Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how to identify a canadian driver

technodoll
January 18th, 2007, 10:12 PM
1. - One hand on wheel, one hand on horn: MONTREAL

2. - One hand on wheel, one finger out window: TORONTO

3. - One hand on wheel, one finger out window, cutting across all lanes of traffic: OTTAWA

4. - Both hands on wheel, eyes shut, both feet on brake, quivering in terror: SASKATOON, but driving in TORONTO

5. - Both hands in air, gesturing, both feet on accelerator, head turned to talk to someone in the back seat: QUEBEC CITY

6. - One hand on 12 oz. double shot latte, one knee on wheel, cradling cell phone, foot on brake, mind on radio game, banging head on steering wheel while stuck in traffic: VANCOUVER

7. - One hand on wheel, one hand on hunting rifle, alternating between both feet being on the brake and both feet on the accelerator, throwing McDonald's bag out the window: RED DEER

8. - Four wheel drive pick-up truck, shotgun mounted in rear window, beer cans on the floor, raccoon tails attached to the antenna: PRINCE GEORGE

9. - Two hands gripping wheel, blue hair barely visible above windshield driving 40 km/hr on Hwy 1 in the left lane with the left blinker on: VICTORIA

10. - One ski-doo mitt on steering wheel, one ski-doo mitt scrapper in hand out front window scrapping frost, Guess Who on 8 track playing Share The Land, hockey equipment smelling up car interior, waiting at lights for snow removal equipment to finish clearing intersection: WINNIPEG

Prin
January 18th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Heh heh, Montreal ROCKS! lol When I was in Calgary, they said that whenever you hear a honk, it's likely to be a Qc driver.:D

erykah1310
January 18th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Thats cute... As a flagger I have noticed a few differences between Quebec and Ontario Drivers, we defianately are way more into "gestures" than honking!:D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 18th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Vernon BC...drive 40k in a 50k zone - even if there is no one ahead of you for miles. :D

slow down to a complete halt before turning the corner - just in case you may tip over. :)

CyberKitten
January 18th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Maritimers??? ... (Hoping you will readmit us to confederation :D or is it ecause I cheer fr the Bruins? amd pssssst, it's a group in Quebec that wants to leave.) and no, I don't drive a snowmobile tho I did once run into a moose if you recall). So I cannot think (too tired) of any Maritime driving jokes and even running into the moose was not amusing for me or the moose.

However, I did happen upon this cute joke recently:

Animal Lover on the Drive

A man was driving down the road with twenty penguins in the back seat. The police stop him and say that he can't drive around with the penguins in the car and should take them to the zoo. The man agrees and drives off.

The next day the same man is driving down the road with twenty penguins in the back and again. He is stopped by the same police officer who says, "Hey! I though I told you to take those to the zoo."

The man replies "I did. Today I'm taking them to the movies."

jiorji
January 18th, 2007, 11:02 PM
2. - One hand on wheel, one finger out window: TORONTO

that is NOT true!

It's left hand on wheel and body shifted so that you can put your right elbow on that cup holder thing between the seats. And the driver's seat has to be really low back and the seat really far up so that you can reach the break. And then you bop your head to the music....:shrug: :yuck: TO drivers :footinmouth:

technodoll
January 18th, 2007, 11:42 PM
A man was driving down the road with twenty penguins in the back seat. The police stop him and say that he can't drive around with the penguins in the car and should take them to the zoo. The man agrees and drives off.

The next day the same man is driving down the road with twenty penguins in the back and again. He is stopped by the same police officer who says, "Hey! I though I told you to take those to the zoo."

The man replies "I did. Today I'm taking them to the movies."

