Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy mill busted

downloader
January 19th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Come on something has to be done already! Big bust south of Montreal around 35 dogs, mostly short hair breed, found in a unheated,dark barn. Front page of news paper has a picture of a very sad abused dog. Can anyone or anyone you know do something about the laws. :sad:
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/index.html

Prin
January 19th, 2007, 10:46 PM
There's a thread about it here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35475

I don't know how many it takes before animal lovers are heard.:sad:

mummummum
January 20th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Write your MP. Write your MPP. Write your Mayor. Write your City Councillors. Write the editor of all of your newspapers and The Globe and Mail. Whoever had to investigate and clear that human-made hell is probably unionized ~ write the union as well. Demand action and accountability for what, having been handed back to the Senate, is about to become completely watered-down animal abuse legislation.

Golden Girls
January 20th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Good idea :thumbs up Find your Member of Parliament:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/about/people/house/PostalCode.asp?Source=SM

One's thing for sure, we know animals don't have to endure this kind of suffering - maybe Linda Robertson / SPCA Monteregie can give tips to people who have the authority to do something about pupppy mills and direct the neccessary steps that must be taken - it sure gives a new meaning of hope :thumbs up

Lise
January 20th, 2007, 09:25 AM
In some countries it's illegal to sell puppies or kittens in petshops.I think that is the only solution that may help since any laws they pass to set standards of care requires inspectors to enforce and I think they have three in Quebec.I don't understand why with all the publicity given to these raids people stll buy from petshops,internet etc.

Golden Girls
January 20th, 2007, 09:28 AM
I guess education isn't as easy as it sounds :shrug: But I do believe people are listening, it just takes time.

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I agree, Lise. If we ban the outlet for the puppymills (aka selling pups and kitties in pet shops), then we might have a hope... Maybe... :sad:

Golden Girls
January 20th, 2007, 01:16 PM
In some countries it's illegal to sell puppies or kittens in petshopsThat would be great but as we know at least here in Quebec people like Louis McCann who sits on both boards of PIJAC and Anima Quebec said on national tv there's nothing wrong with pet store puppies and that millers just need to be educated http://montreal.ctv.ca/cfcf/news/on_assignment&id=1262#1262
so seing the government backs up millers, guess that leaves everyone else to educate the people not to buy or support pet shops that sell animals :shrug:and/or animal advocates to prove that millers are exploiting the animals and not even giving the bare minimum required by law.

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah, that was just so sad. :sad:

CyberKitten
January 20th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Can anyone or anyone you know do something about the laws.

The only ones who can change the law is us. If you examine every significant social change that has happened, it is because of people taking action - women and others obtaining the right to vote, strengthening environmental laws (hard to believe but they used to be worse), better health care... it all takes people!! Politicians are only our representatives and they respond to public pressure. That's what works! It is not easy and takes time but only people can change laws.

It would appear we are not dong very well when it comes to animals, sigh 9tho I have seen some changes even in my short lifetime so I do have hope!)

This in no ways absolves legislators of their responsibilities though!!

Lise
January 22nd, 2007, 09:23 AM
People are slowly becoming aware of the cruelty behind petstore,byb breeders etc.It's hard for Louis McCann or anyone else to say the millers just need educating when people see images of dogs freezing with no food or water.If someone needs to be taught that dogs or any other living creature needs warmth, food and water,then can they really learn all that is involved in breeding or even caring for another living being?I still think there is hope that someday a ban will be placed or petshops that sell puppies will lose enough business that they will stop.If more people shop at stores that don't deal in puppies and the horror that these mill stories generate in the general public raises public awareness to what's going on and the cruelty behind these puppies in stores.

Golden Girls
January 22nd, 2007, 10:32 AM
Of course the billion dollar industry has nothing to do with it :frustrated:

