Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can Different Species Mate?

Mahealani770
January 19th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Ok, so my little cousin (6 yrs old) calls me this morning and they have a dog and a cat. She asked me if the dog and the cat could have a baby and this may sound ridiculous, but I didn't know what to tell her because I truly don't know. If her cat goes into heat and the dog gets on her, could that actually happen? (I'm cringing right now):yuck:
~M~

Hunter's_owner
January 19th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Nope, a dog and cat can't have a litter together.

There are some species that can, like a horse and a donkey can have a mule, but most species can't due to differences in the number of chromosomes.

Prin
January 19th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Yeah, it's the chromosomes, but also the enzymes produced by the sperm usually aren't the right ones to break through the egg wall.:shrug:

Mahealani770
January 19th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Wow, thanks for the enlightenment ladies. I'll pass this on to my little cousin..lol Has anyone ever seen a dog and a cat try or any other species? :yuck: (I'm cringing again)

Prin
January 19th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Well, with a dog and a cat, it would probably be a dominance thing, not something sexual.:shrug:

jiorji
January 19th, 2007, 10:56 AM
lol silly thread :crazy: :laughing:

no i haven't seen anything like that. I think nature knows better than to mix and mingle like that if there's no scientifical result like an offspring.
Animals only go into heat for purposes of expanding their race and they only mate for that not for pleasure, so there would be no inclination to hump the closest available specie :laughing:

If the cat goes in heat, the dog might sniff her a lot and steer clear of the meowing.:shrug:
So when your cousin calls back...say "ok hun let me talk to your mom about spaying that cat:thumbs up " hehe

Maya
January 19th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I think as close as we come to different species producing offspring is in the Equidae (horses, donkeys, and zebras) E.g. mules etc.. I think some divergent squirrels may also be able to. And of course there's always Photoshop.:p :cat: :dog:

Lukka'sma
January 19th, 2007, 12:58 PM
[QUOTE=jiorji;355182]lol silly thread :crazy: :laughing:

Gee Mahealanie770, I hope someone pointing out that you started a silly thread doesn't prevent you from wanting to ask a question in the future on the chance that someone will and demean you for your lack of info. No such thing as a silly question if the poster honestly doesn't know the answer and is sincere in asking for advice.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
January 19th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Some more hybrid critters :)

http://www.messybeast.com/genetics/hybrid-cats.htm
http://www.hemmy.net/2006/06/19/top-10-hybrid-animals/

Maya
January 19th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Wow. Now that's a big kitty!!!!

Hunter's_owner
January 19th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Gee Mahealanie770, I hope someone pointing out that you started a silly thread doesn't prevent you from wanting to ask a question in the future on the chance that someone will and demean you for your lack of info. No such thing as a silly question if the poster honestly doesn't know the answer and is sincere in asking for advice.

I just wanted to add that I don't think she meant it in a bad way.;)

Maya
January 19th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Animals only go into heat for purposes of expanding their race and they only mate for that not for pleasureSorry jiorji I know you're not being mean, I hope it doesn't look like I'm ganging up, I just remembered that some scientists believe sea lions and dolphins may also mate just for fun. I'm not sure though.:shrug:

Prin
January 19th, 2007, 02:16 PM
I thought sea lions were vicious little buggers...:evil:

Mahealani won't be deterred from asking questions, IMO... She's a tough cookie.:D :fingerscr

Remember the cabbit thread? Now cabbits are silly.:D

LM1313
January 19th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Dolphins DEFINITELY mate for fun. Bonobos (aka pygmy chimps) also mate for fun, social interaction, and to relieve stress.

I think with some other animals as well there's an aspect of pleasure or "fulfillment" that goes beyond procreation. For example, in some animals males exhibit homosexual behavior (giraffes, bison, the aformentioned bonobos). Not just "mounting for dominance", but full on courtship rituals followed by mounting. Obviously not very useful for procreation. ;) Probably a good way to "bond" with other males and prevent disharmony, though. Seems to mostly occur in animals that travel in herds or clans.

technodoll
January 19th, 2007, 02:34 PM
ah this is enlightening. i've always wondered what this meant :D

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/bestvintage/images/gallery_pic09.jpg

Mahealani770
January 19th, 2007, 02:34 PM
HAHAHA...Never fear Prin, Jiorji and Lukka's ma...I AM a tough cookie and believe me, NOTHING could deter me from asking a question :D

Thanks for all the information. This has been really interesting. That leopon is a MESS though! Geez!:confused: :eek:

PetFriendly
January 19th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Well, with a dog and a cat, it would probably be a dominance thing, not something sexual.:shrug:

I have to disagree... A young and rather small dog I know used to go after its housemate, the cat, when she went into heat... The cat has been fixed, they still play, but in a much more PG13 way :o

jiorji
January 19th, 2007, 11:03 PM
HAHAHA...Never fear Prin, Jiorji and Lukka's ma...I AM a tough cookie and believe me, NOTHING could deter me from asking a question :D

Thanks for all the information. This has been really interesting. That leopon is a MESS though! Geez!:confused: :eek:

omg no i wasn't making fun of you :o
i thought it was silly cos i thought "kids have the funniest questions to ask adults"

jiorji
January 19th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I just remembered that some scientists believe sea lions and dolphins may also mate just for fun.

yeah i heard that too, but how can we REALLY tell?

Byrd
January 19th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Interspecies procreation is possible in some animals as mentioned (horse + donkey = mule) but a mule is always sterile, so it's not exactly useful now is it? :p

Apparently dolphins and primates are the only animals that commit rape.

CyberKitten
January 20th, 2007, 03:26 AM
This reminds me of the urban legends about cabbits - the result of the union between a cat and a rabbit. Of course, it was bogus and well, urban legend, lol

Inisfad
January 20th, 2007, 11:40 AM
I read somewhere that in essence all species (other than man who is socialized to be different?) are bi-sexual, and when in heat will present to any male (and any male will try to mate with anything in heat where the size difference is unreasonable). I have had female cats prior to spaying try to mate with my dog, and vice verse.