Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppy housetraining question

crazyforcats
January 19th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I am in the process of housetraining our new 11-week old Shih Tzu cross puppy. I have a couple questions:

1. Do I allow her access to water at all times? I am finding conflicting info on this topic.

2. If she's sleeping, do I wake her up to take her outside if it's been over an hour since the last time she peed?

Thanks for any replies!

Hunter's_owner
January 19th, 2007, 12:22 PM
You can allow her access to water at all times, but monitor when she is drinking and you might want to take her out to pee after a drink. You can also take it away about an hour before she goes down for the night.

You don't need to wake her to go out, but as soon as she wakes you can take her out.

Spirit
January 19th, 2007, 12:28 PM
1. With younger puppies, I remove the water a couple hours before bedtime so they (hopefully) sleep through the night, and also when the dog is crated, to prevent accidents. Puppies don't develop FULL bladder control until 16 weeks old. Housebreaking can be done at an early age, but if you're not there to let puppy out when they they cry, they won't be able to hold it for long.

2. Like hunter said... No. If she needs to go, she'll tell you.

:)

jessi76
January 19th, 2007, 12:28 PM
1. as hunter's owner said, yes, but you should monitor it. limiting water an hour or so before bed helps minimize middle of the night potty trips.

2. as the saying goes... let sleeping dogs lie.

crazyforcats
January 19th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Thank you for your replies! I appreciate it! This housetraining thing is a little more difficult than I thought... :o

twisten
January 19th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I'm in the middle of litter training my 3 month old chihuahua baby and I don't take her water away at night. I do however take her food away before bed time. I keep her in a playpen at night with her litterbox so if she has to go she can. If I were taking her outside to train her then yes I would take her water away. Good luck with the potty training. I can actually say I'm seeing results now when she isn't in her play pen. Yeahhh!!:goodvibes:

tenderfoot
January 19th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Twisten - I would strongly encourage you to not free feed your pup. It makes housetraining much tougher and it can lead to a picky eater. Dogs are meant to eat proper meals - the whole mouse in your case or the whole rabbit in a Great Danes case. Their body is built for it.

It also creates the correct balance in your relationship. The leader controls the food. If the dog sees you put the food down and pick it up again (after 10 mintues) then the dog will understand that you control the food and you are in charge. If the dog believes the food belongs to him then he believes he is in charge because he owns the food. It is a simple and easy way to establish leadership.

It would be a good idea to hold the water back at night. Right now it is possible that your pup isn't really learning to hold herself. This has to be taught. But if she is always loading up on food and water then she can become a perpetual pee/poo machine. Part of housetraining is to help them learn to hold it until they can go outside or to their box.