Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Who here has indoor/outdoor cats??

heidiho
January 17th, 2007, 07:46 PM
my boyfriend was saying we should start taking her outside ,i guess to get to know strays,they are at our door morning and evening,and i guess just so she knows her surroundings,not really sure why,will clarify tonight why he thinks we need to.I was wondering who here lets there cats come and go????I just dont want her getting a taste of the outside then wanting to always go outside.Whats your opinion??????:cat: :cat:

Hunter's_owner
January 17th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I don't think a cat needs to get a feel for the outdoors, imo.

I think a cat can be perfectly fine if they never go outside, but if they do, I would have them leashed with a halter.

cpietra16
January 17th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Now that I live in the city cats are strictly indoor cats unless they're on a leash...however this is new to me. When I lived on Vancouverr Island in the middle of nowhere they were out all day from 9:00am to 4:30. At 4:30 they all came in becasue the cougars were around for supper. I have never lost a cat to any cougar or wildlife...but I am terrified of cars. They have no clue what to do with a car:rolleyes:

heidiho
January 17th, 2007, 07:59 PM
I know,my boyfriend can say some goofy things..I am really against it,even though i am starting to feel bad when she stares out the windows lookin like 'OH MY GOD I WOULD LOVE TO BE OUT THERE"....Also wondering (of course she would be leashed) how the strays would act towards her.....

x.l.r.8
January 17th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Need a 'can of worms' Icon for this one. Seems many people have very dofferent opinions but I do have indoor outdoor cats. In London they used to come and go as they pleased, always had done and everyone in the neighbourhood knew who's they were. When we moved to Toronto we had to keep them inside. It was only for a few weeks and it wasn't to bad, the worst thing was having the litter tray in the basement as there was no ventilation. Once we moved into the country we started letting them out again, they are in before dark and they are sometimes whining to go out but we ignor them and they soon stop. Now the oldest has gone and the 2 kitten remain and one goes out for the day and is seen at feeding time, the other may poke it's head out of the flap and if there's a gust of wind she will be under the bed for a week. If the boy does a moonlight flit or doesn't come home when called, he gets put under house arrest for 3 days when he finally returns, he knows the rules. If your thinking of getting them harness's get them used to them early, we tried them on all three (to try and get them to the vets without the catbox's) and it was a disaster.

heidiho
January 17th, 2007, 08:37 PM
She will never be allowed to go out on her own,i do feel bad cause she sees teh 2 strays at our door,and i know she would love to explore outside,but #1 cars-to many and she knows nothing about them....#2- other strays might not like it to much and kick her A**....really that is enough for me,if we did live upcountry i probably would.I just have to get over feeling guilty that she is not allowed oustside,so do you think harnessing her and taking her out there is opening a can of worms that i night not be able to close once she gets a taste of it?????

Inisfad
January 18th, 2007, 07:24 AM
I live way out in the country, away from everything, and my cats could go out if they wanted to, but they all seem to prefer to sit at the window and just look out. I don't think a cat needs to go out, but its always a good idea to have something in the house for them to play with so they stay stimulated. And you talk about cars, which also makes me a little wary. Cats are notoriously bad with cars, and seem to dart out just as the car is coming, for some reason. The harness is not a bad idea, which gives her a chance to get out (or maybe satisfy your boyfriends need for the cat to go out???). But I think if you live in any kind of area where there is traffic, feral cats, and other things that could cause harm to your cat, its better to keep her in or take her for walks with the harness.

Scott_B
January 18th, 2007, 07:34 AM
I have 3 cats. All around 6 years old. Two have always been indoor only cats. 1 was my brothers cat who was indoor/outdoor, but was hit by a car. We helped pay for his medical bills, and as my bro went to university, we ended up taking him with us. Hes an indoor kitty now too

jessi76
January 18th, 2007, 08:58 AM
I allow my cats outside, BUT there are strict rules... only in good weather, and someone MUST be out w/ them. I started taking them out on leashes, to get them used to the front gardens, and such. Then slowly gave them some freedom, but kept them close. Basically, they are only out w/ me, in the spring/summer, if I'm in the front gardens or something. never unsupervised. I leave the front door open so they can go inside if needed. I've also trained my cats to come to me when called. they come everytime, and everytime they get a treat.

