Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I need an opinion about a cat

pinto1515
January 18th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I need an opinion about something. I recently took my cat to the spca, because he was pooping and peeing alot all over our house. I received a phone call from a lady where he was originally before I got him. She told me she could get him neutered and they would pay for it. She asked me if I would be willing to take him back after and give him another chance. I am torn I want to take him back but hubby doesn't want to take the cat back. Also the lady said if we don't want to take him back she would give us another cat. what do I do. I am stuck and sad. Someone please help I need advice on this one. Thank you.

Pinto1515:sad:

Hunter's_owner
January 18th, 2007, 06:16 PM
I may come across as rude, but I don't want to be...

If you plan on taking that cat back or getting another one, please realize that all animals require a lot of work. It might mean accidents over the house or something like that, but most people here wouldn't give up their animal after something like that. They would work to find a solution to the problem, to help theirselves and their pet live happy lives.

Please, put a lot of thought into this and don't get an animal if you plan on getting rid of it when the going gets tough:o

badger
January 18th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Did you try out any solutions before giving him up or take him to the vet to see if he had a physical problem? He should have been neutered earlier, that might have helped.
If you can persuade hubby to take him back, make sure you have a plan in place ie to confine him to one room, with a litter box and see how he does, before allowing him access to the rest of the house.
How does he do otherwise, temperament, etc.
If you take a new cat, there's nothing that says the new one won't have problems as well, although maybe not the same ones. Because of their often sad history - being dumped or abused, starving outside - rescue cats can be complicated and for most of us in rescue, that is a challenge we take on readily (well, usually :)). So unless you're prepared to try new approaches with him, things won't change.
That being said, all this accumulated negative history will make it difficult to adopt him out again. I hope your SPCA is no-kill.

PS Personally, I would give him another shot after having him neutered. If money is an issue, I recommend putting a few dollars aside in an emergency fund each month. All cats need a vet from time to time and many are dumped because people are not prepared to spend the money. I saw a guy give up a cat at the Montreal SPCA because it had earmites! The cost of a remedy? About 25$.

I agree with the above post.

cpietra16
January 18th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Please, before you make any decision, get the cat out of the SPCA, before they PTS him. Cats that pee or poop usually are trying to tell you something is wrong with the environment or themselves....no one can promise a perfect cat anymore than someone can promise you a perfect man....it takes work and patience.
Can you get this cat back to the rescuer??

heidiho
January 18th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I dont get it what if you got a different pet and he or she had issues then what would hubby do.That is crazy that just like that he wont try and work on it,trade him in..:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

happycats
January 18th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I really don't think your ready for any pets right now.

You should have taken this poor cat to the vet first, it may have had a medical problem.

The cat should have been fixed. (that may have been the problem)

what other alternatives did you try prior to dumping it.

Why the SPCA, do you honestly believe anyone will adopt your problem pet from them? It wll be put down for sure:sad: does that bother you at all?

Why didn't you come here (or seek help) prior to dumping the cat?

It doesn't seem like your ready for the responsibility and commitment required in owning a pet, to bad you didn't know this prior to getting the cat in the first place .

Dracko
January 18th, 2007, 07:30 PM
If the lady you got the cat from is willing to pay for the neutering I don't understand why the cat wouldn't have gone back to her rather than the SPCA?

The thing about pets is you don't get to try them out first. This cat had an issue with this, the next it could be something totally different but ultimatly just as bothersome. Even an older cat that you have a history on can change when adopted out in to a new environment.

If it were me I would find out if the woman would take the cat back. If so, I'd get it and give it to her. Then I'd wait until you and your husband are ready to take on whatever comes your way in regards to the animal you adopt. When one of my older cats who is no longer with me started peeing on my bed it didn't cross my mind to put her down. And this after numerous times of snuggling in to bed and suddenly feeling something "wet". :yuck: I put a plastic cover on my mattress and moved the litter box upstairs, made sure it was cleaned constantly (got an automated one) and discovered she had kidney problems. Was it inconvenient to come home and have to strip the bed? Yes, but I did everything I could to help with the problem.

