Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

i have a questions about a medication: Amyltriptaline.

allygirlxo8
January 18th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I was looking at a thread last night and someone mentioned amyltriptaline. she used it on her cat to stop her cat from marking around her house. now i can do all the research on this that i want but it wont answer the true qustion. does it really work and what do you think about it? so if you heard anything about this mysterious drug let me know because i am going to head to the vet and i might ask him for it. but i want to get an opinion from the general public.

Ally

Byrd
January 18th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Don't know about cats, but in humans it's used to treat insomnia, anxiety, and depression. I was on it for a while and it backfired for me, almost drove my car into the side of a tunnel... on purpose.

dustybird
January 18th, 2007, 10:36 PM
The vets I use to work for used it and another one called clomicalm all the time after everything else failed. Then one of our vets discoverd a product called Feliway(which you can buy at pestmart/superpet etc..) it has a new name now Comfort Zone with Feliway. It is similar to a glade plugin but has no odour to humans. It is made to give off happy cat phermones and it's most common use is to help with spraying or anxiety. We had quiet a few clients with mutiple cat households(more than 5) so there was always someone spraying and they fell in love with it and said it worked great. It is more pricy than the drugs but I think the fact that it's not a drug makes it worth a try as the two drugs sometimes work and sometimes don't and can make them dopey but I think the doepy wears off after awhile, not sure though and like all drugs everyones reaction is different. I would try the Feliway Plugin first if it were me, you should be able to find more info on it by googleing(spelling) it. Good luck and hope this was somewhat helpful. Oh we did have one clinic cat that sprayed all the time(the reason he lived at the clinic) and our boss put him on clomicalm which is basicaly the same as the amitrip. and it wasn't 100% effective for him, could have had to with the ever changing environment he was in.

allygirlxo8
January 18th, 2007, 10:40 PM
yeah... i wrote a thread earlier. it was more in depth about my problem... "my cant is peeing in my bed! what can i do?" and i mentioned that i tried that and my cat didnt really change any. she smelt it and ran away! kinda funny but i odnt want her hiding all the time.