Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What does fostering involve?

LynLyn
January 19th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I've been curious lately in fostering dogs. What does it entail? Do they come to your house to evaluate you and the house? Do they come do surprise visits to check on the animal? What about vet costs, and how long is it for generally? Do I take the dogs to school? I have never fostered or have any friends that do so any information at all would be greatly appreciated!

Prin
January 19th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Depends on the rescue you foster for.. I've fostered twice for Teddy's Canine Railroad and both times were about a month to a month and a half, but the three dogs were high demand puppies... Teddy's provided the food and pee pads, which not all do...

Frenchy
January 19th, 2007, 09:52 PM
It does depends on the rescue like Prin said. They will make a house visit to make sure you would be a good foster candidate. Then you have to treat the foster as you would your own dog. You have to get them spay/neuter/vaccinated (rescue would pay for it) and you may have to pay for your foster's food ( I do) and I'm in charge of getting my foster adopted. That means only I can decide where the dog goes. It is my responsability to choose the right family. That's the hardest thing. But I usually either do a house visit or ask another rescue volunteer to do one. It is extremely rewarding. Specially when you get dogs up for euthanasia out of shelters and get them into a loving family.

mummummum
January 19th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Good for you LynLyn for considering it ~ I have nothing but respect and pure gratitude for anyone who provide shelter to or foster animals. It is such a self-less and compassionate thing that speaks volumes for those who cannot speak for themselves.

Please do consider it ~ our planet needs more humans.

x.l.r.8
January 20th, 2007, 02:31 AM
It means having to give them up :sad:, we had been looking into it and decided we couldn't do it. We are so grateful to those who do as we wouldn't have our boy otherwise :thumbs up . So now it's our mission to support those who do by lightening the load and once we have the local shelter we are hoping to provide an extra pair of hands where ever needed. Well done for looking into it, I hope you persue it further than we could (we are now looking to add to our home another permenant member, if only the rescue would get back to us :mad: )

Spirit
January 20th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Part of my job is working with rescues. When there is no room at the shelters, we foster them out. This is how WE handle fostering.

What does it entail? Heartache if you get easily attached (I'm only partly kidding).
Do they come to your house to evaluate you and the house? Yes.
Do they come do surprise visits to check on the animal? Yes.
What about vet costs, Food and medical are covered.
and how long is it for generally? The average would be a couple months, but I've seen it go from days to years. It depends on many factors.
Do I take the dogs to school? School? You can take the dog wherever you want to... so long as it's happy and healthy.

We make sure that you're a qualified foster parent first (and check up on it after). Fostering is a difficult job. It is VERY rewarding, but it can be hard to let go when the dog finds a new home.

Not long before Christmas, we got 28 large breed 6 week-ish old lab/pit (we think) puppies in. They were all in very poor health, with no room at the shelters. We lost 7 during transit, trying to find them somewhere to sleep.

LynLyn
January 20th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Thank you everyone! I appreciate the quick response so much!!:thumbs up Hubby and I have been considering either fostering or adopting another dog, and I DO get attached! quite easily! maybe we'll foster and end up adopting! :shrug:

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Ahh, being a foster failure.:D If you go to petfinder, you can do a shelter and rescue search and you'll see all the rescues in Qc.:shrug:

phoenix
January 20th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Please do consider it ~ our planet needs more humans.

well put mummummum