:59 AM
I was only half-heartedly kidding,I know you have your hands full,with six cats and a wee baby coming soon:love: heck,with only 3 cats and a retired hubby,I have my hands full:D
I am sure Maurice will be fine,no more pain,a sheltered spot and food:love:
How close are you to baby-day???

vfrohloff
January 21st, 2007, 07:07 AM
:D It's ok chico, I was only half-heartedly kidding when I said he won't be coming in the house. He'll be an indoor cat eventually. My official due date is February 4th so only 2 more weeks to go! :stork-baby:

cpietra16
January 21st, 2007, 08:45 AM
Thank you cpietra, I'll be sure to holler if ever I need help! Ditto if you ever need a hand. I'm out near Hudson so it's not too far. Where did you go for that bread? Must be good bread....

?:D

The bread wasn't anything to write about, but the nearest store was 2.5 hours away:p

vfrohloff
January 22nd, 2007, 06:09 AM
Well, Maurice is back home and the total bill was $122. The vet really gave me a great deal, and took some money out of her stray cat fund to keep the bill low. He had to have 3 teeth extracted, his 2 big top molars and one of his bottom canines. It was one of the top molars that caused the abscess out the side of his cheek, she said this has probably been going on for quite a while inside his mouth, poor guy. He'll be on antibiotics once a day for 2 weeks so I'm just hoping he sticks around. The vet also neutered him, gave him rabies shots, dewormed him, and gave him something else (I can't remember what) to help with his rhino so he'll be less congested. He ate well yesterday so hopefully he's on the mend, he'll only be getting canned food for a while though until his mouth heals. She estimated his age to be about 4 or 5 years old.

Hunter's_owner
January 22nd, 2007, 06:18 AM
Wow, thats great news about Maurice. Thank you so much for helping out another animal. You are an angel:angel:

Mahealani770
January 22nd, 2007, 12:33 PM
Awe V, that's great to hear. Maurice is in great hands. What a kind soul you are. You inspire me. Anyway, I'm getting excited for baby Jake to arrive! I want pictures!!! :D

vfrohloff
January 23rd, 2007, 07:35 AM
Well, Maurice took off. He was hiding under the back porch but now he's gone. I went out for a few hours yesterday and DH let Ted out so I think Ted probably scared him off. My fault, I should have told DH not to let Ted out (although you'd think a little common sense would have been in order but anyway...). I put food out last night and it's still there so he hasn't been back. I'm going to pick up some canned tuna and salmon and see if that will entice him to come back, otherwise I'll have to go searching in my neighbors' barns. I'm not even sure which barn he hangs out in, just that he sometimes smells like cow poop and I've seen him coming to my house from 2 different directions so I think he may be a barn-hopper. Anyway, he needs to have his antibiotics. Arrrgh, I'll be pretty upset if I spent that money to fix him up and then he dies of infection anyway. With my luck the only thing I'll get from putting out canned fish is more ferals at my door. :shrug:

Hunter's_owner
January 23rd, 2007, 07:57 AM
Oh gee, that's too bad. Hopefully he will be back today, and no other ferals will take residence:fingerscr

About the hubby's common sense, sometimes they have a lapse ;) (well my man does anyways:rolleyes: )

Inisfad
January 23rd, 2007, 01:07 PM
Gee, I hope he comes back, as you are doing such wonderful things for him. He sounds like a survivor, so he probably isn't too far away. It may take a day or two for him to forgive you for the scary trip to the vet!

chico2
January 23rd, 2007, 03:47 PM
I am sorry to hear that,but I am sure he's not far away,he knows where the food is:cat:
Please do not go searching for him and fall in the snow,baby is coming soon and Maurice will too,I am sure:fingerscr

vfrohloff
January 24th, 2007, 07:17 AM
I put out some canned salmon late yesterday afternoon and he showed up about 2 hours later. :thumbs up So he only missed one day of antibiotics which isn't so bad. He looks good, his neuter incision is healing well and his abscessed cheek looks much better. He was also very hungry which is a great sign. He still smells like cow poop though :yuck: I'm wondering if he sleeps in a manure pile at night? It would be a good warm place to go, if you could stand the smell :p

chico2
January 24th, 2007, 07:21 AM
V,that's good to hear,I knew he knows a good thing:fingerscr
As for manure-smell,I kind of like it,it's soooo country:D
Since you are able to get him to a vet and handle him,he is not very feral anymore,right??

vfrohloff
January 24th, 2007, 07:45 AM
V,that's good to hear,I knew he knows a good thing:fingerscr
As for manure-smell,I kind of like it,it's soooo country:D
Since you are able to get him to a vet and handle him,he is not very feral anymore,right??

Yeah, the manure smell is kind of country like, I just prefer it in the air and not in my lap :D
Maurice never was very feral, he was shy but certainly not wild like Ted was. I suspect he's either a barn cat that nobody bothers to take care of, or he was dumped a while back and has adapted to outdoor living. I don't think anyone else is feeding him though because he's quite thin, and doesn't seem to mind travelling to my house for food.
On another note, there is a white cat that I've seen hanging around for a while. He/she doesn't come to my house but I see this cat fishing around in the ditches for frogs and other such yummies. It's often running across one of the snow covered fields beside our house and I wondered how long it would take before this cat clued in to the fact that there's food here. Well, this morning I saw this cat coming out of my neighbors house so that's one less feline I have to worry about. :cat:

SARAH
January 24th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Sounds like a nice neighborhood! Wish it was June already, I'd take a look at Maurice and maybe get him as a companion for Misti ... if he can get along with the dogs!:cat: :dog: :cat:

vfrohloff
January 25th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Wish it was June already, I'd take a look at Maurice and maybe get him as a companion for Misti ... if he can get along with the dogs!:cat: :dog: :cat:

What happens in June? Are you serious about possibly looking at Maurice? If so, I have 2 dogs and I could get him used to being around them. He's a really sweet little guy...