If another cat is in our yard, my cats STAY INSIDE. no if's and's or but's about it. I don't want to risk any fights. sometimes I put Tucker (my dog) on a long lead in the front gardens too - while my cats are lounging there - he keeps any strays away from them.

there are other alternatives though, you can build a cat-run (or even buy one!) I would REALLY love to build one of these someday soon.

some ideas:
http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/catrun.htm
http://www.midnightpass.com/kittywalktm.html
http://www.thecatsden.net/enclosure.html

chico2
January 18th, 2007, 09:20 AM
My cats,as most people here know,go outside with us(we're retired),we started with harnesses and leashes,but soon we had them trained to stay within our fenced yard,never alone though,always either hubby or me with them.
Before we take them out,we always check for any strange cats,another cat would be a reason for them to forget all rules and run after said cat and the possibliity to get hurt in a fight or even worse get lost.:sad:
In the winter they go out for 2 seconds:D happily running back inside to change the design on my floors,kitty-paws on woodfloors is cute.

If I were you Heidi,seeing there are a lot of ferals around,I would really hesitate to expose her to them,she could get hurt,cat-fights can be really nasty and very expensive.
Maybe put her in a harness,take her with you to sit out on the patio(I assume you have one)any feral cats would probably scatter with you there.
However cats get in to habits like mine,they know when it's their time to go outside and certainly let us know:cat:
So,if you take her out with you,be prepared to do it every day and be very careful,cats are like I've said before,escape-artists..

OntarioGreys
January 18th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Not just cars that are dangerous outside, cats are territorial so it is not unusual for fights to occur between strange cats, so it could puts at risk of injury, contraction of disease like feline AIDS and picking up fleas or internal parasites also in danger of dogs, even though my dogs live with 2 cats that would not stop them from trying to hunt one down if it came into my yard. luckily most people here keep their cats indoors (to them if it is outdoor, runs from them it is prey, just like a squirrel or rabbit, they are acting on instinct, even my moms little shih tzu would try to hunt cats that were bigger than her)

jiorji
January 18th, 2007, 11:58 AM
D happily running back inside to change the design on my floors,kitty-paws on woodfloors is cute.

If I were you Heidi,seeing there are a lot of ferals around,I would really hesitate to expose her to them,she could get hurt,cat-fights can be really nasty and very expensive.

hahah cute and I agree.

My cats aren't allowed outside if there's a threat. When they DO go outside they're on a harnes and leash on the balcony sniffing the plants and watching the pigeons. But they're never unattended as it's a balcony and they can woner off and get trapped and choke :shrug: so many bad things can happen from a harness.

But, with other cats around, I'd worry if she were to get picked on.

I think cats are fine just watching the outside world without being in it. It seems a bit cruel but it's for their own safety. My cats often watch for birds sitting on the balcony and they react the same as they would if they were outside and they don't know the difference. They can't tell the bird's outside and they're inside. Funny but the birds know ;)

If you want, get a bird feeder by your window where Roxy can sit and then birds can come eat and she can paw at them through the window and they won't get hurt and she'll be entertained too :thumbs up

CyberKitten
January 18th, 2007, 12:24 PM
My cats are never allowed out without being on a leash or in their kitty stroller - or in the back yard enclosure. I do not believe in the concept "outdoor cat". It is like leaving a small child outside and unsupervised. It's unfair, unhealthy, dangerous and extremely bad news to the cat.

Yes, when I was a small child, we allowed our cats outside but they did not roam and we lived in a small community. Still, even then, I marvel at our sheer luck. There were still cars, poisons, other animals who could bite or hurt them, other cats with diseases.

