Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

SPCA Monteregie

coppperbelle
January 18th, 2007, 06:14 PM
The SPCA Monteregie was contacted by someone who heard dogs crying in a barn on the south shore. They investigated and found what was a puppy mill. Hopefully they will be able to find the person (I use that term loosely:evil: ) who is responsible for this mill and put him/her/them away. The animals were starving and as far as they can see no one had been to check on them in the last five days. One dog on the news was eating snow like it was filet mignon.

cpietra16
January 18th, 2007, 06:18 PM
OMG...poor baby, he must have been so thirsty...:sad: I hope what goes around comes around. This person should be hung by their **LLS

Golden Girls
January 18th, 2007, 06:20 PM
omg. That is so awful.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2007/01/18/mtl-dogs.html
Dogs taken from suspected South Shore puppy mill

Thirty-five dogs were taken from a cold, dark barn on Montreal's South Shore on Thursday, a location officials allege is a puppy mill.

Police and SPCA officials say they found the dogs unattended in stalls in the horse barn in the town of St-Mathieu after neighbours phoned in with tips.

The dogs, mostly Great Danes and Dobermans, were found with no water and little food, officials said.

"The barn is not heated and they're in the dark 24 hours a day, these dogs," Linda Robertson, a spokeswoman for the SPCA, told CBC News.

"These are mostly dogs that cannot live without heat."

Police said they have located the owner of the barn, but they are still looking for the tenant who rented it. The tenant is believed to be responsible for the dogs.

Robertson said the dogs rescued were mostly adults. Some had recently given birth, but the puppies were not at the barn, she said.

The dogs are now in the care of the Montérégie SPCA, which is looking for foster families.

Frenchy
January 18th, 2007, 06:36 PM
So it is true, my mom told me about it because it's about 10 minutes from where I live. :sad: SPCA are looking for fosters ? hummmm.....

coppperbelle
January 18th, 2007, 07:12 PM
So it is true, my mom told me about it because it's about 10 minutes from where I live. :sad: SPCA are looking for fosters ? hummmm.....

I e-mailed Poodletalk and offered our services if there are any goldens. I saw what I think may be one on the news. Most of the dogs seem to be Great Danes, Dobermans and I did see one very thirsty Sheepdog. I also saw what I think may be a golden.

Frenchy
January 18th, 2007, 07:17 PM
I think Poodletalk will be busy with all her e-mails because I did too. I'm willing to foster any breed.

poodletalk
January 18th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Thank-you for all your private messages, they are greatly appreciated.

I tried to come home early to see the news and I missed it! I am going to try to stay awake till 11:00 pm to see it.

coppperbelle
January 18th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Actually I could foster another breed also. This is an emergency situation and these dogs need lots of TLC.

Frenchy
January 18th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Thank-you for all your private messages, they are greatly appreciated.

I tried to come home early to see the news and I missed it! I am going to try to stay awake till 11:00 pm to see it.

Keep me posted if you need me, I could foster one. Like I said, any breed.

poodletalk
January 18th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I am typing my private messages in a minute....both of you should be getting an email soon...

Frenchy
January 18th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Actually I could foster another breed also. This is an emergency situation and these dogs need lots of TLC.

:grouphug: If we both get one , I could pick them both and we could meet somewhere. No point of both of us driving there ?

Prin
January 18th, 2007, 07:38 PM
What a sad story! I guess they'll get their happy ending though. :fingerscr :fingerscr

coppperbelle
January 18th, 2007, 07:48 PM
:grouphug: If we both get one , I could pick them both and we could meet somewhere. No point of both of us driving there ?

I finish work early tomorrow (11:00).

Frenchy
January 18th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I finish work early tomorrow (11:00).

I finish at 5h. I will call first thing tomorrow morning, I hope they let us take fosters tomorrow :fingerscr

Boubou
January 18th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Susie and I were there today. You know, you hear about these things but you can't believe it's true. You think humans cannot possible be that cruel. But you know what, they are!!!! These dogs were standing in horse box stalls with about 3 inches of urine and feces under their paws. They did have a bucket of food; dirty, rotten kibble, but no water!?! And no bedding either. There was one box stall with some hay and a heater close by. This must have been the whelping box. There was a great dane in there that had given birth not long ago, but there were no puppies to be found. Linda had been 'staking' out the place for a few weeks and the owner of the dogs only went once a week!

We have placed two beautiful great danes in a foster home together. They are wonderful and so happy to be sleeping on a futon tonight! I can't imagine how great it must feel on their raw, oozing paws burnt from the crap they'd been standing in.

There were also about 7 huskies tied in the back of the barn, they are very sociable and look like perfect family dogs. Also, some border collies, an english sheepdog, two beagles, a pomeranian, a doberman (the cutest thing, she curled up on a blanket on the front seat of someones warm minivan the moment they put her in it! Oh, and she's sooo skinny!), and about 4 more great danes. Oh yeah, and six bunnies, all up for adoption!! (we found an axe, hammer and long nails next to their enclosure)......

We will certainly need foster homes til we could put them up for adoption.

technodoll
January 18th, 2007, 10:39 PM
i just saw this on the news, i could hardly believe my eyes :sad: how many other places like this exist? i know of one... puppymiller with abused dogs... how can i report it, who do i speak to who would go investigate? :yell: and yet the gov'ment is spending how many hours and how many dollars debating if Parc Avenue should be renamed or not?! when they could be putting viable and enforceable Animal Protection laws in place instead? it's a total disgrace.

i'M soooo happy those poor dogs got out of that hell... but watch the owner get a slap on the wrist, turn around and do it again :mad:

Frenchy
January 18th, 2007, 10:41 PM
We will certainly need foster homes til we could put them up for adoption.

Me and Copperbelle already gave our names and I just saw it on the news:sad: I hope we can help them soon.

fosterpat
January 19th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Are there really pregnant dogs in this group and if so, what breed of dog?

Golden Girls
January 19th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I'm so happy to hear these seized animals have been saved from their hell.

Hats off to Linda Robertson, her staff and all the volunteers who dedicated their love of animals :angel:

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/index.html

Anonymous tip leads SPCA to 'hellhole'

SIDHARTHA BANERJEE, The Gazette

Published: Friday, January 19, 2007

ST. MATHIEU - Imagine for an instant that 24 hours a day, every day, you live in darkness in a cold, dank building where you spend your time trying to stay warm.

You're constantly without food or water. If you get thirsty, you are forced to lick the condensation off a window. And you can't lie down without sleeping in your own filth or that of your neighbours.

Until yesterday, that was the best most of the 32 dogs in a small puppy mill in this town, 20 kilometres south of Montreal, could hope for.

But the dogs' fortunes are looking much better after animal-rights workers found them yesterday.

As is usually the case, the puppies were already gone, probably sold to pet stores across Quebec; only mature dogs used for breeding were still in the barn.

Workers from the Monteregie SPCA battled the bitter cold and tried to calm the frayed nerves of the frightened canines. The dogs spent last night in foster homes or at the Monteregie SPCA's shelter in Ste. Angele de Monnoir.

"There was no one here, and the situation was the same (every day) - overturned buckets, no water, dogs jumping up at the windows, no visible sign of food at the time," said Linda Robertson of the Monteregie SPCA, who went to the mill every day for a week, monitoring the dogs' situation and hoping to find the owner.

The SPCA investigated for a week before a judge signed off on a warrant to seize the dogs.

"One of the huskies had food, but it was rotten and he wasn't eating it," Robertson said.

Three of the dogs had recently given birth, but their puppies were gone. Two other dogs were pregnant and scared.

Seven huskies were found behind the barn, tied to barrels. Tossed in with them were rabbits, also rescued yesterday; they might have served as food for their penmates.

The barn once housed Les Aventuriers Ranch, a riding stable. But indications are the horse barn had not been used for its purpose in some time. The puppy mill might have been in existence for as long as two years.

"There was a Great Dane bleeding from the eye," Robertson said. "They were all living in squalor. The excrement hasn't been picked up - in weeks, I imagine."

Almost all the animals had some sort of sickness.

"It's horrific to go inside there," said Debra Rossetti, a volunteer helping out yesterday.

"It's heartbreaking and it's maddening, because you wonder how this could be allowed to go on. It's a hellhole. These dogs are just used for reproduction. The puppies are sold to pet stores, and people buy them not knowing where they come from."

Yesterday's rescue started with an anonymous tip to the Roussillon intermunicipal police.

Detectives were able to find the owner of the building, a woman who had rented it to someone else, Constable Guy Lepine said.

Police were trying to track down the tenant, who could face criminal charges.

"It's the first time we've seen anything like this here," Lepine said.

Critics say the puppy mill industry is rampant in Quebec, partly because the agency that has the power to inspect such places doesn't have adequate staffing or funding to do so.

"These (mills) are everywhere," Robertson said. "We always come back to the same issue: There's no compulsory registration of these breeders."