SARAH
January 25th, 2007, 07:41 AM
June. Finalizing purchase of own house on the 1st. Moving on the 4th and 5th. Room for new kitty!
:D

badger
January 25th, 2007, 08:35 AM
I smell another fairytale ending...

SARAH
January 25th, 2007, 09:59 AM
If Maurice is still around in June, who knows? Do you have a pic? I picture him orange, like "Maurice the finnicky cat" from the old commercials :)

vfrohloff
January 26th, 2007, 06:48 AM
I'll try and get a picture of him today. So far he seems a bit camera shy :) He's white and dark caramel colored tabby with green eyes. He'd be quite good looking if I could get him to take a shower :laughing: I feel really badly for him though, it's been very cold outside. I fed him 3 times yesterday and gave him some warm catmilk before bed so hopefully he'll be ok. I know he's using the shelter under the house which should be warm enough, I just feel bad for any living thing having to be outside in these conditions. Doesn't look like it's going to get much warmer anytime soon either. :shrug:

chico2
January 26th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Awww V,you are doing what you can at the moment,more than what other people would:love:
I can handle the winter and the cold,but am always thinking of the poor kitties who have no warm place to go:sad:
Maurice has food and a sheltered area,the food will help him feeling not quiet so cold,but of course,a warm house would be the best.
Looking forward to pics:cat:

SARAH
January 26th, 2007, 08:23 AM
He sounds so sweet poor pussycat :sad: :cat: have you put hay under the house for him to crawl into? I know that really warms up nicely for an animal. WISH we could take him already, but there just isn't ROOM for one more living thing in this tiny townhouse (large enough for 2 people and one dog, lol)

I'll be looking out for the pics.

PS, if you DO get hold of him for a bath, try covering his head in a wash-cloth so he can't see ... I know, it will probably spook him, but I read somewhere years ago that a cat that can't see is calmer when bathed. :shrug: true or not? I never tried.

vfrohloff
January 27th, 2007, 08:03 AM
I won't be giving Maurice a bath anytime soon, I'm 9 months pregnant and can't risk a cat bite right now. Besides, I can't really bring him in the house, even for a few hours. I haven't ever tried the washcloth over the head thing but I would think it might make them freak out even more. It probably depends on the cat. I wasn't able to get any pictures of him yesterday. It was so cold that I fed him under the porch so he didn't have to come out. I have a shelter for him under there. I originally built it for Ted but Ted's in the house now so Maurice uses it. It's made of styrofoam lined with mylar and stuffed with straw so it should be pretty warm. It's under the back porch and I've surrounded the porch with bales of straw to cut the wind so it should be doubly warm under there. He seems to be faring quite well in spite of the cold. I've been feeding him 3 times a day to try and fatten him up a bit and I've been giving him Whiskas Catmilk twice a day to keep him hydrated. It's probably not the greatest stuff but the water I put out for him freezes in about 10 minutes and he needs more liquid intake because of the antibiotics he's on. I tried adding water to his food but I find it makes the food freeze before he has time to finish it. He's a bit of a slow eater these days, probably because his mouth hurts. Anyway, he seems to be doing ok.

chico2
January 27th, 2007, 03:15 PM
V,You are doing wonders and I am sure Maurice is very thankful:cat:
I bought a bird-bath heater a few years back to keep the birdbath from freezing and I think all the birds in Oakville come to my house for a drink.
It would be nice if they made tiny ones,that would keep Maurices water from freezing:)

kashtin's kin
January 28th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Great to hear how much better you're making Maurice's life :thumbs up ...even with those inevitable 'speedbumps' along the way. Good ol' feral WW (mother of the terrible trio who delight in using the entire house as their Feline :crazy: Daytona Speedway) really enjoys diluted/warmed evaporated milk in the winter. We've had a few strays literally pass through over the years, and when I've actually managed to catch a glimpse of one chowing down, they ALWAYS go for the milk first. ..."Hi" to Ted and Maurice :cat: from WW and kids, and remember to take care of yourself, too!

vfrohloff
January 28th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the encouragement you guys! He seems to be doing just fine in spite of the cold. The vet called yesterday to see how he's doing. I'm a bit concerned because his face still bleeds a bit, but she said as long as there's no pus or swelling it should heal up soon. She had put a few stitches in it because it was quite a big abscess (about an inch long) so she said it's normal that it would bleed a little from time to time while it's healing, especially if he scratches at it. If it's not looking good by next week I can take him back in, but I think it'll be ok. :shrug:

A bird bath heater is a great idea! I could buy a big enough bowl to put a heater in. Might be cheaper just to get a heated water dish, I'll have to check out some prices, maybe on Ebay. For now I just change his water 4 times a day and that seems to work out, plus with the Catmilk and canned food I'm sure he's getting enough to drink. I find if I put his water dish in the direct sunlight it doesn't freeze as fast. Maybe if he's still around next year though...