Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog not eating/eating poop

scotswop
January 18th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Buddy is 8 months now and due to everyone going back to school/work we are now leaving him alone all day (7:30 - 3:30) and trying to feed him only once per day. I have my daughter put out his food at 3:30 when she gets home from school. Before I leave in the morning I give him a dog biscuit.

We only leave the food down for a short while, but he is turning his nose up at the food, so then I have to put it out again at about 7. Most of the time he eats it, but sometimes he only eats about 50% of it. Is 8 months too young to be feeding only once per day? I had heard 3 times to 6 months, twice to 9 months and then once per day.

I am now noticing that occasionally he goes out and does his poops and sometimes eats them. Is this normal?? I hope not. He doesn't cry when we leave, so I had thought he was adjusting well. Any hints?

heidiho
January 18th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Not sure what everyone here will say,but i say yes only once a day at that age is not enough.For me unless a vet told me differnet i will always feed 2 x a day,i could not imagine only eating one time a day,and i would never let my pet only have one meal a day.Just my opinion.....

JanM
January 18th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I feed twice a day too - and mine are 2.5 yrs and 1.5 yrs. I fed them 3x per day until they were about 6 months then went to twice a day. Mind you, they also share a bit of my lunch too when it is "doggie edible"..

scotswop
January 18th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks, I think once a day is cruel too, but my best friend, who has 4 dogs (and used to breed), has always fed only once per day. So I kinda listened to her opinion.

jessi76
January 18th, 2007, 08:50 PM
once a day is not cruel, I think it depends on the dog though. my dog eats once a day. he's always eaten once a day. in fact, when he was a puppy I literally had to TRICK him into eating more than once a day. he just wasn't a 2-3 meal a day dog. of course, it's not like he's not eating anything during the day - there are plenty of biscuits, training treats, and occassional bones for him.

I thought it was bizarre, and even spoke to my vet about it. My dog has been on target (weight-wise) since day 1. never over weight, nor under. he's maintained an "ideal" weight & muscle tone actually. (he's currently 50lbs)

as for the poo-snacking.... my dog did this once. you may not like the following........ I stuck my hand right in his mouth and fished it out. gave him a stern NO! (I mean STERN, there is no messin 'round w/ a woman who has a handfull of sh--) my dog never touched it again. in fact, he won't even go NEAR poo now. if I throw the ball for him outside, and it lands near poo, my dog gets a look of total disgust on his face, and walks away. he will have nothing to do w/ poo. granted it was royally disgusting to fish out ABC poo, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

this probably didn't help you much, but you're not alone. lots of dogs eat poo, and lots of dogs eat one meal a day.

the gang
January 18th, 2007, 09:47 PM
lol !you want to come help me i have 2 that eats poop and tried everthing, brenda and the 5 pins

x.l.r.8
January 18th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Not sure what your feeding but I know if there is a lot of sugar and non digestable ingredients in the food they are trying to gain some of the nutrients they didn't get the first time round. If you do a search there's some advice on this.

allygirlxo8
January 18th, 2007, 10:10 PM
i once had a puppy that ate his poo and he grew out of it... that or ate a bad peice. who knows? well i grew up with my parents being breeders and i show dogs... i have never been a two meal feeder... my dogs dont like to eat twice a day. we would start only feeding them once at about 6-8. it depends on the dog and sometimes the breed. my dogs usually they like to be feed around noon. i know that isnt a good time for you but i just thought i would give it a shot. good luck with everything. i didnt help much.

Ally

Prin
January 19th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Not sure what your feeding but I know if there is a lot of sugar and non digestable ingredients in the food they are trying to gain some of the nutrients they didn't get the first time round. If you do a search there's some advice on this.

I agree. I think it's time for a re-evaluation of the diet...:o

mummummum
January 20th, 2007, 01:09 AM
In addiition to thinking about whether his food is meeting his nutritional needs please think about his emotional and exercise needs. Sometimes when dogs no longer have their humans 24-7, they become focussed on things they can control ~ like food and bad behaviour such as wat I call "sh-nacking".