As for where the dogs come from, Robertson said the answer won't be easy to determine.

"I'd like to see their register. To date, we don't know (where they are from), and most of these outfits don't keep registers."

Robertson said workers are trying to find foster homes for some of the dogs. The animals will be cared for until a judge makes a decision in any related trial.

To help the Monteregie SPCA, call 450-460-3075.

sbanerjee@thegazette.canwest.com

Animal Rescue: For more pictures of the scene at the St. Mathieu barn, where 32 dogs were rescued, view our online photo gallery.

montrealgazette.com

Rottielover
January 19th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Prin, what I got from this was that Linda will get there ASAP, while Barnoti sits on his butt asking for donations. Linda was able to get the ball moving quick to save these poor creatures.
I do not think anything there to put her or the Spca monteregie down in anyway.
Could be wrong, but that is what I got

poodletalk
January 19th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Guys: please do not fight on this thread, I really don't want the mods to lock it. This is the moment for the SPCA Monteregie to shine and show all the good work that they do.

Prin
January 19th, 2007, 10:51 AM
I agree. We should get this thread back on topic

The Gazette has a photo gallery on their site now:
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=e7d1e2f0-6b6f-45a4-bcde-1919ae268891&k=92601

Frenchy
January 19th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Poodletalk the voice box at Monteregie is full

:yell: I've been trtying to contact them. I know Coppperbelle left our names but I can't reach her and I don't know if Linda from spca has phone numbers to reach me. Poodletalk, did you give Linda my phone number ? She would need the one at work because I'm here until 5h00. But then again, I guess the dogs are not quite ready to go into fosters home today? Also, I read in La Presse that they were goldens and gsd too ? But like I said, I'll take any breed, maybe 2 if a small breed.

Frenchy
January 19th, 2007, 11:06 AM
The Gazette has a photo gallery on their site now:
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=e7d1e2f0-6b6f-45a4-bcde-1919ae268891&k=92601

OMG I want to take them all. :sad:

Prin
January 19th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Two people have turned themselves in, in connection with a puppy mill operation on the south shore.
32 dogs were found in a barn in St. Phillippe and the SPCA seized them on Thursday.
The dogs had spent days without food or water.
The animals spent Thursday night in foster homes or at the local SPCA shelter. But on the news, they said the two people were just landlords and not the actual millers.:shrug:

Frenchy
January 19th, 2007, 11:11 AM
But on the news, they said the two people were just landlords and not the actual millers.:shrug:

Yes and some media say St-Philippe but it's really in St-Mathieu. Doesn't really make a difference anyway but I hate it when they don't know what they're talking about.

Pike
January 19th, 2007, 11:18 AM
This thread has been edited for rude behaviour, which will not be tolerated. Please keep it civil or it will be locked.

Golden Girls
January 19th, 2007, 11:20 AM
GG: There is no other phone number for the shelter.it's ok, I'll keep searching for Linda's cell. It's quite understandable how busy they are today or should I say busier

Frenchy
January 19th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Frenchy: I don't have your phone number, maybe Copperbelle gave them your work number. I don't really know, Sorry!!!

GG: There is no other phone number for the shelter.

I pm you my contacts.

coppperbelle
January 19th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Frenchy
I gave them your home number. I also left my home number and cell number but no one has called and someone has been here all day.

I just saw the news and Linda R. is being interviewed. It appears that the dogs are being examined by a vet this morning and many have things that are wrong with them. I guess they are just trying to get that organized before placing the dogs in foster homes.
Many of the dogs have problems. One has mange and can't stop shaking. I guess he is so cold. Last night he was shaking so bad even when covered with two blankets. Hearing that just brings tears to my eyes. I can't believe someone could be so cruel. It turns out that two people (a man and a woman) turned themselves into police today. They own another "kennel" (I use that term loosely) in St-Catherine.

This is so disturbing yet is happening all over this province.

This morning I had a discussion with a co-worker about pet shop puppies and how they come from puppy mills. She said no that once her dog had pups and they couldn't find a home for the last one and brought it to the pet shop for them to sell. :yell: So not all puppies in the pet shop come from puppy mills, some come from Back Yard Breeders too.

Frenchy
January 19th, 2007, 11:31 AM
They own another "kennel" (I use that term loosely) in St-Catherine.

I hope they seize the dogs there too.

phoenix
January 19th, 2007, 12:33 PM
oh i should not have looked at those pictures. You guys are :angel: thank you for your work on behalf of all of those poor dogs.

Golden Girls
January 19th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Frenchy check your pm, I've given you a contact # - homes are still needed for a few Great Danes.

Frenchy
January 19th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Frenchy check your pm, I've given you a contact # - homes are still needed for a few Great Danes.

I didn't get it :yell: maybe if I wait a couple minutes ? :fingerscr

Golden Girls
January 19th, 2007, 03:23 PM
sorry Frenchy, my box was full. It's ok now. Please use the 2nd # only. thanks

Frenchy
January 19th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Got it ! :thumbs up

Frenchy
January 19th, 2007, 04:00 PM
It's ok , I already spoke to Debra, will get more details later tonight , she has to call me back , but I am picking up either a Great Dane or a doberman tomorrow. :thumbs up

Golden Girls
January 19th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Way to go :thumbs up :grouphug:

Hunter's_owner
January 19th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Excellent Frenchy. Can't wait to see some pics:highfive:

Frenchy
January 19th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Nobody called me back :shrug:

Prin
January 19th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Umm.. Maybe a dumb question, but is there any risk for your dogs? I mean, on the news they said they were full of parasites..:o

Frenchy
January 19th, 2007, 08:55 PM
I don't think they are letting the sick dogs go into foster care. The woman I talked to already knows I own 2 dogs and foster one . I was suppose to get more details tonight. Maybe they'll call tomorrow ?

TeriM
January 19th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I'm sure they are really overwhelmed right now and will probably call you tomorrow. Can't wait to see some pics of the new foster.

Boubou
January 19th, 2007, 10:17 PM
The response we have gotten from the public is overwhelming. When I last talked to the two volunteers who are taking the calls at 4:30 this afternoon, they stil had over 200 messages to get back to. They have been working on the phones all day(the phone stopped ringing yesterday at 2:00 am and started again at 5:00 am!) - they average one phone call every two minutes!!
I hope nobody gets discouraged and gives up on their idea of fostering. Linda wants to make sure all the dogs are properly checked over by Dr. Leger (the shelter vet) before they are place in foster homes.

I just came back from a little visit with two of the great danes we placed in a foster home (they went right from the barn to a foster home - they are in good shape).........OMG! They are amazing! Not only are they sweet, cuddly and gorgeous, they are perfectly trained!?! These dogs have definitely lived in homes before which makes you wonder where these idiots got these dogs....

Boubou
January 19th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Here's a picture of Jersey - he's a male, we think around 2 or 3.....

Boubou
January 19th, 2007, 10:34 PM
And here is Zena (and Jersey) - she's about 5 years old and is the sweetest thing!

susieqt
January 19th, 2007, 11:16 PM
What cuties they are! It is amazing that they are so healthy and still have faith in humans after all they went through. I am sure they will make some family very happy.:thumbs up

Peepmouse
January 19th, 2007, 11:22 PM
They are just gorgeous!:lovestruck:
I hope all the dogs will be well enough to find forever homes...:fingerscr :pray:

Frenchy
January 20th, 2007, 03:28 AM
boubou or Suzyqt, could you pm me your friend's name so I could maybe ask Debra if I could take one of them to help your friend ?

chico2
January 20th, 2007, 07:30 AM
OMG,these beautiful dogs:sad:
Once again I am proud to be a member of a Forum,where sooo many people are every day heroes,you get me all teary-eyed,a great big hug to everyone involved helping these poor animals:grouphug:
As for the monsters responsible,words cannot describe how I feel:yell:
Maybe the government should put a stop to sale of puppies/kittens in Pet-Shops,a start to an end of this lucrative horrible business,but then there is the Internet,ads in the paper..etc,etc...a never ending sad story:yell:
With the public outpouring I hope and pray,everyone of these poor dogs will be healthy enough to go to loving homes:fingerscr :dog:

Frenchy
January 20th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Got a call earlier this morning and I can pick up one of the Great Danes at 3 this afternoon ! :thumbs up Linda, I told them you may be at your cottage and she told me you could go there Monday. Debra called me at 8h30 am, I don't know if these guys got any sleep since Thursday. I never say soo much media coverage so :fingerscr , I think more people will be aware from now on.

Frenchy
January 20th, 2007, 07:53 AM
And here is Zena (and Jersey) - she's about 5 years old and is the sweetest thing!
OMG they're adorable, I'm sorry I won't be able to help with these ones, I didn't have your friend's name when I got the call this morning. But I'm sure spca have other fosters waiting to help with these beautiful dogs.