Barnoti was the only one here that made any sense:
Mutsumi: Well, Mr. Barnoti, what do you think? Do you think the pet shops should be in the business of selling dogs and cats?
Barnoti: Itís a billion-dollar industry thatís being defended very strongly by the representative of the industry and I understand him fully. The thing is today there is well over a hundred breeds of dogs and before a pet shop can deal with a hundred, well over a hundred suppliers, becomes more difficult. So you see more and more brokers and the brokers will pass from pet shop to pet shop with exception, there is good pet shops and I agree with you. However, most of the business now is brokers passing from pet shop to pet shop and going to the puppy mill for the supply. So can it be improved? Some industrial countries and cities have decided that it isnít. You want to buy a pet? You buy it from a breeder. You buy it from somebody whoís decent. You buy it from abandonment and so on and so forth and have succeeded in doing it properly. Now should we close pet shops? Absolutely not. It still is an industry. God knows that in the United States, you have 40,000 square feet stores selling supplies, selling and very successfully, so basically until such time as the pet shops will have decent animals coming from decent breeders, my comment is weíre too far away from seeing this happen. And until we have norms and standards, Iím not talking about what Ms. Clark was saying, Iím saying norm, nine provinces saw fit to have norm and standards. It will guarantee the quality. And then, maybe pet shops can sell animals. Until then, the pet shop himself does not know where the animal is coming from.
Not that it did anything :sad:

meb999
January 22nd, 2007, 11:35 AM
Money makes the world go around...I don't think they'll ever make selling pups and kittens in petstores illegal...but some legislature on how these pups are kept and raised (and people to do the check-ups) is probably the only way to go. Pets stores are a billion dollar industry, they have lobyists, and expensive lawyers, there's no way a law would ever stop the sale of animals in pet stores..unfortunetly...:sad:

twisten
January 22nd, 2007, 01:24 PM
First I want to say that I'm in no way saying that I agree with pet stores selling puppies and kittens. Just that we have a pet store close to us that sells puppies and a few kittens. The puppies are mainly small breed, I've only seen a few large breeds such as huskies in there. These pups are sold for an extremely high amount of money. My point is that I have never saw a puppy in there with any kind of health problem and they are all well socialized. most of the pups are together in an enclosure in the store where customers can pet them and what not. The only ones in glass enclosures are the delicate ones such as chi's who would be hurt playing with larger puppies. I know lots who have bought their puppies there and the only problems they have had are normal problems we all get no matter where we get our puppies from. I don't know where these puppies come from, to my knowledge we have no puppy mills around here. I wonder if I asked if they would tell me? My daughter is friends with a girl who works there.

Golden Girls
January 22nd, 2007, 01:48 PM
I'm sure even if the employee ask's they'll say a breeder. Actually most employees really believe that anyway. Usually they deal with puppy brokers who deal directly with the millers. I'm sure there must be some good pet stores out there but I don't think that's the only problem. It's unrealistic to think animals will never be sold in pet stores seeing t's such a huge industry. The problem is no reputable breeder would ever sell to pet stores mainly because anyone at all can purchase them and their well being might not be in the best intensions, like breeding them :shrug: Secondly their health is not checked and many people spend thousands. Then of course there's the one's that don't or won't. Another problem is it's been proven animals bought at pet store are more likely to have been bought impulsively hence just ending up at shelters anyway < -- which is where were at right now - it's a vicious circle.

So I think mainly it should be about regulating the puppy mills or at least making sure their livestock is being taking care of properly: food/water/space/heat/air/light and lil excercise < -- I don't think that's asking too much. Apparently, it is though

Lise
January 24th, 2007, 08:39 AM
I don't think it is impossible to ban the sale of pupies through petstores.Many large chains are only selling supplies and offering space to rescue groups for adoptions.The pet industry as a whole is a mult biilion dollar industry,but the mill portion is a very small percentage and the industry does not like the negative publicity theses generate for the industry as a whole.

Golden Girls
January 24th, 2007, 05:43 PM
The pet industry as a whole is a mult biilion dollar industry,but the mill portion is a very small percentage and the industry does not like the negative publicity theses generate for the industry as a whole.I'm not sure what you mean by the mill being a very small %? IMO if you took away all the millers < -- it would be a major impact in the industry as a whole. It appears the government thinks so - that being the very reason why things are the way they are.

Prin
January 24th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I agree. The millers make up most of the dog breeding industry... :o

Lise
January 28th, 2007, 10:28 AM
The mill industry makes up a large percentage as far as dog breeding.I was saying the mill industry does not make a large part of the pet industry as a whole.The pet industry makes more in the sales of dry goods,small animals,fish etc than puppies.The government is not only being influenced by the pet industry,public apathy plays an important role.

Golden Girls
January 28th, 2007, 01:48 PM
The mill industry makes up a large percentage as far as dog breeding.I was saying the mill industry does not make a large part of the pet industry as a whole.The pet industry makes more in the sales of dry goods,small animals,fish etc than puppies.The government is not only being influenced by the pet industry,public apathy plays an important role.:confused: I'm lost but it's ok :) I'm sure were both just explaining it differently.