ROTFLMAO!!! :laughing: :laughing:

Prin
January 18th, 2007, 11:44 PM
lol I love a good penguin joke.:D Lucky pengies! :D

AliSam
January 19th, 2007, 10:59 AM
I do both the honk & the gesture. I am going to get shot one day lol.

technodoll
January 19th, 2007, 11:20 AM
when my dad lived in calgary, he saw a bumper sticker on pick-up truck that read "Keep honking, I'm reloading" :D i never forgot that one!!

trippincherri
January 19th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Ha ha I don't know about Quebec and Ontariod drivers, but being from Alberta and have driven in B.C I do know that B.C drivers are sooo laid back .

I am used to driving fast and getting where I need to go in a reasonably short period of time, and in B.C you end up stuck behind a line up of tourists doing 10k so that they can still take pictures while not leaving their vehicle!

My cousin from B.C stayed with us for a few weeks and was literally hanging onto the door in my car because she said we all drive crazy on this side of the mountains ha ha ha.
And as for Sask. well I don't know what there is too say about their driving but they do have the most bare land of all, hardly any trees compared to Alberta, and the amount of roadkill is unreal.:yuck:

Dogastrophe
January 19th, 2007, 01:10 PM
One arm resting on the window, one hand fiddling with the radio, right knee steering, right foot working the pedals, head looking right as you swerve left across three lanes during morning rush: Halifax

All hands and feet where they are supposed to be, yielding at stop signs, stopping at yield signs, not knowing what to do at merge signs: Fredericton

Stacer
January 19th, 2007, 04:37 PM
that is NOT true!

It's left hand on wheel and body shifted so that you can put your right elbow on that cup holder thing between the seats. And the driver's seat has to be really low back and the seat really far up so that you can reach the break. And then you bop your head to the music....:shrug: :yuck: TO drivers :footinmouth:

That's true but only for the portion of Torontonians that are under 30, male and driving a honda civic that's all souped up.

I do agree with the bird flippin' though, I've done it many times. There is also the "pass the bad driver and crane your neck around and shoot a dirty look as they pretend not to notice you" move.

CyberKitten
January 19th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Dogastrophe, you forgot the Armdale Rotary (in Hfx) or what are we calling it now, lol? Or right, roundabout. (I can say I do none of those things re Hfx but I learned to drive in northern NB, close to Quebec so I prob drive too fast I am convinced Que and NY drivers have the same instructor school, lol) and make to many expressions with my hands, assuming other drivers know what I mean even when they can't see me, lol I have been known to fidget with the radio but since I have been promoting safety as part of a hospital committee, I practice what I preach and am a boring but safe driver. I have always worn my seat belts even before it was legislation and was admittedly shocked to discover so many ppl do not!

My bf is from Cape Breton and I'd have to say a driver from there if not lighting a cigarette is fixing a hat while turning the radio dial or ejecting a CD, talking on a cell phone and playing with the dog, all while in traffic. (Hopefully, he won't read this, lol)

Dogastrophe
January 19th, 2007, 05:01 PM
CK, I've been purposely avoiding the rotary until the City figures out exactly how it is now going to 'work'. When I worked downtown, I used to see so many people at the Windsor St interchange trying to go from the Joe Howe ramp to the Barrington lane in one non stop motion as they tried not to spill their Tims while yacking on the phone.

CyberKitten
January 19th, 2007, 06:30 PM
HaHa Dogastrophe, I know what you mean. I forgot about the drinking Tims part - add that to CB drivers too, lol And I see ppl on Robie and Qunipool with Tim's in their hands and a cell phone too. <Shudder>, often early in the morning. I know it is heavy traffic time then - ya think they assume there are enough lights that they'll stop from time to time? I too avoid the roundabout if I can. I've even driven out out and thru Clayton Park to get to the main highway. My own little route thru Dutch Village and up Rufus in Fairview and then to Lacewood and the highway. I once as a student lived on Willet and I still am amazed at how that area has grown, it is scary!!

This discussion reminds me of a woman I saw in traffic on a SIX lane highway near where my folks go for the winter. She was reading a book, if you can imagine it. It was all I could do to keep my eyes on the road, the other drivers and look for my exit!! Gawd!! One wonders if she had a death wish.