K9Friend
January 20th, 2007, 08:07 AM
1st video clip on link below is a French interview with puppy mill owner :eek: She's basically saying that yes she was a little bit negligent (ya think!), went to feed and give water to the dogs every 2nd day (!), admits some of the pens were not clean, loves her dogs, has been in business for over 3 years, and is a single parent with kids and doesn't always have time to take care of her dogs! :yuck:

2nd video clip on link below shows Linda R at the Monteregie SPCA describing some of the dog's health problems..:sad:

http://lcn.canoe.com/lcn/infos/faitsdivers/archives/2007/01/20070119-161200.html

Frenchy
January 20th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Did Copperbelle get a dog?

I think she has left for her cottage but Debra told me she could get one next Monday. It seems the media will be there today again. I've never seen so much media coverage for this in Quebec and it's about time. I think this time might allow things to change around here , finally ! :pray:

Golden Girls
January 20th, 2007, 08:38 AM
I've never seen so much media coverage for this in Quebec and it's about time. I think this time might allow things to change around here , finally ! :pray:It's amazing, and it's about time

Rottielover
January 20th, 2007, 08:50 AM
I wish I had the funds, I am allowed to help. It would have been perfect because I come home at lunch....why oh why can't money grow on trees.

BLB
January 20th, 2007, 09:52 AM
I would like to know if the Ontario SPCA is investigating their so called kennel in St. Catherines. I wonder how this women would feel out in the cold,dark, s that she left these dogs in especially after seeing the video and she looked warm and cozy and obviously not wanting to show her face. The money is everything not the well-being of the animals and the government needs to here this. The prime-minister fosters animals we need to start letter writing campaign to change the laws now. Thank God for all the angels out there that can and do help :grouphug: to you all

Frenchy
January 20th, 2007, 12:00 PM
I would like to know if the Ontario SPCA is investigating their so called kennel in St. Catherines.

It's in St-Catherine Quebec, not the one in Ontario.

Golden Girls
January 20th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Got a call earlier this morning and I can pick up one of the Great Danes at 3 this afternoon ! It's 3h05 how'd it go? lol :fingerscr

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 03:13 PM
:fingerscr Any news?

Frenchy
January 20th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I just got back...empty handed. :sad: The dogs are not ready to leave in foster care just yet. It will be later this week. They are still getting checked out by vets. I had the chance to meet Linda and talk with her for about 1/2 hour. She is so freakin nice , she is so passionate, people were hugging her and thanking her ! I got to see a couple of the dogs. The beige Great Dane female,just had a litter (extremely skinny) the sShaggy dog with the wound around his neck (he kept coming back to me for some petting!) there was this cute little Beagle (probably pregnant) and a smaller one ; Beagle x Basset (sooooo cute) who barked like the biggest dogs. I pleaded with her to let me leave with one....anyone ! But there not ready. And it's better that way because she will test the dogs with cats this week,so I will get one who they know won't eat Monsieur le chat ! I am very disapointed,I was looking forward to have one today. Oh well, I just have to wait a few days. :shrug:

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 03:48 PM
:grouphug: You'll get one, Frenchy. IMO it's better this way in case they have anything that might risk your pack. :o :grouphug:

The more I hear about them the more I want to ask the man... But we already said no to one dane last week..:o

Frenchy
January 20th, 2007, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=Prin;355792The more I hear about them the more I want to ask the man... But we already said no to one dane last week..:o[/QUOTE]

If you ask him for a smaller dog maybe he'll say yes ? I didn't ask how many Beagles they had, I know Debra drove some dogs to a rescue around Cornwall, but I did see one (maybe pregnant tough) + the beagle x basset :cloud9: If not I will post more pictures just for ya !

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 03:53 PM
no, it's not the size...
Just after Lily, my man needs a break from housetraining... :o

chico2
January 20th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I saw the video,but of course it's in french:sad: ....is she pulling the'I'm a single mom'excuse?(that much I understood,maybe:confused: ),for torturing these poor dogs in a freezing barn??
I am glad to see the media involved heavily,too bad it's not reaching the Ontario media,this kind of horror just has to stop.
Please keep us informed about the dogs future and any charges laid :fingerscr
To all of you planning on fostering,good luck and thank you very much:dog:

chico2
January 20th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Frenchy,better safe than sorry,at least they are now warm and beeing fed:thumbs up
Is Barnoti involved at all??I hope not..

Frenchy
January 20th, 2007, 04:08 PM
I saw the video,but of course it's in french:sad: ....is she pulling the'I'm a single mom'excuse?(that much I understood,maybe:confused:

I saw it on the news and I would have kicked her,she sounded sooo freakin stupid ! Just before I went over there, I stopped at the animal store near my place (to buy treats and toys for big dogs! ) and the owner was talking with this woman about Danes and what happened this week since it's in the area (she,the customer,owns a Dane) and he pointed to me and said ; she's with a rescue. I told him I was going to get one as a foster. The customer seemed to know the lady a bit, she said the lady was breeding brothers and sisters and didn't care at all, she wasn't professional one bit. She even ask a man to breed one of her female dane with his stud,no papers nothing. The man refused ! :thumbs up I gave the spca phone number to the lady customer, she was very interested about fostering and might get other people too.

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Hopefully all this attention will get other buggers from Monteregie adopted too. :goodvibes: :fingerscr

K9Friend
January 20th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Frenchy: I read on the lapresse.ca website that there were German Shepherds too in the barn. Did you see any today at the SPCA?

Frenchy
January 20th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Frenchy: I read on the lapresse.ca website that there were German Shepherds too in the barn. Did you see any today at the SPCA?
No, I didn't see any GSD. But then again I didn't go where the rest of them were. Linda said the most accurate story was in Le Journal de Montréal.

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 04:19 PM
1st video clip on link below is a French interview with puppy mill owner :eek: She's basically saying that yes she was a little bit negligent (ya think!), went to feed and give water to the dogs every 2nd day (!), admits some of the pens were not clean, loves her dogs, has been in business for over 3 years, and is a single parent with kids and doesn't always have time to take care of her dogs! :yuck:
http://lcn.canoe.com/lcn/infos/faitsdivers/archives/2007/01/20070119-161200.html
Does she also say she has pregnant dogs at her house? Or did I hear that wrong?

Frenchy
January 20th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Does she also say she has pregnant dogs at her house? Or did I hear that wrong?

The lady at the store told me yes,it seems she does have some dogs at her house. :mad:

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Sorry, I didn't get to watch it before so now, I'm getting mad all over again. :frustrated: She says "Je ne me cache pas," (I'm not hiding) but she's got her back turned. :rolleyes: "I do this because I love dogs, but I also want it to put bread on the table"... :mad:

:fingerscr she doesn't get them back. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr Come on Mr/Ms Judge, please don't give them back.:fingerscr

chico2
January 20th, 2007, 04:31 PM
She probably sees any potential buyers at her house,buyers who are not aware of the evil things going on at the barn.
I am hoping the SPCA M is also taking the dogs at the house:fingerscr
She fed the dogs every second day:confused: OMG!!
I think the reason for not showing her face,is because of her kids or maybe she gets help from the government and does not want them to find out:pawprint:

K9Friend
January 20th, 2007, 04:32 PM
What kills me is her statement - "yes, I have been a little bit negligent with the dogs, I can only clean up to 3 pens per day (don't forget she claims to visit the dogs only every other day) - have to be home around 4 PM for my kids (has one child handicapped) and has dogs at home with pups!!! :sad: :yell:

Frenchy
January 20th, 2007, 04:32 PM
:fingerscr she doesn't get them back. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr Come on Mr/Ms Judge, please don't give them back.:fingerscr

That's why they are keeping them longer, fully vet check. To build a stronger case :thumbs up :fingerscr IF she ever gets them back, you can bet she will be watch by many many people. Good thing she didn't show her face. I know where she lives (not the adress but still)

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find that barn if you drove around, you know?

Frenchy
January 20th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find that barn if you drove around, you know?

She lives about 30-40 minutes from the barn where they seized the dogs.:mad:

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Just unbelievable. I hope her daughter learns that this is unacceptable, instead of believing her mom that everything about the negligence is lies. :sad: :mad:

The "gagne pain" remark really got under my skin. :mad: :yell:

Frenchy
January 20th, 2007, 04:41 PM
The "gagne pain" remark really got under my skin. :mad: :yell:

Makes you want to scream ; GO GET A REAL JOB !

coppperbelle
January 20th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I am at my cottage with very slow internet service. Frency, please get me the contact information so that I can make arrangements with someone to pick up a dog on MOnday if necessary. I will also be home tomorrow afternoon so if someone is there in the late afternoon I could also pick up a dog then.

Frenchy
January 20th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I am at my cottage with very slow internet service.

