Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how to train for one spot?

melissa594
January 18th, 2007, 01:43 PM
hello all..

I am looking for infomation on how to train my dog to go potty in one area only.. at our last house, she had full run of the yard (fenced) and here (new house) she has had full run of EVERYWHERE, due to lack of fence.
(hopeing to get fence this spring)..

But anyways.. reason(s) I would like to train her to one area are:
1. Only one area to clean
2. I have 5 kids, plus daycare kids and we sometimes miss spots and then have little land mines .. ewww

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated..

thanks in advance..

Ps. Baby(thats her name) is going to be 3 in april.. please tell me its not too late.. lol

tenderfoot
January 18th, 2007, 03:00 PM
This will be much like training a pup not to soil the house and to just go outside. You are going to have to be consistent and very aware. Simply setting a potty spot in the yard taking her to it a few times and then trusting she knows what you want will not be enough.

Decide first where the location is - be fair it should not just be a 2 foot square. Perhaps the far corner of the yard. Take some of her more recent deposits and put them there - this will encourage her to want to go potty. Then go out with her on the leash and take her to the spot. Use a word like 'potty' to tell her what you want. Stay in that location until she does something and then reward her like she won the lottery. Take her back inside and repeat this frequently throughout the day. She should not be out alone for any length of time for her to make mistakes elsewhere. As she starts to understand then you can take her out on a long leash (or if you trust her without a leash) and go with her to that location again. Keep reminding her of what you want and reward her when she does it.

Monitoring a dog is very important if we hope for them to have continued success.

It is good to leave at least one deposit at the location but be sure to clean the rest up. Often dogs will soil an area until it is full and then move on to the next area. So keep this spot fairly clean so she doesn't have a reason to change locations.

Please be careful with her until you get that new fence. Not all dogs are naturally inclined to want to stay home and not wander. It might be worth it to set up a smaller fenced area for her that is separate from the children - perhaps you could do that earlier than the spring.

4thedogs
January 18th, 2007, 03:14 PM
You will need to leash your pup each time
Encourage to go in the area of your choice
Reward/praise heavily when pup does it

There are some things that you can do to help with the spot

Mark the area with flags, fence to use as a visual
For the ground you can make it different from the ground by laying stone or gravel
For the males you can place a post somewhere in the area.
The area doesn't need to be huge but needs to accomodate the size of dog

To get pup started scent wise, pick up some of the puppy potty training aid to boost up the smell.
You can get a pee post that has deer urine on it.

Hope this helps

Spirit
January 18th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Tenderfoot knows his (her?) stuff.

At 3 years old it's going to take a bit longer to train her to go in that same spot, but it is possible with much consistancy and patience from you. Once she starts successfully going in that spot, you might occasionally have to remind her that you want her to continue going in that spot, but it no... it is not too late.

Good luck!

Angie J
January 19th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Where do you get a pee post with deer urine on it?

Angie J