Hunter's_owner
January 19th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Actually I passed a guy on the highway last summer and he was reading a book:eek: (His license plate said Quebec;) :D )

technodoll
January 19th, 2007, 11:43 PM
how the HECK does one read a book while driving? :confused: OMG now i've heard everything, LOL :eek:

CyberKitten
January 20th, 2007, 04:08 AM
This woman's plates read NY tho in Florida, that could mean she lived in Fla but had not got around to changing her plates yet. (In some Floridian neighbourhood, you can walk thru it and many ppl have the plates from their "former states" somewhere on their property :confused: )

As far as I could ascertain TDol, she would red a paragraph and look up at the road, continue driving, read another paragraph... that kind of iteration... scary!! (for her and for other drivers!)

Skryker
January 20th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Heading into TO during morning rush hour once, hubby and I saw a guy doing his bills-statements resting on the steering wheel, calculator in one hand, briefcase open on the passenger seat. I assume his chequebook was somewhere nearby, too....:eek:

And let's not forget the make-up and CURLING IRON routine in the mornings-I've seen that too many times in too many places. Talk about risky business! Bad enough to risk putting an eye out with mascara, but the curling iron? Yikes!

Skryker
January 20th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Oh, and I forgot-one hand on wheel, one hand on "cigarette" veering all the way over into the right hand turn lane to make a left hand turn-CORNWALL!!!

Dogastrophe
January 20th, 2007, 02:43 PM
This woman's plates read NY tho in Florida, that could mean she lived in Fla but had not got around to changing her plates yet. (In some Floridian neighbourhood, you can walk thru it and many ppl have the plates from their "former states" somewhere on their property :confused: )

As far as I could ascertain TDol, she would red a paragraph and look up at the road, continue driving, read another paragraph... that kind of iteration... scary!! (for her and for other drivers!)

I was in Pittsburgh a while ago and followed a guy from the Airport into the City (about 25 miles or so) who had his laptop resting on his lap. He had one hand on the wheel and the other was typing ... all at a speed of around 70mph.

Cathy1
January 20th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I saw a bumper sticker last week on a car from B.C which said
" Horn broken, watch for finger":D

Mocha's mum
January 20th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Ha ha ha!!! This is a great thread! Here's one from my hometown:

20 km under the speed limit, right turn signal on for at least six blocks, with no intention of turning :frustrated: - Edmonton

or

Ordering one of everything at the Tim Horton's drive thru window....and then paying for it with the change out of your ashtray as cars line up forever....:frustrated:

jiorji
January 20th, 2007, 08:56 PM
That's true but only for the portion of Torontonians that are under 30, male and driving a honda civic that's all souped up.

haha i haven't heard anyone say that in a LOOOOOOOOOONG time

AliSam
January 20th, 2007, 09:51 PM
That is pretty funny! My hubby was in that category 5 years ago. He was driving MY souped up Honda Civic that I still drive now though it isn't quite as souped up now. The airplane wing is gone.

I had one yesterday while commuting to work. A guy couldn't be bothered warming up his old van so he pulled out onto a country road with a speed limit of 80 in front of a line up of cars and proceeded to drive 30km/h so he could warm up his van.

trippincherri
January 21st, 2007, 01:13 PM
We were just in Edmonton a few months back and watched a nicely dressed buisness type guy shaving in his rearview mirror then quickly brushed his teeth with his finger and spit out the window!!
Ahh I love living in a small town, we don't have people spitting their toothpaste out the window here.

wdawson
January 21st, 2007, 02:03 PM
i can't wait till WIFI is everywhere.....then we can all surf the net while driving to work in rush hour:eek:

CyberKitten
January 21st, 2007, 06:03 PM
Oh Gawd, ppl do that already in some parts of Canada - the Maritimes included and I have seen that - it belongs in the dangerous driver thread!!

Hunter's_owner
January 23rd, 2007, 09:29 AM
I guess us Canajuns aren't the only ones... ;) http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/070122/us/usreport_usa_driving_dc_1