Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Weird cat

destine1983
January 20th, 2007, 02:45 AM
I have had my cat Junkie ever since he was just a kitten at 2 months. We've moved in two different appartments over the 6 years he's lived with us. I was just curious as to his problem. When he is around my husband or me, he is really affectionate. But as soon as an outsider appears, he makes a mad dash for the closet, the pantry or even under our bed. You wouldn't know that we had a cat except for the litter box and the food dish.
Does anyone else have a cat like this?
Anyone have any ideas as to why he is like this?

:cat:

badger
January 20th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Some cats are just not that social, they attach themselves to one or two people and reject the rest. I think it's a temperament thing and (although not in your case) their life experience.
Most of my strays behave the same way with anyone who comes from the 'outside'. But if they are exposed to that same person over and over - say, if I have someone come in to feed them when I'm away - they begin to lose their shyness. I've got one who went two years before he allowed me to touch him for longer than 2 seconds and he still hides if there's any kind of confusion or a new situation.
I wouldn't worry about it, you're not doing anything wrong.
Of course, one is always having to reassure people, 'it's not you, it's him' :)

This is my shy boy, Button, in one of his more social moments:

badger
January 20th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I can't resist a 'before' picture:

dogcatharmony
January 20th, 2007, 11:09 AM
My big cat Amos is very antisocial. He does the same thing, company comes in he runs and hides. He has one exception, when my mother comes to visit he will purposely sit infront of her with a grump look and swat at her if she moves. Not to sure why he does this, but you are not alone.

joeysmama
January 20th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Button looks like the cat my neighbor used to have. Exactly ! What a ctie.

Unfortunately my neighbor stopped allowing the cat in the house. I'm told she still put food out for her but she relegated her to being an outside cat always. We built her a shelter on our porch but then she took to living in our garage. We bought her food and so did my other neighbor. I was hesitant to just take her in and keep her because I thought I was stealing the children's kitty but I had no sooner decided that I was going to do it anyway and headed out for the litter box etc. when she disappeared. I feel terrible guilt over that.

My neighbor felt no guilt over abandoning the poor kitty though. And a few years later she left the 4 kids too ! :mad: Turns out I should have taken the cat AND the kids. Lucky thing they have an incredible dad who now has a lovely lady in his life who is single with no children of her own.

Oops, serious threadjack.:sorry:

Anyway--just wanted to say your kitty is just not so social with strangers. (My husband would hide under the bed when company comes if he could get away with it.;) )

Inisfad
January 20th, 2007, 12:29 PM
My cat, Fluffy, is like that to. She has a great hiding place inside the tv cabinet on the floor. Whenever anyone comes around, she makes a mad dash. I inherited her from an elderly woman who passed away. But, in Fluffy's defense, here is a quick story: Josie (my friend) was sitting in her kitchen alone, and Fluffy persistently kept going to the bedroom door and sniffing. After about 10 minutes of this, Josie got up to see what was attracting her attention. When she opened the bedroom door, there was a man halfway in her window, trying to break into her house! If it hadn't been for Fluffy, the man would have gotten in. So, even though Fluffy was very shy and nervous, she was bold and protective when it was needed!

joeysmama
January 20th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Now THAT is a very cool cat. Yay Fluffy:thumbs up !

twisten
January 20th, 2007, 03:06 PM
My step-brother had two silver-tipped persian cats and they were very anti-social with people they didn't know. He couldn't even get near the female for over a year.

Maya
January 20th, 2007, 03:20 PM
My last kitty was also very anti-social except once with a lady that I had come to feed him. She was a very serene person and he walked right up to her. He was kind of like a personality thermometer, very sensitive.

destine1983
January 22nd, 2007, 01:03 AM
:cat:
Wow Button is soooo cute. He looks like my ex's cat.
My cat has some other issues too. He seems to think he's a dog. If we throw a ball, he will go fetch it and bring it back to us to throw again. He litterally drinks from the toilet. If I have to go, and he is drinking, I have to wait my turn. Or sometimes while I'm in the washroom, he will attack the door to get it. Lol. But we love him just to same.

Here is a picture of my doggie cat. He's pretty big :thumbs up
(Hope the picture works)

destine1983
January 22nd, 2007, 01:20 AM
:fingerscr Hopefully it works this time. If not, can someone help me to figure out how to load a pic? With the URL, how do I do it? From my comp?