Welcome to my world :D (minus the cottage :sad: ) check your pm.

rainbow
January 20th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I just read this now with tears rolling down my face. :sad: I so wish I could help. Thank you Frenchy and Coppperbelle for offering your services. :angel: :grouphug:

Happy pups
January 20th, 2007, 10:02 PM
How very sad this is. Did they find out what happened to the pups that were missing. It sounded as if the pups should still be with mom but had been removed.

t.pettet
January 21st, 2007, 12:08 AM
Isn't it curious that this woman claims not to have enough $$$ to care for the dogs properly but she has some very expensive breeds in her care (love to know where and how she acquired them). The pups from the females in the barns are probably at her house and have been sold already! Nice!

Prin
January 21st, 2007, 12:30 AM
Oh, I know eh? If you care for a dane properly, it's not likely you'll ever make money off it.

Poor guys. :sad:

chico2
January 21st, 2007, 06:52 AM
I was also curious where she got all these expensive dogs from:evil:
The thought never occured to me,that she might get these dogs back,if so,I'll totally lose my faith in humanity..
Also,is she a registered breeder,as a business???
Which should include paying taxes..
Is there an English article for me to read:confused:

Frenchy
January 21st, 2007, 07:49 AM
I was also curious where she got all these expensive dogs from:evil:

If you want to find it in english on could look at The Gazette, as for getting purebreds ; easy , on kijiji ; free to good homes . Or she could have adopted them from SPCA Montreal or Laval. You can get a purebred for $190 and they will not follow up to see if you had them neuter of spay. She was inbreeded them so all she needed was a male and a female from each breed to start. After that she didn't care who was breeding with who.:mad:

BLB
January 21st, 2007, 09:09 AM
Thank you for the that it's not StC in Ontario. I would like to know if there are any pictures of this womens face. It needs to be printed in the papers they print other horrible pictures. She should be seen I'm sorry but there is no excuse for this horror. I wonder what her children live in maybe Childhood services should be investigating that. The judges I pray will not allow these dogs back with this women Breeder my . I give all of you that are helping group hugs just wish they would foster to Ont

Frenchy
January 21st, 2007, 09:22 AM
I would like to know if there are any pictures of this womens face.

The way justice works is that criminals have more rights than us. Her face would only be showed IF she is find guilty , than again, she will do everything to hide her face. If you would like to foster, I'm sure you could find a rescue who needs you in Ontario. They won't be the dogs were talking about today but some rescues get dogs out of pounds/shelters when they are up for euthanasia so it's a great way to save a life. If they are no fosters for these rescues,they can't help any dogs.

t.pettet
January 21st, 2007, 08:05 PM
Wouldn't it be super if any of these dogs had been reported stolen and could be identified by their prev. owners with micro-chip or tottoo? There is such a rash of stolen dogs in Ont. & Que. that I think she and her accomplise should be interrogated and the investigation handled by the harshest, most interrogative possible criminal investigators. Were any of these dogs to be found stolen from Ont. or another province then this would become a federal issue. If this is the case then this is just the tip of the iceburg and she is involved in a large scale theft ring and knows all kinds of pertinent info. that would assist in shutting these operations down and maybe retrieving some stolen pets or atleast providing closure to grieving owners. Is there a petition circulating concerning this case? If this scumbags were prosecuted to the fullest extent and be made an example of, it would put a dent in animal cruelty and assist in the passing of Canada's cruelty bill.

Prin
January 21st, 2007, 08:07 PM
Good point, eh? I hope they're getting scanned for microchips...

coppperbelle
January 21st, 2007, 08:09 PM
Does anyone have the links to the interview with this woman in either of the French newspapers if they exist? I looked and all I could find were the articles on the raid itself. I want to read her sob story.

Prin
January 21st, 2007, 08:18 PM
K9Friend posted the video of them in here on page 2 I think...

Frenchy
January 21st, 2007, 08:23 PM
I want to read her sob story.

You might want to get yourself a drink or a valium first.

K9Friend
January 22nd, 2007, 04:36 AM
The owner of this puppy mill most probably will get a slap on the wrist and pay fines of $400-500...sad, isn't it??

Does anyone know what happened to the owner that had those terriers in such bad shape in Blainville over a year ago? I know he went to court in April 2006. Again, we NEVER hear the outcome to these trials. :sad:

coppperbelle
January 22nd, 2007, 05:35 AM
The owner of this puppy mill most probably will get a slap on the wrist and pay fines of $400-500...sad, isn't it??

Does anyone know what happened to the owner that had those terriers in such bad shape in Blainville over a year ago? I know he went to court in April 2006. Again, we NEVER hear the outcome to these trials. :sad:

He got a slap on the wrist. It was on the news. I think he surrendered all of his dogs. If not all, most of them anyways.

coppperbelle
January 22nd, 2007, 05:57 AM
You might want to get yourself a drink or a valium first.

I just listened to the interviews. There ain't enough valium in this world. Don't we all feel so sorry for her? :mad:

What frigtens me is that she talks well. All she needs is a sympathetic judge and she gets these poor dogs back. Hopefully the judge will be a woman.

chico2
January 22nd, 2007, 07:36 AM
I found the English version in the Montreal Gazette,but it too only talks about the initial raid.
However,from your comments I think I get what this "mom"is all about:evil:
The stolen dogs theory is good,I hope they look in to that:fingerscr
We get furious and disgusted by every puppy-mill raided at least once a year,but still it continues,over and over again:yell:
The money this woman and others make,over a couple of years of torturing dogs,is well worth the risk of having to pay a $500 fine and by the time it goes to court,most people will have forgotten....:sad:
Still,I am very happy these dogs are safe,hopefully from now on:fingerscr and we will not forget.

coppperbelle
January 22nd, 2007, 07:56 AM
For those who do not understand French, she basically is saying she is a victim here. Yes, she is negligent in cleaning out the stalls properly but the dogs had enough food and water for two days. She said she visited every second day to make sure. Oddly no one had been there in the 5 days before the raid.
The lady is also afraid of losing her children because of all this. She says the media is lying and that the dogs did have food and water and a heater. The dog with Demodex was being treated. I wonder how if she only went there every other day.:confused:
She is wearing a beautiful white coat in the interview, says she never hid from the police like is reported in the media, although I never heard that. She has been doing this for 3 years apparently. The dogs only had one litter per year etc... She had all the right answers.
She also said that dogs that had passed the age of breeding were euthanised becasue they were not use to living in homes although at one point I think she said the dogs lived with her in her home. These animals are no more than material objects to her even though she says they are her babies.
I wonder if she claimed all her income with Revenue Canada and Quebec. :D

chico2
January 22nd, 2007, 08:14 AM
Thank's CB!
If she has the "no use to her anymore"dogs euthanized,I am assuming a vet is also involved in killing puppy-mill dogs,or maybe she has someone else kill them:confused:
Maybe if SPCA dug up her rented property they would find plenty of evidence:evil:

Golden Girls
January 22nd, 2007, 08:42 AM
she basically is saying she is a victim here.
Yes, she is negligent in cleaning out the stalls properly but the dogs had enough food and water for two days. She said she visited every second day to make sure.
She says the media is lying and that the dogs did have food and water and a heater.
The dog with Demodex was being treated. I wonder how if she only went there every other day
She has been doing this for 3 years apparently. The dogs only had one litter per year

She also said that dogs that had passed the age of breeding were euthanised becasue they were not use to living in homes although at one point I think she said the dogs lived with her in her home.

I wonder if she claimed all her income with Revenue Canada and Quebec.
These are some questions that should be asked to the people who are responsible in protecting the laws in our country. CKitten that said it best in another post related to this topic. People change laws If there is no public outcry this case like all the other animals cases will just dissappear and it'll be back to business as usual.

Vet records, heating records, puppy mill registry, bill of sales can all be obtained by the authorities. How about her other :frustrated: breeding facility in St. Catherine (South Shore) Is anyone looking into those animals? Where are the puppies from the recent litters? Did she take them knowing they will die in the -30C barn and is weaning them herself - naturally she must protect her "profit", hell her kids will starve! Get a warrant to seize her house to vet check those puppies. Those are just few questions I had and I :fingerscr with the publics help, she doesn't just get them back :rolleyes:

Roussillon Intermunicipal Police (450)638-0911 police@policeroussillon.ca

Reporter Journal de Montreal: mbisaillon@journalmtl.com

Reporter TVA: pascale.dery@tva.ca < -- interviewed the suspect on tv

Mr. Louis McCann Executive Director (Pet Industry Joint Advisory Coucil) info@pijac.org PIJAC's Mission PIJAC, whose mission is to ensure the availability of companion animals to sustain the entire pet industry, focuses on education, information and governmental issues (in this case selling of puppies) involving pet stores, companion animal supply and restrictions or obstacles to pet ownership.

AnimaQuebec: Attn: Joan Clark: nicole.blouin@animaquebec.com Whose mission is: Neglected animals - zero tolerance http://www.animaquebec.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=6

She had all the right answers. < -- that she did not!