I realize this is easier with a cat you've had for 17 years as was the case with the cat I mentioned, but once I bond with an animal it's for life.

heidiho
January 18th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I dont get it,people that have kids that wet the bed or have health issues dont get rid of them,your pet deserves the same.......

allygirlxo8
January 18th, 2007, 09:22 PM
i agree with heidiho. i am having this same problem with my 12 year old cat. there is a key. you just need patience. try cat attract litter and some feliway products. you can only get cat attract litter at petsmart. and feliway in big petstores. it is expensive to try new things but if you are devoted it is worth it. i would rather deal with my problem cat and try to help her. i just cant live with out her. she is my child

I DO BELIEVE YOU ARE READY FOR A CAT! you are on here asking for help. just remember that. if you wernt ready you wouldnt care. you need to start somewhere

CyberKitten
January 18th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I agree with the other comments. I am glad to hear the breeder is willing to take the cat back - that is a good sign. My concern is you should ensure you really really want a cat.

you are describing what is to most of us a minor issue and one usually easily fixed.

- 1st, am assuming the cat is neutered. In the unlikely event he is not, that may be part of the problem.
-The cat may be stressed 0 have you tried feliway or any other relaxation issues.
- there could be issues re the litter box (normal rule of thumb is one box per cat plus one and some kitties like to do one thing in one box and another in a 2nd box).
- Some cats are finicky about litter so you might try different litter. How long have you had the cat? Did you continue with the same litter? Don't use cheap litter unless the cat you adopted is somehow used to it and you are willing to take that chance. (Tho come kitties will adjust to paper) I use Yesterday's News which is expensive but my kitties all like it except my newest guy who likes yet another brand so he has his own boxes. I might try him with YN sometime but cats are easily stressed and often show it in how they approach their elimination habits and this poor guy (who was a rescue and if yours came from the SPCA, he may need some extra care, as any SPCA cat might - most just need the basics, love, good food, great vet care, more love, toys, a place to play and people or other cats to play with, good litter boxes, a leash so they can walk outside with you or a outdoor enclosure for the summer, a cat carrier, sweaters if they are like my Sphynx Girls, lol, I could go on...)
- Make sure the box is clean every day. Cats are extremely clean animals.
0 Cats like a certain kind of box. Have you tried different types of boxes? Many cats do not like the covered ones and actually, they are not that healthy for cats because of the smells accumulating so if that is an issue, try a different one. Some do not like the automatic ones.
- Is the box in a good location? Cats like privacy but they also need to be able to get to their box, ie is it available to him all the time? There are no doors that might inadvertently get shut out ex??
- The biggie here is outside the box which means your cat is trying to tell you something. That means 1st of all a vet visit. What does the vet say? Any urinary tract issues? Has he had a recent check up?
- If there is nothing physical, it can be behavioural which means figuring out what is stressing him? Just moving to a new home may stress some cats and he may relax after being with you for awhile so you need lots of patience and time with cats.
- Are there any cats outside when he looks outside that might be stressing him in some way?
Check to see where the urine or feces is - if it is near a door or a window, that could mean another cat or even another animal is stressing your cat. Don't scare the other cat - just find out where s/he belongs and call his or her ppl. or if s/he is a :stray" (hate that word!), call your SPCA - they seem pretty good.
- This is from a cats magazine I save (I sub to too many, lol) "Ironically, cats often seek out the comforting scent of their favorite person when they are in pain or are stressed, but occasionally a cat will selectively urinate on items that belong the individual who annoys or frightens the cat." Cat Fancy, 2003
So, be a detective and figure out where is it that the kitty is urinating or defecating inappropriately.
- Cats in pain will do this, esp after surgery or cats that have been declawed (hate that word even more than stray). Is he declawed. maybe the family that brought him in to the SPCA created this behaviour by declawing this poor kitty In this case, you will have to work with the vet, a behaviourist and the cat to figure out how to help him overcome hos fear and residual pain and trauma from the declawing procedure.
- It often takes a couple months to figure out what is going on but you should never give up on a cat even if it takes longer - cats are unique and some need that extra TLC. In the meantime, there are many products and ways to help. Keep him in certain areas but still give him enough room. Do not make it seem like punishment (ie do not put him somewhere where he cannot see you - I do not personally like confinement and would use it only in extreme situations which yours does not seem to be just yet.) Watch where he goes and reward him when he does eliminate in the box. Cats do not react at all well to punishment - it just serves to stress them even more!
- Give any cat doing this extra attention - call it play therapy!
- Ask the cat's history if they know enough of it from the SPCA. Dis this cat perhaps eliminate in a toilet. Some do, as one of my Siamese;s mother did until a few studies have shown this to be unhealthy to the cat's back and some extremities in the long term. Do you have to retrain him to use the box? Maybe he was punished by someone in the past and something occurred that brought back bad memories that you would have no way of knowing. (Cats really do have looooooooooong memories!)
- Sometimes, it can be a small thing. I know of one kitty who hates his fur on the bottom soiled so avoided the box for that reason. So his person cuts his hair there every day.