So, no, please do not allow your cats outside unless they are used to a leash which actually most cats adjust very well to esp when started in kittenhood.

Good luck!

heidiho
January 18th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Well as you know there are two ferals i feed(yes boyfriend lost that battle)usually every morning and when i get home they lay by our front door,roxy has seen them and they have seen her,months ago we let them see her up close we held her and stepped outside they could seem to have cared less,roxy was the one to hiss at them..So as far as letting her ever wander outside on her own,that we will never do,i have no idea what they would do if she was to be out there on her own,and there are other strays that come around but get chased off by the 2 i feed,it is there territory and it is rare i see any other cats,except roxys mom who i am told is still there somewhere with her other kitty but i hardly ever see them.My boyfriend is gonna build a window sill for the living room windows so she can sit there,i have new pics i will post tomorrow of her sqeezing in between the jalusy (dont know how to spell it)windows...I think in the end we are just gonna keep her indoors,i just have to stop feeling like guilty that she cant go outside,and i think by walking her we might be starting a problem where she might start running out the door when we open it,as of right now she is really good when we open door.. and i want to keep it that way

heyjude11
January 18th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Don't feel guilty about keeping her inside; think of it as prolonging her life.

heidiho
January 18th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Yeah your right,but she doesnt know that,once he builds her a window sill to sit on,i will feel better.I mean it isnt like when we open door she goes to zoom out,she is being good with that.Could be she doesnt even care to go out there,but that is me obsessing over stupid things,cause i want her to be totally happy,which if you were to see her you would say she is.....Im just a nut thats all...:eek: :eek:

chico2
January 19th, 2007, 08:09 AM
While you are waiting for b/f to build a windowsill,put a table or something there.
I have a desk in fron of my window in my PC-room,it was supposed to be for me to get enough day-light to paint etc...oh well,you can see who's it is now:laughing:

Angie J
January 19th, 2007, 10:00 AM
I've always had indoor/ outdoor cats. My first cat was house trained and only had a litter box for those 'can't wait' moments...or when it was -30 outside.

None of our cats wandered far from the house and were happy to keep within their own territory. When we lived on a main street we trained to cats to stay off the front lawn...Yes, cats are highly trainable! They were happy to explore the back yard and ajoining park land area.

Cats are well adapted to care for themselves outdoors: good reflexes, sharp sences, excellent climbing skills. Never had any roamers or fighters and never lost one to the 'great wide open'.

Angie J

AliSam
January 19th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Josie would love to go outside. Whenever the door is opened, she comes running. We have taken her out twice, once on a leash (which she didn't appreciate) and once we just held her. Otherwise, she is strictly an indoor cat. She snuck out to the back garden once when we let Sam out, but she was quickly herded back in.

RolandsMom
January 19th, 2007, 11:33 AM
We always had outdoor/indoor cats in South Africa. we never lost any of them and although the boys vigorously defended their territory they always came home when i called them, even if they were mid fight!! i now have a new kitten in Calgary and we have him very well trained on a leash. it took about a week. now he loves to go outside and seems pretty content if we take him outside for 20 minutes when we can. (mostly its every day, twice a day) he does get a little restless at times but then he just sits on the speaker at the window and tries to catch his reflection. we do hope that he will be an outdoor cat in the summer but only after he has all his vaccinations and one for feline lukemia which is fatal and not a usual vaccination. (they pic it up from ferrals) so theres an idea. i would say the best thing is to get him used to a leash and as long as he goes regularly and has somewhere to watch outside!
good luck!

jiorji
January 19th, 2007, 12:20 PM
roxy has seen them and they have seen her,months ago we let them see her up close we held her and stepped outside they could seem to have cared less,roxy was the one to hiss at them..

well just because they don't give her attention that doesn't mean that they won't react if she was near them at their level hissing. Or if she enters their territory.