Golden Girls
January 22nd, 2007, 08:52 AM
I hope someone somewhere splatters her face all over the internet. Maybe innocent owners who have bought puppies from her and have a story to tell like how much it has cost them in vet bills, one can only hope :fingerscr

meb999
January 22nd, 2007, 10:32 AM
all of it makes me sick to my stomach...ALL OF IT :mad: :yell:

chico2
January 22nd, 2007, 03:48 PM
GG,this whole dirty business makes me so sad,sad for the dogs,never taken for a walk,never having slept on someones couch,never laid out in the sunshine,only to be killed after she/he is not producing:sad:
This monster might be well spoken,dress nicely etc...but I sincerely hope,everyone involved will make sure she is not getting those dogs back.
It would be the worst travesty:mad:
Is keeping dogs in pens,in filthy conditions,for the sole purpose of producing not against the law:confused:

I know on the OSPCA's website,they are asking that if we know of any such happenings to report it,is it not the same in Quebec??

Golden Girls
January 23rd, 2007, 08:11 AM
I know on the OSPCA's website,they are asking that if we know of any such happenings to report it,is it not the same in Quebec??It's sickening isn't it! Listening to this woman talk you'd almost think she really doesn't see anything wrong with all of this. Guess this is the "norm" - at least how it's always been. But according to our own Criminal Code it's an offence - enough is enough and people should have to respect the law but the people in power have to enforce it as well so their just as guilty IMO
Causing unnecessary suffering
446. (1) Every one commits an offence who
(a) wilfully causes or, being the owner, wilfully permits to be caused unnecessary pain, suffering or injury to an animal or a bird;
(b) by wilful neglect causes damage or injury to animals or birds while they are being driven or conveyed;
(c) being the owner or the person having the custody or control of a domestic animal or a bird or an animal or a bird wild by nature that is in captivity, abandons it in distress or wilfully neglects or fails to provide suitable and adequate food, water, shelter and care for it;

I wonder how these dogs are doing? Does anyone have an update? We know at least their now in good hands, let's pray they stay that way :pray:

Frenchy
January 23rd, 2007, 11:16 AM
I wonder how these dogs are doing? Does anyone have an update? We know at least their now in good hands, let's pray they stay that way :pray:

I was wondering the same thing. I don't want to call the spca because I know they are very busy and I'm suppose to wait for them to call me. Maybe Poodletalk has an update ?

Frenchy
January 23rd, 2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks Poodletalk, I'm so afraid the vets would find something bad (health wise) with the dogs and we wouldn't be able to foster them :sad: I can't wait to have one as a foster and to show him/her the comfort of a home,of a fluffy doggy bed,love from a human...:lovestruck:

Boubou
January 23rd, 2007, 06:31 PM
Dr. Leger (our shelter vet) is back tomorrow to check on the dogs, including Jersey and Zena who are doing great! Most of the dogs have checked positive for worms including hookworm, which is very serious - it can really do alot of damage and make a dog feel awful.

The huskies are having a hard time adjusting to being indoors and in an enclosure. Some of them have to be handfed, but apparently he was feeding them raw food (perhaps that was what the rabbits were for.....).

All the dogs are very sweet and have not shown any signs of aggression.

I'll have more news for you tomorrow evening about the dogs condition once the vet has seen them. I also suspect some of them will be leaving for their foster homes after a thorough vet check - don't worry Frenchy, you'll have your foster soon enough!!! :thumbs up

Frenchy
January 23rd, 2007, 07:23 PM
Thank you so much Boubou ! Those poor huskies :sad:

chico2
January 24th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Thank's for the update,hopefully they'll all check out ok!
I know it's said Huskys love to live outside,but feeding them live bunnies(probably former pets!)seems just as cruel as anything I've heard about this woman yet:evil:
Since cruelty to animals does not seem to carry any weight,or importance to our judges,:fingerscr that she will also face other charges,not paying taxes etc..money always seems more important than animals in our country:sad:

Frenchy
January 24th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Since cruelty to animals does not seem to carry any weight,or importance to our judges,:fingerscr that she will also face other charges,not paying taxes etc..money always seems more important than animals in our country:sad:

That's what I was thinking too. I wonder if any charges of fraud could be place,also, by who ?

Golden Girls
January 24th, 2007, 04:22 PM
The huskies are having a hard time adjusting to being indoors and in an enclosure. Some of them have to be handfed, but apparently he was feeding them raw food (perhaps that was what the rabbits were for.....)omg tell me no way

Meb maybe you'd know this one :shrug: Criminally what could the word "wilful" mean ... in this case?

Golden Girls
January 24th, 2007, 04:28 PM
That's what I was thinking too. I wonder if any charges of fraud could be place,also, by who ?I guess if she sold puppies and wasn't a registered wannabe breeder she wouldn't be paying the taxes the gov't could have her on tax evasion :shrug: everyone has to declare their income

meb999
January 25th, 2007, 04:58 PM
omg tell me no way

Meb maybe you'd know this one :shrug: Criminally what could the word "wilful" mean ... in this case?

purposefully, not by accident, knew what she was doing, knew the consequences of her actions, knowingly.

If you hit someone with your car because you were inattentive and didn't see them coming, you're not willfull in your actions...but if you chase your boyfriend down with your car because you're pissed at him and you hit him on purpose, you're willfull in your actions.

Golden Girls
January 26th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Thank you Meb. I should of asked in this content :o
(a) wilfully causes or, being the owner, wilfully permits to be caused unnecessary pain, suffering or injury to an animal or a bird;I was speaking with Barnoti and he said this clause is what breaks or makes a case. I'm not just referring to this cruelty case but all of them and he said if this woman compared the way she makes a living to a farmer to the judge - it could very well be thrown out :confused: He asked me what I thought of how farmers raise and kill calves and then ask him again if I think these animals are worst off

So "wilfully" means if she feels this is not cruel ... it's not :confused:

Golden Girls
January 26th, 2007, 08:23 AM
He got a slap on the wrist. It was on the news. I think he surrendered all of his dogs. If not all, most of them anyways.Barnoti said he was in court with this case I believe last week or early this week. The next hearing is May 25. He explained and compared the Fox Terrier case with this one and said it's very very hard to convince judges to see dogs differently then farm animals.

Our laws need to be changed so badly!

chico2
January 26th, 2007, 09:42 AM
GG,but dogs are companion animals not part of the food-chain unlike cows and pigs,although they also suffer terribly:sad:
Dogs are not supposed to be kept in a stall,in a dark barn,half starved..and puppy-mills ARE illegal,or am I wrong???

Frenchy
January 26th, 2007, 11:11 AM

Even a judge can see that these animals are way too skinny, have hook worms, have open wounds on their body.....what's it going to take? :mad: I will defenetly keep some vacation days off to go to her trial. At least I will now her name and what she looks like.

meb999
January 26th, 2007, 01:43 PM

Well, that's why it makes or breaks a case. That's the difference between civil cases and criminal cases. In alot of criminal accusations (but not all), you have to have intent.

(a) wilfully causes or, being the owner, wilfully permits to be caused unnecessary pain, suffering or injury to an animal or a bird;

things are hardly ever black or white in a case like this....she MAY get off...a judge COULD consider that in her circunctances a reasonable person would have done the same thing....

We just have to hope that she gets an animla loving judge....

You have to remember, that law isn't justice...unfortunetly...childmolesters, rapists and murderers get off everyday....:sad:

Prin
January 26th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Well, she obviously did know she should have gone every day, right? I mean she said she didn't and then said she did, so obviously she knows it's wrong to have not gone every day... :fingerscr

Golden Girls
January 28th, 2007, 01:51 PM
GG,but dogs are companion animals not part of the food-chain unlike cows and pigs,although they also suffer terribly:sad:
Dogs are not supposed to be kept in a stall,in a dark barn,half starved..and puppy-mills ARE illegal,or am I wrong???Sadly, dogs are not considered pets to everyone Chico :sad: For some their food and fur and others their breeding machines < -- just like cows and pigs and they all suffer terribly.

Puppy mills are not illegal but if you can prove inadequate food/water/shelter (does not include heat) police may intervene :shrug: In this particular case I believe lack of footprints in the snow proved abandonment (+3 days) pretty sad to say the least. Now there's a chance of proving no vet care as well so :fingerscr and if these animals are really lucky and someone actually does their job:

Animal Pedigree Act:
Regulations 58. (1) The Minister may, by order, declare the corporate powers of any association to be terminated in any of the following circumstances: (a) where the association has failed to make by-laws in accordance with section 15 within one year after coming into existence;

Miscellaneous:
Prohibitions 64. No person shall (g) knowingly offer to sell, contract to sell or sell any animal in a manner that is likely to create an erroneous impression that the animal is registered or eligible to be registered;

Golden Girls
January 28th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Frency - r u still going to foster that GD or r they still being treated for hook worms and stuff and can't go right now? If that's the case do you know how their all doing :pray:

meb999
January 28th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Dogs are not supposed to be kept in a stall,in a dark barn,half starved..and puppy-mills ARE illegal,or am I wrong???

according to the Civil Code of Québec, dogs and cats are movable property...just like your tv, sofa, table, fridge. That's the problem here...the laws give NO rights to animals...