I would try every one of those things before returning this poor cat. The SPCA or any rescue, while great places doing good work - are still stressful for a cat to return to. (Mostly because they hate change and I don't know if your SPCA is a no ill one but if you are not willing to work with him and they cannot find anyone who will, you could be consigning him to his death!)

I do think of these things bother you and you return the cat, you might to rethink whether you have the aptitude or time or commitment to have a cat. It is a lifelong commitment and it really is better to know before any cat is adjusted in your home It is not like returning an unwanted item to a store. It really is akin to adopting a family member and all that goes with that. You would not return a child if you adopted a baby and s/he developed problems. The same is true for animals who are living, breathing beings in need of care and love.

I would try my best with all of these suggestions and if this does not work, would talk to the people at the SPCA about whether you are ready for a cat. To be frank 0 and I am not being critical here - these are not major issues you list here (as someone noted, rather like a child bed wetting and there are lots of solutions for that). Similarly, there are solutions of kitties who through no fault of theirs, eliminate inappropriately.

Good luck!!

jiorji
January 18th, 2007, 09:49 PM
wooooooooo long thread..and i'm sure someone has already mentioned this...but neutering has NOTHING to do with the poop shute. He gets neutered and he'll still poop. There must be something wrong with him.

If you're not willing to put the money into neutering him then you shouldn't have a pet.
If you're not willing to put money into going to the vet(which you should've done before coming on here as vet would know why the cat has a pooping problem) then again you shouldn't have a pet.

maybe you're not ready:o

a cat is less work than other pets but they're not furniture or decoration. They need attention and vet checks and well he's probably really sick if he doesn't want to poop where he should.

ALso, I don't think the SPCA you got him from is doing their job. They shouldn't pay for any vet bills. YOU should. it's YOUR pet therefore YOUR responsibility, not the SPCA's.

Not everybody's a pet person. Maybe if you want to help the less fortunate animals you could just donate money to an organization or help pay for the surgery or vet bills for a sick animal :thumbs up

vfrohloff
January 19th, 2007, 07:55 AM
My opinion about the cat is that he should have been neutered and seen a vet before being dumped. My opinion about you is that you shouldn't own pets. I'll probably get edited for my bluntness, but seriously, why did you bother getting a cat in the first place? It irritates me to no end that people adopt pets and then just get rid of them as soon as it becomes the least bit inconvenient. I'm sorry you're sad, but that cat is probably a lot sadder sitting in a cage at the SPCA.