here's a link for building a super comfy cat perch so she can sit by the window:thumbs up
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/diy_kits/article/0,2019,DIY_13787_2274052,00.html

heidiho
January 19th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Well this morning they were at the door so i opened teh bottom window held roxy and the female came to window and for a minute they just looked at each other then roxy hissed at her,bob was just laying there,but then like 10 minutes later i did it agaian and bob came to window they just looked at each other,and that was it,yes bob and the female are very protective of there territory i have seen another red tabby come by and bob was not having it,almost got in a fight but iwent out there and helped him scare her or him away bob is abig guy i am sure he coudl take care of himself but i just wanted to be sure,also our neighborhood well surrounding area isnt the best,and there is one girl who lives in the condos beside us who used to let her dog come to our condos and runa round,so as far as roxy ever going out on her own,not gonna happen,i dont know what the 2 strays would do and dont want to find out,maybe we will try someday the leash thing but i think for now she will stay inside and be happy.

heidiho
January 19th, 2007, 02:01 PM
that is exactly what i am lookin for, thanks

MartiniGIrl
January 19th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Don't feel guilty about keeping her inside; think of it as prolonging her life.

exactly! In indoor cat lives a much longer (and healthier) life.

I have 6 cats. They are indoor cats. In the spring/summertime I will allow them to go outside in my backyard, but only under my strict supervision. My one cat likes to run, so she's always on a leash which she is now used to. She loves roaming around the backyard on her leash.

Please dont allow your cat to roam outside and come and go whenever she pleases. There are just too many dangerous and unhealthy situations for her to get into.

That's my 2 cents.

heidiho
January 19th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I am way to protective of her to ever let her go out on her own,she is everything to me,i know i am doing the right thing and i will get over feeling guilty about not letting her out.Will consider leash but at this point leaning towards leaving things they way they are,indoor 24/7.....

SARAH
January 19th, 2007, 03:37 PM
[QUOTE=jessi76;354521]

some ideas:

http://www.midnightpass.com/kittywalktm.html

Now that one I loved! How cute! Not sure how the kitty would appreciate it, but a nice and safe way to get sme air.

I've had both, mostly outdoor cats, but a couple of indoor ones as well. One indoor cat was in a huge apartment, and the litterbox was kept in the laundry room which was almost the size of a garage! He came with my parents, my brother and I to the little country house we had out in the middle of nowhere, and was allowed free there. He'd climb the ladder with my dad to "help" him fix the roof, run the reindeer off the grounds, and generally just be a cat.

The second was Mischief. A white Persian. She would lie on a chair, lower (geographically speaking) than the human she was looking at, and just size you up with the most incredible amount of disdain :) ... too funny. She went outside on a leash and harness fromshe was a kitten and was perfectly happy with that.

Now Misti, she's got a harness. She's had it on and been outside. Smart me: I tried her outside the first time ... in cold, wet snow! Misti didn't like that too much. She now does not try to go out when we let the dogs out :) I do plan on letting her go outside on leash though, she's too lively to just stay indoors!

My last cat, Spoutnik, was a 100% outdoors cat! No need to try confining him, he'd have scratched a hole in a brick wall to get out! We got him out in the country where he stayed with us for 4 years, then moved to a city, back to the country and he's now in the city again (with my ex). Both city-times living right on a busy street. I'd telll him when I let him out "Don't go on the street!" and he'd turn around and look at me with a "mmrroaw" and walk straight to the street! He somehow knew to wait and watch for cars though. He's 10 years old now, never another accident than getting into fights and getting a paw stuck on some wire (the vet sewed him up, but he didn't want to stay inside for that either, the next day he was up a tree!).