I truely hope she gets convicted of the criminal charges that have been laid against her, but I wouldn't be surprised if she gets off.

I hate criminal law -- you have to remember that the level of proof needed in a criminal case is much higher than in a civil case. If you have a contract with someone and they break it, then you have to go to civil court and prove by a balance of probabiblity that you're right (basicaly that there's more chances of you being right than being wrong) -- whereas criminal, you have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that she's guilty...it's a heavy burden of proof that's very hard to meet....

chico2
January 28th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Does anyone know,if she's been charged with anything yet??

GG,I believe we a have the same animal-cruelty laws in Ontario,dogs/cats are property,not living breathing,feeling creatures.
It's just incredible in a country like Canada,we still uphold a 100yr old law,very sad:sad:

Frenchy
January 28th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Frency - r u still going to foster that GD or r they still being treated for hook worms and stuff and can't go right now? If that's the case do you know how their all doing :pray:

I did ask someone from here who's a volunteer for them because I did not hear from anyone from the spca since I was there last week. Vets are checking up on the dogs everyday. Some of them (or all?) do have hook worms. 5 of them are ready to go into fostering. I guess I'm not part of that "batch". Maybe it's for the best. My foster Molly is almost adopted and may leave next week end for her new family. So it would be better if I get the Dane next week end. If only I could get the dane's measurement, a coworker is waiting for this to make him/her a winter doggy coat. As for the lady, I may be pessimist but the more I think about it, the more I think she will not be proven guilty. :mad:

Lil'RickyMom
January 31st, 2007, 11:45 AM
DOes anyone know if ****** is involved in this puppy mill at all? WHen I saw the news, it looked like the doings of this lady. She used to run (and I believe still is active somewhere) a "rescue" called *******, in **** or nearby. SHe has become a hoarder and is a Great Dane fanatic. She has been breeding Great Dane rescues with anything, just to make a buck (like there's a buck to be made in rescue!!).....

I busted in her place back on January 3, 2001 and saw horrible conditions. I along, with 3 other people, rescued 3 dogs from there that had been put in "quarantine" by a fellow rescuer, and what we saw was apalling.

Barnotti took this to court, and the lady got a slap on the wrist. She was told never to do this again, and I swear, upon watching the news, it screamed ****.....

If anyone has heard either the name of the landlord or the tenants, please let me know if this lady is involved. I swore to her I would make sure she never does this again, I rescued a Great Dane from her a few months ago through a third party, and Scooby was so thin it was pathetic.....

Thanks for any info

Frenchy
January 31st, 2007, 11:48 AM
You should call Linda Robertson at the spca, if this is the same woman,I'm sure Linda would be glad to hear, it could help with the trial?

Golden Girls
January 31st, 2007, 04:35 PM
I got my Brandi from her. I doubt she's involved but for sure that wasn't her.

Golden Girls
February 2nd, 2007, 06:32 PM
Does anyone know,if she's been charged with anything yet??

GG,I believe we a have the same animal-cruelty laws in Ontario,dogs/cats are property,not living breathing,feeling creatures.
It's just incredible in a country like Canada,we still uphold a 100yr old law,very sad:sad:The last I read was they may charge the pair with animal cruelty, they were investigating. I e-mailed the detective in charge of this case but I wasn't expecting a reply.
I wonder how the people of Ontario were able to get a law passed against puppy mills, anyone know?

Golden Girls
February 2nd, 2007, 07:26 PM
Never mind dumb question

chico2
February 3rd, 2007, 05:45 AM
GG,I really don't know if we have a law against puppy-mills or not,probably no different from Quebec:frustrated: ,but since we are asked by the OSPCA to report any such goings on,I just assumed we have a law protecting these unfortunate dogs.
Often these puppy-millers when raided and recieving a slap on the wrist,move on to Quebec:confused:

Golden Girls
February 3rd, 2007, 06:25 AM
I huge difference between our provinces is Ontario SPCA investigators have the same powers as police officers when enforcing animal cruelty laws. The only agency that can do that here is AnimaQuebec < -- they removed that status from our MSPCA but with no funding from the gov't they can only collect complaints but can't do anything about it :shrug: Barnoti has a petition circulating asking for that mandate back.

I also think there's strong support from ontarians calling for amendments.

Golden Girls
February 3rd, 2007, 06:31 AM
Often these puppy-millers when raided and recieving a slap on the wrist,move on to Quebec:confused:Cause they know Anima-Quebec was opened to ensure the puppy mill business remains untouched :sad:

poodletalk
February 3rd, 2007, 02:39 PM
Voici Hope dans toute sa maigreur. En mortaise, les plaies au cou, l’oeil est particulièrement tuméfié. Hope s’en sortira malgré tout. (Photos: André Corbeïj)

Ce grand danois arlequin est une femelle, peut-être la dernière à avoir donné une portée de chiots à l’exploitante du ranch Les Aventuriers de Saint-Mathieu-de-Laprairie.

Quand on a nettoyé cette petite chienne et qu’on lui a fait une taille convenable de son poil, on s’est rendu compte que son collier jamais ajusté était en train de l’étouffer. Elle en porte des marques très visibles.

Sous alimenté, confiné, livré à lui-même
Hopele danois reprend du mieux mais il n’est pas sorti du bois…

Jacques St-Onge
Collaboration spéciale

Parce qu’on ne pouvait savoir son nom, le danois rescapé a été rebaptisé «Hope» par les gens de l’équipe de la Société pour la prévention de la cruauté envers la animaux, SPCA, basée à Sainte-Angèle-de-Monnoir, en retrait du chemin du Vide. «Hope», un reproducteur, n’a plus que la peau et les os mais il porte en lui l’espoir de vivre pour lequel il se bat avec 31 de ses semblables soustraits in-extrémis aux mauvais traitements qu’on leur infligeait dans un chenil clandestin, une petite usine à chiots de Saint-Mathieu-de-Laprairie

Le 18 janvier, au bout d’un va-et-vient incessant de quatre jours des gens de la SPCA Montérégie à Saint-Mathieu, les policiers de la Régie intermunicipale de Roussillon munis d’un mandat, faisaient irruption dans une grange délabrée et non chauffée du rang Saint-Pierre. À l’intérieur du bâtiment, des chiens reproducteurs hurlaient de désespoir confinés par couple dans des stalles fermées, piétinant leurs excréments, totalement privés d’eau. À l’extérieur, d’autres chiens, des husky attachés sans nourriture, tiraient de rage sur leurs chaînes pour qu’on vienne s’occuper d’eux. C’est du reste leurs jappements continuels qui ont alerté des résidants du secteur. L’anormalité de la situation a été signalée à la SPCA Montérégie dont la responsable, Linda Robertson, a enquêté sur le cas durant quatre jours, constatant sur place que personne n’était venu s’occuper des chiens durant cette période. Depuis combien de temps étaient-ils abandonnés? Nul ne le sait précisément mais dans le cas de «Hope», on peut dire qu’il était minuit moins une. Il s’est est fallu de peu qu’on ne trouve que son cadavre, explique-t-on à la SPCA.

Lorsque les représentants du Journal se sont présentés chemin du Vide à Sainte-Angèle jeudi dernier pour prendre des nouvelles des rescapés, la préposée à la chatterie, Karine, avait dû délaisser son activité coutumière pour s’occuper des chiens sortis de l’enfer qui réclament une assistance de tous les instants. Nettoyés, nourris et examinés un à un par le vétérinaire, ils s’accommodent bien dans l’ensemble à leur nouvelle vie et plusieurs d’entre eux trouveront sans trop de difficultés une famille d’accueil. «Nous avons eu des centaines d’appels d’appuis, de sympathie et d’intérêt pour une adoption», nous a assuré Mme Robertson.

Si tous vont s’en sortir puisqu’aucun chien du ranch Les Aventuriers (!) ne sera effectivement euthanasié, quelques uns garderont longtemps des séquelles de nature à influencer leur comportement. Ainsi, depuis son arrivée dans les locaux de la SPCA, un dobberman noir renommé Montana s’est réfugié sous un bureau, tapi dans l’ombre, refusant d’en sortir. «Nous l’avons trouvé dans un coin de la grange, seul et apeuré, et nous avons dû tirer fort sur la laisse pour le sortir de là. C’est un chien qui, pour un motif que nous ne connaissons pas, est terrorisé par quelque chose et c’est fortement imprégné en lui», indique-t-on à la SPCA.

