Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my cat is peeing in my bed! what can i do?

allygirlxo8
January 18th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Hello! im new to this site. i came across it one night when i was looking for a solution to my cat :cat: problem. i have two cats 10 and 12. my 12 cat ,tiny, doesnt like to use the litter box for peeing in. she likes to use my bed. but, she only pees in the bed when i have left for a night or when i make the bed. i have tried moving the litter box to different places. i have tried different kinds of litter boxes, different litters (including cat attract litter), i have tried spraying the bed with feliway products (it actually seems like she doesnt like it). she doesnt have a bladder problem, just behavioral problems. i just dont know what to do anymore but i cannot get ride of her. she is my child i have had her since i was seven.:lovestruck: i would really like to be able to make my bed when i leave the house. she is "Rosemary's cat!" :evil: is there anything else out there that i can try?

Ally

please help my cat :cat: and i!

Inisfad
January 18th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Is there any way that you can close the door to where you bed is so that cat can't get in to pee? You say the cat is 12 - how long has she been doing this? And who is Rosemary (you say it's Rosemary's cat). I often find that a cat doing this can be either end of the spectrum - either a great, loving compliment, or a way of asserting herself over you. It's difficult to say which is going on with you as you didn't give enough info. If she's Rosemary's cat, she could view you as competition, so she's erasing your odor with her own. The easiest thing, I suppose, is to keep her out of the room where you bed is and in a more neutral area.

Dracko
January 18th, 2007, 12:03 PM
LMAO....I think she means "Rosemary's Cat" as in the movie "Rosemary's Baby."

I had an older cat that did this and found out she had kidney problems.

One thing I would suggest is putting a plastic cover on your mattress STAT!!!!

If you take the cat to the vet and they say nothing seems wrong, I'd close the bedroom door and try to find someone who understands cat behavior and see if you can find out what's up.

allygirlxo8
January 18th, 2007, 12:04 PM
my cat is only allowed in my room. so they are in one room. this problem has been going on for a long time. it started at my parents and she would pee anywhere... but now that i moved out she just pees in my bed. i dont let them out of my room because they are just fine in my room. they run and play. and they dont show any intrest in getting out. i just dont want them to bother my roommates and incase our friend comes over (he is allergic to cats) he can be in the living room with no problems. i have put a waterproof matress on my bed right when i moved... incase of spills.... never thought that this would be the "spill".
~Ally

Inisfad
January 18th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Ooh, Got it - Rosemary's baby! sorry! Checking her out with the vet is a good idea certainly, to make sure there's nothing wrong. I have a cat that has started to pee on the keyboard of my computer! Easier of course, to put this out of her reach. But since I'm on the computer alot, I kind of viewed this as her bonding with me through her scent. When your cat pees on your bed, does she try to cover it up or just leave it out in the open? You say you have another cat in the room as well. where does this cat pee? Maybe you need a litter box for each of them.

allygirlxo8
January 18th, 2007, 12:25 PM
she has been to the vet... they said she is fine it is just behavioral and that i should do some research on the internet... if i dont find anything her will talk to me about medication and other things.... but this meeting is fourty dollars... so i am researching first. when i have caught her doing it she begins to dig and then pees and then i catch her. when i look at her she will run. i dont punish her because i know it is insticnt or she is trying to tell me something... so i dont know if she tries to cover it up.... but when she does it and i dont catch her it does look like she tried. but again im not sure. maybe a camera would help

badger
January 18th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Get a big roll of tinfoil and cover the bed with it every morning, every inch. Cats hate tinfoil.
I'd try two litterboxes, as far apart as possible. Find the softest litter you can find. Torn-up newspapers?
Try moving your bed to a different place in the room.
I admire your calmness and determination. There's a key to this, you just haven't found it yet.