Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Life

Stewart
January 20th, 2007, 03:47 AM
Sad day for me yesterday, I was on my way out to my car and my nieghbours wife came running out to say thier dog Millie a 10yr old female beagle was collapsed. I went into thier house to find poor Millie slumped half in and half out of her basket. I said "ring your vet" and while she did so I checked as best I could for vital signs. She had already rung her her husband who was on his way home. Millie was really his dog and it was it was his birthday to boot. I could not find any signs of breath or a pulse. the husband arrived home within 10 mins and they rushed her to the vets about 10 mins drive from us but poor Millie was gone. They suspect a heart attack or similar was the cause of death. This episode brought home to me a few things. Having been trained in first aid just how can you apply it to animals? Also just how much I am going to miss my pooch Gypsey when her time comes. life has a knack of hurting at the wrong time such as looseing your friend on your birthday.

mummummum
January 20th, 2007, 07:02 AM
:sorry: ~ how sad. When my last grrrrl died, it was as if my world collapsed ~ condolences to your friends.

There are many practical books on first-aid (which include CPR) for dogs and many of the larger centres offer courses. The courses in my area are advertised in dog-centred newsletters/ magazines. You may also want to check with your local SPCA for information.

And only 10 years old ...:candle:

chico2
January 20th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Stewart,how sad for the owners and for you:sad:
Your neighbor is fortunate to have had you to help her out,even though the poor pup died:love:
Beautiful Gypsey is not old,is she??
I remember when you first came on the Forum and showed her to us.
An incident like this though,brings it all home to us,we are not going to keep our loved animals forever,which makes every loving day important.
:rip: little Millie:candle:

cpietra16
January 20th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Rest in Peace Millie:rip:

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I'm so sorry you had to go through that. :grouphug:

For doggy CPR, you have to go from the side. You lie the dog on its right side and do the compressions on the left side of the rib cage, at the level of the elbow. The breathing is through the nose (mouth-to-nose) but you have to make absolutely certain that there's no blockages first.

I have a book that describes it really well, so I used that to find stuff on the net... This site seems to outline it fairly well:
http://members.aol.com/henryhbk/acpr.html

Inisfad
January 20th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Regrettably, this is the fate for each of us and our pets. But think of it another way. Millie went quickly in the comfort of her own home and basket, surrounded by people who cared for her. She was not in pain, sick for a long time, suffering through operations, having vets poke and probe her, nor frightened in a hospital atmosphere, etc. I suppose this is not the place for our views on life after death, etc., but I fervently believe in it (and not in a religious sense, either), and also believe that, in the true sense of the word, grief is a 'selfish' feeling, meaning you should not grieve for the loved one that has left for a higher plane, but grieve for your own sense of physical loss of a relationship. Millie, or whomever one loses, is in a better place, happy, joyous, free of the 'burden' of physical life, etc. Of course, emotionally that doesn't necessarily make you feel any better when you suffer a loss. My very close friend passed away on a day that was special for me. As time passed and my sorrow lessened, I viewed his 'choice' of passing on that day as a special gift to me and a connection that I would always have with him; that my special day became the day of his special journey, as well. Maybe that sounds weird, but I kind of viewed it as a spiritual compliment.

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I think that's true for an old dog with various ailments, but for a 10 year old who dies out of the blue, you kind of want to do everything to save it. :o

Stacer
January 20th, 2007, 04:32 PM
That's so sad. RIP Millie. I hope she wasn't scared or in pain when she left.:sad:

That's some good info to know Prin, I think I'll print that off and stick it up somewhere. Just in case. It only refers to dogs but i'm assuming it would work equally well with cats.

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Basically while your dog or kitty is still ok, try to feel where the heartbeat is most detectable and that's where you'd compress. Also, maybe try to find the pulse on the inner thigh. :)

Oh and remember not to compress too hard. You don't want cracked ribs and punctured lungs on top of a cardiac issue... :o Ideally, you'd want to have at least one CPR course for humans under your belt before trying this out... :)

twisten
January 21st, 2007, 03:53 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Millie:rip: too. Glad that you could be there for your neighbour though Stewart. I think it would have been worse for her had she been alone.

CyberKitten
January 21st, 2007, 06:01 PM
Awwww! So sorry to hear of your friend's loss of Millie (having once had a beagle, I know how wonderful they are!). I am also sorry to hear you had to go through this too!

I know what you mean about first aid. I have been known to try CPR on animals tho - tried it on my geriatrid rabbit when he had several cardiac arrests, sigh!

Stewart
January 22nd, 2007, 02:09 PM
Thank you all for the kind words on the loss of Millie. She was typically a "my minds made up" Beagle as i've often whitnessed her owener having to go get her when on a scent trail that seemed more important than what he wanted. They will miss thier loss of her I know greatly. Chico as for Gypsey she's 7yrs this month and hopefully as she's just recently had her annual vet check up and been given "A" ok I hope has lots of life left.