Hope est une plaie vivante.
Hope est fatigué et il a toujours froid même au chaud. S’il s’est prêté de bonne grâce à une séance photo - l’animal est dépourvu d’agressivité - il n’a qu’une seule hâte, se rouler en boule sur le coussin le museau enfoui dans ses pattes, trouver sa chaleur et dormir. Qu’importe le tapage et le va-et-vient continu des autres chiens autour. Hope, qui peine à se tenir sur ses pattes, fuit la douleur qui ravage son corps. Le poitrail du danois, son cou, la partie gauche de la tête, l’œil gauche surtout, semblent être brûlés à l’acide mais en réalité c’est à force de se frotter contre le muret de son enclos à la recherche d’eau ou d’un peu d’affection, n’ayant d’autre possibilité que de s’étendre dans ses propres déjections, que la peau a été mise à vif et que des plaies sanguinolentes sont apparues.

Le cas de Hope est loin d’être unique au Québec. Les usines à chiens pullulent en Montérégie, cachées dans des fonds de rangs de campagne bien à l’abri des sanctions, des lois et règlements qui tardent à être édictés aussi bien à Québec qu’à Ottawa.

Les exploitants de ces usines ne se perçoivent pas comme des monstres malgré l’horreur et la désapprobation publique que chaque découverte d’un de ces lieux suscite. Ils agissent en gens beaucoup plus soucieux du profit qu’ils retireront de chacune des portées de chiots que du bien-être même minimal des parents reproducteurs.

En ne protégeant pas les couples, en leur imposant des régimes de vie aussi cruels, bien des chiots en portent la marque et succomberont quelques mois après leur achat dans une animalerie.

Le faux n’est pas rare dans ce type de commerce; même les certificats de santé du petit animal présumé avoir été vacciné, etc, peuvent avoir été signés par des vétérinaires qui n’existent pas…On retire trop vite les chiots de la mère, on les lave, on les enduit de poudre bonne odeur et en route pour l’animalerie.

Ainsi tourne la roue pour l’homme qui n’est pas l’ami des chiens.

poodletalk
February 3rd, 2007, 02:43 PM
Basically the article is talking about the animal seizure that the SPCA Monteregie did in January. The picture is one of the dogs that the shelter named "Hope" She was in bad shape, underweight etc.

chico2
February 3rd, 2007, 02:43 PM
Ok,English please,or a translation of the important parts,please!

poodletalk
February 3rd, 2007, 02:45 PM
When the shelter workers tried to clean this dog, the collar was tight on him from the puppymill that this is the marks that it left.

Frenchy
February 3rd, 2007, 02:47 PM
The picture is one of the dogs that the shelter named "Hope" She was in bad shape, underweight etc.

That's the one I met when I was there . :sad: and the other one with the "embaded" collar. (excuse the spelling)

chico2
February 3rd, 2007, 02:58 PM
OMG,those poor dogs:sad:
I hope with a name like Hope that she is still around,gets treated and I wish a totally different treatment for this evil woman:evil:

chico2
February 3rd, 2007, 03:50 PM
Thank's for the news PT,I did read the story in English before,I just thought maybe there was some more news.
I hope that woman does not get any dogs back,if this is not horrible neglect and animal-cruelty I don't know what is:evil:

coppperbelle
February 3rd, 2007, 06:29 PM
Thank's for the news PT,I did read the story in English before,I just thought maybe there was some more news.
I hope that woman does not get any dogs back,if this is not horrible neglect and animal-cruelty I don't know what is:evil:

According to her all she is guilty of is not cleaning out the stalls often enough. Ya right!!!!

You know the only thing that gives me any peace is knowing that some day, somewhere this lady is going to have to answer for her actions here on earth. I don't know if it is just me but I find it so difficult to comprehend how a person who is a mother and is suppose to be a nurturer did this.
I would imagine that because she is facing legal charges that child protective services will be advised and will be investigating. Hopefully other agencies like Revenue Quebec and Canada are also advised. The lawyer fees could be quite high.

Golden Girls
February 3rd, 2007, 06:59 PM
I agree. I can't stomach how people could in one breath say they love their animals yet force them to live in such disgusting conditions. If their going to profit from them wouldn't you think they'd protect their investment with at least minimal vet care, proper food, water and heat? I feel like vomitting just looking at Hope, and the thought of all the suffering she and all the others of had to endure. Some people are truly disgusting and evil. I shrudder at the thought of her being a mother. A cold blooded person doesn't start and stop with animals. It scares me just thinking about all the millers out there with no one is willing to help them. These animals were very lucky to have been found and seized. I wonder just how much exposure of animal cruelty will it take before our gov't will allow animal cruelty laws to be up-dated?

chico2
February 4th, 2007, 07:01 AM
What you say,brings to mind an EX-friend of mine,who kept a Great Dane X in a pen outdoors 24/7,365 days a year,where if the dog(Crystal) did not eat her kibbles fast enough the mice would get it.
In her mind animals,were animals,dirty and not to be touched out of fear of germs:sad:
Why did they have a dog?? They were broken in to once and she was supposed to be guarding the house.
However she was a wonderful grand-mother and mother,went to church sometimes 3 times a week,obviously forgetting dogs are also her Gods creatures.
No matter what,you cannot get a person like that to change,a cow,dog,pig,cat or anything other than human,was a dirty filthy animal devoid of feelings,in her heart.
This puppy-miller woman,could be the best mother on earth,her love though did not extend to those poor suffering dogs:sad: and more than likely her kids will grow up feeling exactly the same way:evil:

Frenchy
February 6th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I went to the spca earlier to get Nelly, my foster :cloud9: a BIG thanks to Suzyqt and Boubou, they groomed Nelly and she looks like a princess. She is the sweetest girl. Sorry for the pics but she was very busy sniffing everything in the house and meeting her new bros (Bailey , Sam and Monsieur le chat) she already came up on the bed :D and is most comfy to get pet if the others are nearby. Already knows how to give kisses ! She is now resting beside Bailey.

Frenchy
February 6th, 2007, 06:14 PM
The girls tought she was under 2 yr old, underweight but nothing like Hope (who is doing much better :thumbs up and I saw the female shaggy too ; total love bug,still have some drool on my face from all the kisses!) Nelly might weight about 70 pounds ? She is not pregnant, may have just started her heat :eek: (off to buy diapers tomorrow :o ) she doesn't seem to like going outside, I have to coax her BIG time. I wish I could stay home tomorrow ! I'm already in love with her !

Rottielover
February 6th, 2007, 06:20 PM
ask and you shall recieve.
She is a beaut

Rottielover
February 6th, 2007, 06:22 PM
she is looking as if to say, isn't there food supposed to be on these things. Congrats.

Frenchy
February 6th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Did you see the new seizure dogs from last night?

Don't worry, I will take better pictures this week end, it's already dark when I come home from work. Yes I saw some of them, I wanted to take a look at a Boxer mixt, to see if she looked boxer enough to ask Boxer rescue, she was being helped by 2 girls, she was getting ready to give birth , thank god she is not outside like yesterday :sad: I saw others that were outside playing together , I swear I heard them say ; we're free ! yipeee !

Frenchy
February 6th, 2007, 06:24 PM
she is looking as if to say, isn't there food supposed to be on these things. Congrats.

Thanks :thumbs up yes I will have to be careful , no food on the counter !

Prin
February 6th, 2007, 06:25 PM
She's so pretty! Her ears are cropped?

rainbow
February 6th, 2007, 06:36 PM
She's gorgeous, Frenchy :cloud9: ....congratulations. :highfive: Looking forward to more pics of all your fuzz butts this weekend. ;)

Frenchy
February 6th, 2007, 06:36 PM
She's so pretty! Her ears are cropped?

:confused: :o do you mean if they stand up on her head ? If so yes . Oh, I saw the dobbies too :lovestruck: I wanted to take one but I'll wait and see. :o

TeriM
February 6th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Aww, she is beautiful Frenchy :lovestruck: . How are the other kids liking her?

Frenchy
February 6th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Aww, she is beautiful Frenchy :lovestruck: . How are the other kids liking her?

Oh yes, Sam is leaving her alone, like he always does. I think Bailey is in love and Monsieur le chat "told" her right from the start he's the boss, she gets scared when he "punches" her. When Sam and Bailey played earlie,twice she got between them as if to say ; hey guys,don't fight !

TeriM
February 6th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Awww, that is so great :lovestruck: , I'm sure she will be so much fun to watch as she learns how to play with the others. Perhaps you should start a new thread for Nelly, I'm sure lots of people will want to comment.

Frenchy
February 6th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Perhaps you should start a new thread for Nelly, I'm sure lots of people will want to comment.

That's what I was thinking but I wouldn't want to bore people :o

coppperbelle
February 6th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Aaah she is beautiful.

