Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The January Blues

Shamrock
January 18th, 2007, 08:51 PM
What's your antidote for the bleak January when spirits sag?

Like everybody.. I find the short dark days, post holiday letdown and the general crappy weather can be a real downer.:sad:
They sure have been affecting me lately.

We've had a very harsh winter, (for B.C) very little sunshine. Now our snow, which was at least a diversion, has evolved into a slushy mess that will be some time clearing. Walking the dog isnt much fun - for either of us. It's miserable and cold... and more to come.

Everyone around me seems kind of cranky and irritable..or maybe it's me that is the testy one :eek:
Had words with a friend.. then felt guilty.
Even my pets have been annoying me.

To top it off, I broke the zipper on my jeans today. Having indulged in too much Christmas delight.. I now apparently have packed on enough extra pounds to hibernate till spring.
As a trip to a sunny destination isnt likely...that idea's sounding pretty appealing;)

Are you affected by the winter weather and shorter days?

technodoll
January 18th, 2007, 08:58 PM
i have to say we've been VERY lucky here this year, "winter" only really started last weekend... the above-normal temps and dry ground really cut the long winter in half. last month when i left work it was pitch black, now it's still pale grey so the days are getting longer... january is more than half gone, then february is short, and march will fly by... i dunno, for me it's not bad at all this year (sorry) :o

a great antidote is luminotherapy... a quick 10-min session in a tanning bed once or twice per week can do miracles, it really does stimulate the good melatonin in the brain, which releases happy chemicals :) well that is the very simplified explanation, LOL! and you get a little bit of color to face the summer... not "glow in the dark" pale like i am right now, yuck and i know the weather SUCKS but a brisk walk or jog to get that heart pumping makes you feel sooo good after, then you start wanting to eat better and lose weight...

sit down with a puzzle in a brightly-lit room, with a cup of tea and your favorite music on. share the puzzle with a friend or your hubby. start advanced "spring cleaning" in the closets. host a fondue party with lots of wine... there are ways around this bleak time of year! :highfive:

Maya
January 18th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Lots of green tea. I also find that I get more dehydrated with the heat on all the time in the winter. What I do when I start feeling really yucky is dilute 100% juice cranberry or something like that in a big glass of filtered H20, it almost always perks me up after I drink that down.

Also I always feel better after I do my beginner's pilates video for posture.:) The longer I sit at the computer and post on pets the harder it is to get started though.:p

Prin
January 18th, 2007, 09:22 PM
To top it off, I broke the zipper on my jeans today. Having indulged in too much Christmas delight.. I now apparently have packed on enough extra pounds to hibernate till spring.Oh yeah, that's always the straw that breaks the camel's back eh? :grouphug:

What I do is just enjoy the little things... Like sitting by the window, with your elbows on the sill, leaning over a heater that's heating, watching it be cold outside. Maybe with a hot chocolate. IMO, you're lucky as heck if you can do that.

Or taking a lazy Sunday to forget all your obligations and responsibilities and just conk out on the sofa like a teenager, watching your favorite movies.

Little things...:o

CyberKitten
January 18th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Here, we usually have the February blahs for some reason and I have been known to throw a Beat the Feb Blahs party or two. I also keep in mind that March 17 is not too far off and get out my Irish flag - nothing like preparing early, lol

We have had a nice unseasonably warm winter (until now of course when we are all whining , present company included to some degree, lol) so it has been hard to think of it being cold and miserable. It actually has seemed like fall for most of the winter.

But you HAVE had an unusually bad BC winter - you guys usually manage to have better winters. I have known it to be -20 or even -30 in Nov and it was only -30 this past week (-55 with the wind chill one night this week) so up till this week, I have been enjoying the winter. (Tho I worry it may be global warming , Gawd, I should just enjoy it right, lol).

There are ppl who suffer from winter "depression" and there are therapies for that. Lots more light is one, even if it is indoors. I am not convinced even my parents who spend winter and more in Fla would survive even our milder winters now.

So my prescription is:
- a beat the blahs party (tho Jan is early - could you just be fed up with all this weird weather and having a bad week?)
- buy yourself something you really want or go out to eat or visit a museum or see a concert that you've been wanting to do for a long time. The Rankin Family (Celtic group from NS) was in Vancouver a week ago - their concert would get your toes tapping, lol I think they are still on the west coast somewhere. John Morris Rankin died, if you know of them - but his daughter Molly is playing the fiddle and has written a couple of songs, one of which is on the new CD.
- Do something unexpected, I don't know what - something that is FUN!
- Take a day off and just read or do what you like to do. I like to read o sometimes, I like to curl up and forget about the winter weather and loose myself in escape fiction)
- Take a vacation south. My cousin - who lives in Port Angeles, Wa which you likely have heard of if you live out there - a place not all that accessible imho - has a condo in Calif and she goes there when it is too cold. This yr, she went early, lol (Granted, she is a retired teacher and can take off when she wants). Still, one can still take a vacation!

Shamrock
January 19th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Those are some great and sound suggestions you've offered - thanks so much.:highfive:

I need to get more actively involved in doing things that get those endorphins flowing better.
I've been kind of blaming the harsh winter this year for what I "cant' do..should be focusing on what I CAN do.. or what I can do instead...

My one hour brisk daily walk with the dog for example, has always been rain or shine. The last few months of wicked weather,..its slipped into 20 min - 3x a week.:shrug: He's a senior toy breed, and doesnt need much excercise.
But "I' need it.:D It's not nice out.. but its not Alaska either..

Gonna start back on that routine for openers.

And movies, shopping, outings with friends..all good indoor recreation that lifts the spirits.

More fun, more light, try some green tea. More physical activity to renew me.. and maybe even drop the weight.
Being pasty-looking is bad enough. Pasty AND pudgy.. that's just too depressing.;)

So, I definitely will be trying some of your reccomendations - thanks again.

CK, I'm not really a fan of Celtic music... but yes, I like the Rankin family very much!:thumbs up

Dracko
January 19th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Funny, I am the complete opposite. My spirits usually rise in the winter. I love the darkness. At night when the sun goes down it is very peaceful to me. It never affects me when the days are shorter.

The only thing that brings me down is humidity. I've been to BC for meetings and if it is raining and humid, I feel like my skin is crawling and I want to curl up and hide. It makes me bitchy and retain water. Fortunately I live on the Prairie where we have hot, dry weather. Only one summer can I recall us having so much rain that it was humid. It was horrible, horrible, horrible so I think I can understand the down feeling people experience during the months with less sun.

Lukka'sma
January 19th, 2007, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=Dracko;355062] My spirits usually rise in the winter.

Well put. I agree completely. Love the winter and the snow and the lack of 100Farenheight with 70% humidity. The summer is far too hot and sticky for me.
Nothing bleak about the winter to me.

Rick C
January 19th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Canadians generally love winter . . . . right up until the second week in January. Then the novelty wears off and we're still looking at early May for the first leaves on the trees.

My favourite thing to do is to keep getting outside, no matter the weather. Cooping yourself up in a fetal ball inside for months on end probably isn't a good idea.

Keeper and Abby at Bear Pond in the Whaleback area of southern Alberta last January . . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/08200089_edited-1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Frenchy
January 19th, 2007, 12:24 PM
What's your antidote for the bleak January when spirits sag?

Alcohol :laughing:

Maya
January 19th, 2007, 01:59 PM
And sexy parties.?:)