Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Canada (doesn't) spy on Americans with money

LM1313
January 19th, 2007, 10:34 AM
January 11th -- The US Defense Department announces that Canada is using fake money to spy on Americans.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=sci_tech&id=4925733

January 18th -- The US Defense Department announces Canada is NOT using fake money to spy on Americans.

http://www.dss.mil/dss_coin_announce.htm

This is the funniest thing I've ever heard. I like how the report of Canadian spy-money is accompanied by a picture of AMERICAN money.

jiorji
January 19th, 2007, 11:45 AM
LOL you've got to be kidding me.

Prin
January 19th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I love how there are always claims to the effect that we have technologies that don't even exist yet. And then we have a catastophe and wonder how we didn't know about it when we have all these crazy satellite tools available to us.:D We don't. That's only in the movies.:D

hazelrunpack
January 19th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Sheesh! No one checks sources any more! Wouldn't you have thought, when something so patently ridiculous came across the desk, that someone would have checked it out before compiling it in the annual report?! :frustrated: Bah! :shrug:

jiorji
January 19th, 2007, 11:51 AM
I don't even know who to blame here, the gov't or the media, for making up crazy stuff like this to further fuel paranoia into people. And wow...now they're making Canada a threat with the spying?!?! lol seriously, will they ever stop thinking everyone is out to get them ?? LOL :laughing: :laughing:

thanks for the laugh

LM1313
January 19th, 2007, 12:34 PM
We'd better invade you guys just to make sure. HEY, GET THAT SPY-MONEY AWAY FROM ME! :2cents: :2cents: :2cents:

Prin
January 19th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Oo or maybe you guys are the ones with the spy coins and you pretended it was us as a diversion! :eek: :evil:

Rick C
January 19th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I don't even know who to blame here, the gov't or the media, for making up crazy stuff like this to further fuel paranoia into people. And wow...now they're making Canada a threat with the spying?!?! lol seriously, will they ever stop thinking everyone is out to get them ?? LOL :laughing: :laughing:

thanks for the laugh

To be fair, no one said Canada was responsible for bugging its own coins and therefore no one made Canada out to be a threat in this sense.

The inference was China, Russia, etc were engaged in industrial espionage . . . . which is true on a broad scale and a serious matter, as it has been for decades.

The release of the original information did make it a legitimate news story . . . . as is the retraction which makes that particular government agency look like goofs.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Gazoo
January 20th, 2007, 01:12 PM
We'd better invade you guys just to make sure.

Typical American response to any situation :p

joeysmama
January 20th, 2007, 01:20 PM
It wasn't a huge story here in the US but the reports that I saw all suggested that someone other than Canada was using Canadian coins. I heard that Canada was specifically NOT the country suspected of spying but rather that someone else felt that Canadian coins would be a good conduit.:shrug:

Dogastrophe
January 20th, 2007, 02:37 PM
January 11th -- The US Defense Department announces that Canada is using fake money to spy on Americans.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=sci_tech&id=4925733

January 18th -- The US Defense Department announces Canada is NOT using fake money to spy on Americans.

http://www.dss.mil/dss_coin_announce.htm

This is the funniest thing I've ever heard. I like how the report of Canadian spy-money is accompanied by a picture of AMERICAN money.

Actually it was never a story about Canada using coins to spy on America but rather a story about Canadian coins being used (the original story spoke about a belief that transponder equipped coins were being used to 'bug' certain individuals to track their movements.

It was later released that this belief could not be substantiated.

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 05:09 PM
It wasn't a huge story here in the US but the reports that I saw all suggested that someone other than Canada was using Canadian coins. I heard that Canada was specifically NOT the country suspected of spying but rather that someone else felt that Canadian coins would be a good conduit.:shrug:

lol what a good conduit since there are so freaking many coins here.:D