Skryker
February 6th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Congrats, Frenchy! She's beautiful. :cloud9:

Usually when I call my man over to see photos, he says "No!" before he even looks at them :o but this time he may have been a bit wistful as he agreed with me that we can't have another dog because of city bylaws, space and finances.

TeriM
February 6th, 2007, 07:04 PM
That's what I was thinking but I wouldn't want to bore people :o

Never boring us :) . It inspires us and makes up happy to hear about your fosters :love: , especially when they come from such an awful situation :sad: .

Prin
February 6th, 2007, 07:41 PM
No way, not bored! She definitely deserves her own thread! :)

Boubou
February 6th, 2007, 10:48 PM
AAAH!! I'm so glad to hear she's getting along OK with your dogs. Now her life really gets to begin and she'll finally get what she truly deserves; a warm, soft place to lie down, and a sweet 'mommy' who'll smother her in kisses when she gets home from work! Thanks Nadine for opening your heart and your home for her! You are an angel!!!

By the way, one of the dogs from yesterdays seizure will probably give birth tonight or tomorrow. She lost her mucus plug, so it'll be anytime now. She's a cross between a Boxer and maybe Husky, very cute!

All the dogs are cross breeds. Some of them are very timid and don't seem to know how to socialize with people. They certainly don't know how to walk on a leash, they are terrified of it.

I can't figure out what the heck this idiot was doing with these dogs? Not like he was making money from breeding them and they weren't guarding the house..........very strange.......

chico2
February 7th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Frenchy,Nelly is beautiful,I am sooo happy for her:thumbs up
First thing,when I saw the pic at the counter,I thought kitchen-cupboards might not be out of reach to her,counter definetly not:laughing:
Little Monsieur Le Chat looks like he's wondering why a little horse is in his kitchen:)

These new dogs at the SPCA,were they too from a mill??Never mind,I just saw the new thread:sad:

Golden Girls
February 7th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Thanks Nadine for opening your heart and your home for her! You are an angel!!!

one of the dogs from yesterdays seizure will probably give birth tonight or tomorrow. She lost her mucus plug, so it'll be anytime now.

I can't figure out what the heck this idiot was doing with these dogs? Not like he was making money from breeding them and they weren't guarding the house..........very strange.......
Aww finally, thanks so much Frenchy for fostering yet another desperate soul :angel: Nellie is beautiful ... u.must.post.one.pic.every.day. :)

:fingerscr for the lil girl giving birth :pray: their all healthy

Exactly - this idiot who just kept them confined outside just because :confused: people are so selfish and cruel.

Boubou
February 8th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Ok Frenchy, we're due for an update!!!! :dog:

BLB
February 9th, 2007, 07:47 PM
After seeing all those dogs in that horrible place,it was great to see that beautiful girl with M le chat. Please give us an update. You deserve a big:grouphug:

Frenchy
February 9th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Sorry , I should have posted this yesterday http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=36386 Nelly has her own thread now. :lovestruck:

Golden Girls
February 13th, 2007, 06:20 AM
It's raining cats and dogs at the shelter. We need to organize a "baby shower" :stork-baby:That would be a great idea, I wonder what we all could do?

Anyone have any updates on Hope? :fingerscr :pray: :fingerscr

luckypenny
February 13th, 2007, 07:02 AM
:thumbs up Hope is recovering well. She's put on some weight so her ribs and hips are not jutting out as they were when she arrived at the shelter. When she's not napping, she's quite the social butterfly. Her skin is healing but it's still not too pleasant to look at for some people. She has very few 'raw' spots left; however, she's lost quite a bit of hair and is quite purple in those places. She likes to go outside but on for a few short minutes at a time. There's a staff member that Hope always wants to be nearby. Here's a photo taken last week before she went out for a stroll.

Golden Girls
February 13th, 2007, 07:15 AM
O Thank you sooo much for this wonderful update. Look at her :cloud9: in her coat and all :love:

You guys are wonderful :grouphug:

Hunter's_owner
February 13th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Oh she is beautiful:cloud9:
Thanks for the update. All the dogs are on my mind.
Everyone involved in helping out are wonderful:angel:

chico2
February 13th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Awww Hope,she must think she's in heaven:grouphug: to everyone involved,thank you sooo much for what you do:lovestruck:

Frenchy
February 13th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Hope is adorable, speedy recovery for her :fingerscr :goodvibes:

rainbow
February 13th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Glad to hear Hope is recovering well. :highfive: And, thanks to all of you that have done so much for all these dogs. :grouphug: :angel:

Prin
February 13th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Here's a photo taken last week before she went out for a stroll.What a cutie too! She's got such soulful eyes. :lovestruck:

the gang
February 16th, 2007, 06:20 PM
one of the danes was put down yesterday! and as far as i know the boxer that had 12 pups is doing fine

coppperbelle
February 16th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Why did they have to put a Dane down?

Frenchy
February 16th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Wich one ? I think there was only 2 at the spca (Hope and an older male) the others are in foster families.

luckypenny
February 16th, 2007, 07:23 PM
one of the danes was put down yesterday! and as far as i know the boxer that had 12 pups is doing fine

Sorry, but that information is absolutely incorrect! No Danes have been put down. All except 2 have already been placed in foster homes. Of the 2, 1 is leaving tomorrow to another home. Hope will remain at the shelter with us for the time being.

The Boxer X and her 11 puppies (she only had 11) are being well taken care of. Mom's is totally smitten with her pups :love: .

Winston
February 16th, 2007, 07:26 PM
:thumbs up Hope is recovering well. She's put on some weight so her ribs and hips are not jutting out as they were when she arrived at the shelter. When she's not napping, she's quite the social butterfly. Her skin is healing but it's still not too pleasant to look at for some people. She has very few 'raw' spots left; however, she's lost quite a bit of hair and is quite purple in those places. She likes to go outside but on for a few short minutes at a time. There's a staff member that Hope always wants to be nearby. Here's a photo taken last week before she went out for a stroll.

Hmm! could this staff member maybe foster her or adopt her?????

She is beautiful! I love her coat!

Cindy

the gang
February 16th, 2007, 07:44 PM
opps sorry i got info yesterday from one of the girls that put one of the danes down, do not want to upset apple cart

luckypenny
February 16th, 2007, 08:14 PM
The Gang, please check your PM. Thank you.

chico2
February 17th, 2007, 08:33 AM
:fingerscr :fingerscr that no dog was put down:fingerscr :fingerscr

Prin
February 17th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Hmm... Maybe I'm a pessimist or something, but even if one did get put down, which I don't know if it happened or not, it wouldn't be a surprise. I mean, the conditions these dogs came from makes it not hard to fathom that one would be too sick or weak to make it.:shrug:

chico2
February 17th, 2007, 01:27 PM
If any of the dogs were in really bad shape and suffering,sure I understand..but still I wish for all these dogs to learn what a good loving life is all about:fingerscr

Prin
February 17th, 2007, 03:16 PM
For sure! I just didn't want this thread to turn to blaming the SPCA Monteregie for not doing its best. :o You just can't save them all sometimes.:shrug: :sad: (But I still have no idea if the above is true at all, so you know... I'm just saying.;))

Golden Girls
February 17th, 2007, 03:22 PM
opps sorry i got info yesterday from one of the girls that put one of the danes down, do not want to upset apple cartUpset the apple cart? Did one or didn't one have to be euthanized? I mean no one other then this irresponsible puppy mill owner is responsible for them being sick :shrug:

Boubou
February 17th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Please make sure your info and your sources are correct before passing on information. This is how rumours are started....

All of the Great Danes including all the other dogs from both seizures are doing extremely well. They are all thriving and doing amazingly well with all their foster families.

We still need foster homes for the Huskies - all but one of the Dobermans are placed, and there is a potential foster home for the last one.....

Golden Girls
February 17th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I'm so happy to hear their all doing well and are healthy :goodvibes: :fingerscr for the Huskies and that one Dobie good job everyone :thumbs up Thanks so much for all you do ... all of you :grouphug:

luckypenny
February 17th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Please make sure your info and your sources are correct before passing on information. This is how rumours are started...

Thank you Boubou. My feelings exactly.

luckypenny
February 17th, 2007, 06:05 PM
If any of the dogs were in really bad shape and suffering,sure I understand..but still I wish for all these dogs to learn what a good loving life is all about:fingerscr

Rest assured, your wish came true. These guys were rescued just in time.

Prin
February 17th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Thanks for clearing that up! :highfive: :grouphug: :goodvibes:

chico2
February 18th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Boubou,Luckypenny and everyone else involved,thank you for keeping us informed:thumbs up
Often times,once the excitement of the BYB seizure is no longer in the news,we don't hear much anymore,good or bad..so,thank's!
Through Frenchy,who has beautiful Nelly,at least we will know of her progress:)

rainbow
February 18th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I also would like to thank you all. :highfive: And, fingers crossed for the huskies.....hopefully they will find foster homes soon. :fingerscr :pray: :goodvibes: Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr