Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

started training for sled

Rottielover
January 18th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Hey guys,
Today at lunch harley and I had a blast, we went out and tried his harness on with the lines at first. Was not too sure about things dragging behind him. But as always praise and food got rid of any hesitation.
Then I placed him in front of the sled, in a sit, and hooked him up. He looked around but did not budge.
I went 5 feet in front of him with a piece of food, he started to move with the sled. Looking back his whole way.I praised, did this 10 times, mixing food and praise. When I noticed he was always looking forward, I walked beside him and said pull. 5 steps treat. same thing over and over.
after 20 mins, he was walking with the sled behind him, not even flinching.
I say pretty darn good for a first attempt.
We will be working up slowly to kaylas weight. 40 lbs. do not want to stress.
He has had a check up, his lungs and heart are fine, as well as his hips are excellent said the prelims.
This is another fun activity I am doing. Not for competition. He loves it.
He is also learning can not pee when sled is on, LOL

Lissa
January 18th, 2007, 01:33 PM
That's great - you must be really happy!!!

Where did you get your sled - is it one of those child sleds or a real one? Dodger has a carting and sledding harness that I use for the bike trailer, skijoring and pulling things like rocks (for landscaping!) but it would be so much easier with a proper sled!

40lbs will be easy for him in time! My friend's 60lbs lab is pulling 250lbs and he's still adding weight in 2-5lbs increments.

Keep up the good work! I'm finding that the hardest part is teaching Dodger to move forward in a straight line!

Rottielover
January 18th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Harley will always be on lead, so not worried there. It is a kids old fashioned wooden sled. Works well, just need something to keep my daughter on. LOL maybe a belt

erykah1310
January 18th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Great news!!!!:thumbs up
Gonna have to share some pics when he's really pulling!

Prin
January 18th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Cool! They say that the easiest way to teach a dog how to pull a sled is hook the doggy up to a couple of sled dogs and let the sled doggies teach the dog how to do it. It's nearly instant.:)

Good luck! :)

Angie J
January 19th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Have you read Connsie Powel, or Beth Oslander vidio? They're great refrence tools!

I can't wait untill my Newf is big enough to pull. Here's one of us trying his harness for fit.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2558150120092561745WFCkrY

Angie J

Rottielover
January 19th, 2007, 11:06 AM
cute pic..... I need a wagon for the summer months, spring fall actually, harley does not do well in heat, so no summer pulling

Angie J
January 19th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I got one of those carriers that are pulled behind a bike. Aluminum frame and with a fabric construction. A sulky style pull; It is extremely light weight if the load is ballanced.

Angie J