CyberKitten
January 19th, 2007, 04:26 PM
OMG - I just reread the 1st post and realized the cat is NOT neutered!! How could an agency allow the adoption of an unneutered cat? That is ridiculous. (But not unknown to the SPCA so in a way it is a rhetorical comment). While, the person above noted there is no correlation between defecation and neutering, that may or may not be true depending on the medical issues. Hard to say as s/he correctly says without a vet visit. And yes, if I adopt an unneutered or unspayed cat (which I did once come to think of it because like an idiot, I fell in love with a show quality Siamese and they are sold unspayed because they are expected to be shown and then if they do say become a Champion, may then be credibly bred. However, I had my girl spayed asap just because I think we have enough cats now who need homes - I still love and adore this cat very much. I had been looking for a special needs kitty and go figure, ended up with a Show Quality beauty. Anyway- sorry to digress.

Have him neutered BEFORE you even decide what to do re the urination and defecation issue. That may solve the urination issue at least. But I emphasie the may given he is also defecating. It sounds behavioural to me but I am not a vet. For heaven's sake, please take him for a vet visit!!! That should always be your first course of action if litter changes and that kind of thing fails.

heidiho
January 19th, 2007, 04:37 PM
And where is Pinto ,any thoughts Pinto??You are still here right??

heidiho
January 19th, 2007, 04:38 PM
This is a first i a have heard of a spca letting an animal go wothout being fixed first.I dont buy it......

CyberKitten
January 19th, 2007, 04:44 PM
There are SPCA's - often those who have contracts with municipalities - who will adopt pets without spaying or neutering first. Often, they are located in rural areas and I have seen them in rural southern US to the Maritimes to other pars of North America. Think of an SPCA that is the only game in town and is acting as the pound. The good ones require spaying and/or neutering (often, they require a signature on a contract) but sometimes it is not even that, sigh! Still, even then, they lack the resources to do follow ups.

A scary thought!

And I think our original poster may not have returned???

heidiho
January 19th, 2007, 04:50 PM
that is crazy,i never knew that.......:frustrated: :frustrated:

Dracko
January 19th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I didn't read the first post as the cat came from the SPCA but rather she dropped him off there now. She said "the woman who had him first contacted her." Wouldn't that be who she got him from then? Sounds to me like she got him from someone who was looking to place a cat, it didn't work out and she took it to the SPCA. Somehow the original owner called her and then offered to pay for the neutering.

CyberKitten
January 20th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Hmmmm.. I don't know Draco. It's possible but I know here, it is not uncommon for people who adopt a pet from the SPCA to talk to the previous "owner" to find out more info about the pet - I guess that is how I read that. Anything is possible since I did not notice the kitty was not even neutered!! (which might be more in keeping with say purchasing a cat from a byb or even responding to a "Free to Good Home" ad). If so, I'd have to wonder if your pet was experiencing these problems, why would you call the SPCA - except of course if you want to get rid of the poor thing. I hate that language - get rid of - but there is no easy way to say that if someone is going to be irresponsible enough about their pet ownership, sigh! Maybe she'll come back and clear it up. I hate to speculate... I just cannot imagine anyone calling the SPCA if they have a problem with their cat. That is why there are vets!!

chico2
January 20th, 2007, 08:11 AM
I tend to agree with Jiorji on this one..:sad:
I am not sure why the OP came here to ask for advice,maybe for us to suggest to get another cat??
Trade a defected one for another???
Basic vetcare and often expensive treatments goes hand in hand in owning a pet,if you are not willing to help an animal with obvious trouble,then please,don't have an animal.
Neutering is absolutely needed,but his other problem can stem from many things,maybe as simple as a stinky litterbox or stress from a not so compassionate husband:confused: who knows??only a vet can tell..
Hopefully the cat has not been put down already and can go back to the original owner:fingerscr

joeysmama
January 20th, 2007, 12:12 PM
I have got to stand alongside Jiorji and Chico here. I don't know if the OP is still readng these though. But just in case here's my :2cents: :

Not everyone is a pet person and I think that you aren't. That's ok but please recognize it and refrain from adding more pets.

I hope that you will follow through on your reponsibility to this one though and be sure that he isn't put down. Find him a home with someone who is willing to do what needs to be done for his well being.