SOme cats are smart and can handle traffic or confinement just fine, others are too dumb to ever know what's good for them. Just like dogs. Just like us.

heyjude11
January 19th, 2007, 03:40 PM
One day I was talking to an acquaintance on the phone. She had her front door open (she lived in a ground floor apt.) and her cat was lying just outside the door. She had her eye on the cat. Another cat came around and in the blink of an eye a terrible fight ensued. Even though her cat had originally been a feral, it was no match for the other cat. After many months of treatment, her cat had to be put down. The cat loved to roam the neighborhood and she just wanted him to be happy. Not a happy ending for either of them.
Having said that, I guess I'm a hypocrite. I too live in an apt., on a higher floor, and have cat-proofed my balcony. My cat absolutely loves to be outdoors in the warm weather and in the summer he sleeps outside. It took me three summers before I was comfortable with this (and finally installed a cat door) but he's never tried to jump up altho' he will stand on his tippy toes to catch bugs. I check up on him often and he's either lying on a chair looking at the sky, or lying on a mat on the floor looking around. I can't imagine, at this point, denying him the outdoors but if he ever tried to jump up on the rail or do something I considered unsafe, that would be the end of outdoors for him. I would never have attempted this when he was a kitten but as he's almost 8 1/2 yrs. old, he's happy just to lay about.

heidiho
January 19th, 2007, 04:12 PM
So hard,where are front door is the sun comes through about 8:00 to 9:30 really bright right on the tile,and she just started laying right in the spot where it does that.Thats when i start feeling bad to cause i know she would love to lay outside in the sun,but it just can never be,i have no idea what those other 2 cats might carry,what they would do to her,and there is a major road right by us,actually it is one of the pics i posted here ahwile ago of the driveway to our place,and like i said neighborhood is not exactly Palm Beach.So she will get a perch to sit on by the window,but we just dont lieve in an area where she can go outside and roam...And i am not even sure how you teach a kitten or cat that cars are bad things and to stay out of the road.She has a great life inside and i am gonna stop feeling like she is so deprived.

CyberKitten
January 19th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Re: Cats are well adapted to care for themselves outdoors: good reflexes, sharp senses, excellent climbing skills. Never had any roamers or fighters and never lost one to the 'great wide open'.

I agree with the 1st sentence and as to the 2nd, I think you and your kitties can chalk that up to luck - and maybe a good neighbourhood. I know that is how I feel about our kitties when I was a child. I think of so many cats who have been killed just by seemingly minor issues not far from their home. They can become spooked and run across the street only to be hit by a passing vehicle. Or someone takes them. I realize I too live in a wonderful community and cannot imagine this happening but it has occurred in other areas like my region so I am not taking any chances. I have neighbours who have cats who go outdoors but they play around their home and sometimes come to mine where they are obviously safe but I worry about them too! I think in part society has changed as well and it may not be as safe for cats as it once was - just as it is seemingly not as safe for children. I say that because in my work I used to see the same kind of issues we now hear about on the news (abused children; seriously assaulted kids) but the difference is the media was not aware of or interested in it. While we still are not as focused on children's issues as I'd like us to be (as a society), we are getting better. But we have a way to go yet, sigh! And of course, there are always new challenges.

Of course we also need to be more pet centric but I am speaking to the converted here.

I believe my cats are extremely smart but they have no chance against a big bad vehicle, some human who seeks to do them harm (esp since they are friendly kitties), poison or airborne or other infections (and while they are all utd on their vaccinations and vet care, there are some viruses and bacteria one still needs to be concerned about). Every time I am tempted to let a cat outside, I reread this:

http://www.siameserescue.org/educate1.html

No good or reputable breeder or Rescue org adopts to people who allow cats outdoors and I think they have good reason. (I admittedly once wondered about the raison d'etre as well but have seen too many sad cases of cats who were killed a few feet from home just because they were outside. I do not think their "owners" (I don't think one can own a cat so I wonder about the use of that term <g>) ever considered that possibility and assumed like Once did that their cats could get out of anything but they are really small, fragile creatures in spite of their resourcefulness, great intelligence and extra senses. Some things can not be overcome no matter how smart a creature is.

heidiho
January 19th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I agree with that.I mean there are cruel people out there.And as far fetched as this might sound it could happen.I live in a tsunami zone which of course can happen anythime,i would hate for the warning to happen and roxy is out somewhere roaming around and i cant find her.I know the chances are slim,but i dont want to be one of those people that think It couldnt happen to me.....I guess what she doesnt know about the outside she cant miss.......

chico2
January 19th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I live on a very busy street and I have seen several dead cats on the road over the years,it's a very sad sight to see,I feel bad about any animal killed on the road,but cats/dogs especially.
I know the cats in my neighborhood and there is one cat especially I feel really sorry for,she lives across the street in a townhouse-complex.
Every day,from 8am-3pm she sits by the door waiting to go in,it can be rain,freezing rain or snow,she still sits there:sad:
The kids come home after 3pm,then she's allowed in for a while.
I have been thinking of posting a note on their door,maybe they are not aware that she just sits there all day:confused: Good idea? Bad idea?
It really bothers me to see her sitting there,sometimes soaking wet and no,I cannot take her to my house,that means she would have to cross a busy street,if she got used to coming here.
They already have lost one cat on the road:sad:

heidiho
January 19th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Yes for sure i would ,that is horrible,dont put who you are on the note if you dont want them to know who wrote it,or if you do either way i say yes.And latley here to there have been lots of dead cats kittens on the main and only freeway here..I could never forgive myself if something happend to her by letting her go out,it woudl be different if we lived upcountry but we dont.....

chico2
January 19th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Heidi,I think you are making the right decision,also I feel people who let their cats roam,don't ever get to know their cats,the way we who are more careful with their lives do.
Chico jumped my fence ones,was gone for 2 hours,hubby and I frantically looked for him and I was at the point of hysteria,when I saw him sitting on our front-porched,tounge hanging out and panting,I don't think he liked it out there,much safer in our backyard with us to protect him:cat:

heidiho
January 19th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Thank you,i am with you on that.I just think hell the 2 strays are always trying to come in our house so it cant be all that out there,and she is my girl,and has plenty of stuff to play with inside,gets swamped with affection and play when we get home til SHE says were done.And i believe that to with her being inside 24/7 brings a cool kind of closeness that if she was to go outdoors we wouldnt have.....

CyberKitten
January 19th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Heidi, I too think you are making the correct decision. Good for you!!

Chico, I'd write a note. You could just sign it Concerned neighbour if you wanted to. Or if you know them and they are OK, sign it as who you are. But I would. I have spoken to my neighbours about their cat not being neutered and while they are well educated people, they had not realized all the benefits (they thought, oh well, he's a male!) to neutering and had not accounted for their contribution (bec he does go outside and while he did not roam, he would have as he grew older!). They were appreciative and he is now neutered. He still goes outside and even tho he does not go too far - and is actually a bit of a fraidy cat - I care for him when they are away and he is an indoor cat then I can tell you. ;)

Still, they need to know...and hopefully they will care. (tho you never know with some ppl - they think cats love being outside all the time. Mine meow and yowl, esp in the winter when the door is open but then with short hair or no hair, who can blame them!) <g>

chico2
January 20th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Thank's girls,I had already made up my mind to leave a note..:)
Hubby tends to feel like many others do,not my cat,not my business.:confused:
But it's gotten to the point,that I watch her all day and when the kids come home,I am relieved,so it bothers me enough to try to do something.
I'll sign it with my name and if the owner wants to talk to me,she can:cat:

badger
January 20th, 2007, 10:12 AM
This is so typical isn't it. Bet he's an unneutered male who started marking inside. Who says cats aren't faithful, even if they're being ignored.
Good luck Chico, I hope you can bring them around. I would suggest a cosy shelter but of course he should be inside.

chico2
January 20th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Badger,no it's a girl-kitty,a beautiful black/white longhaired kitty,their cat that got run over was a male,same colour but more white.
He got quickly replaced by this little one:sad:
I went over there one weekend in the summer and gave her food,thinking they'd left her outside and gone away,that's how I know she's a female,really,really pretty.

Angie J
January 21st, 2007, 08:34 AM
I agree that bad things happen. But if I used that thinking I'd never drive because people die dayly in car accidents.

If I lived in the city I'd probably be of a different thinking, as the dangers are considerably more.

To me a cats natural habitat is outdoors with a dependance on humans and if it's safe within reasonable boundries (no nearby preditors, a quiet street or farm, they have there shots, and are not declawed) there's no reason to confine them at all times.

Personaly, if my cat was tied outside and unable to escape a roving dog I'd be more concerned. That could happen pretty quickly!

Perhaps it is just dumb luck, but 25 yrs and 4 cats later is a pretty stable adverage to bank on.

Angie J

CyberKitten
January 21st, 2007, 10:06 AM
On average, indoor cats live to 15-20. Outdoor cats may live to 5. Yours is an anecdotal experience and I am thrilled that you have been so fortunate. I choose not top rely on luck and like the cancer I deal with in my young patients, I do not fool around with my cat's health or life. I do not mean to scare you but I take this very seriously and refuse to leave it to chance, My cats mean too much to me.

We also used to believe babies did not need to be buckled up. Just as I might say spend one night in an ER with me, I would say to cat owners spend one day at a vet's office where they treat emergencies when cats are brought in after being hit by cars (at 65%, the biggest threat to cats). My vet says she has given up understanding why anyone would allow their cat to run free. I can only nod in agreement when she says this.

Kristin7
January 22nd, 2007, 01:47 PM
I did have an indoor/outdoor cat when I was growing up. I haven't read all the posts, but my opinion is this: I think whether or not to let the cat outside depends on circumstance, such as where one lives and how many dangers might be present, and also the cat itself. Most times, probably it's best to just never let the cat get a taste of the outdoors, as once they go out, they really want to be out there. I live in a city, so only let mine out occasionally in the fenced in backyard under strict supervision. There are too many dangers like cars, dogs, cats, coyotes and people. The cat I had growing up was born in a barn and was wise to dangers. We lived in the country so cars weren't much of an issue. She was capable of avoiding danger and also could live outside if she had too, eating mice, etc. She was indoor/outdoor her entire life and died of kidney failure at the age of 15.

chico2
January 22nd, 2007, 05:00 PM
Kristin,I too had an indoor/outdoor cat growing up,a beautiful big Brown Tabby:love:
One day my mom and I could not find him(in the winter)we followed a blood-trail and kitty-paws and there was my Nalle(swedish for bear),with his head split open.
We were later told,that a boy had kicked him in the head with skates on...to this day I cannot forget Nalles eyes,he died shortly after.:sad:
There are a lot of people out there who would not hesitate to hurt a cat.

Kristin7
January 22nd, 2007, 05:11 PM
I know, I have heard stories! That is terrible! I'm so sorry for your poor childhood cat. Mine wouldnt' get near people she didn't know, thankfully, plus, the areas we lived in, there weren't many people around to begin with. We certainly couldn't skate (no sidewalks, the roads were dirt). There are some really sick people out there, that is for sure. Cats are a big target for torture for some reason.

:offtopic: The sad part about living in the country for me was seeing all the cats dropped off. People just dump them out in the country, thinking they will make their way and be ok, because they are cats. Some were essentially feral, but the saddest were the ones you could tell had been someone's family pet. So scared and wanting to be with people again, but no one wants them. This still breaks my heart to think of, but we had a kitten climb on our roof and down the chimney just desperate to be inside. I had made friends with it in the yard.. My dad made me and my mom drop the poor sooty kitten off at the nearest farm in the rain. Part of me hates him for that to this day and I will feel eternal guilt for being a part of it even though I was only a child and didn't feel like I had a choice.

chico2
January 22nd, 2007, 05:20 PM
I have friends in the country and people still dump cats:sad:
I would love to live in the country,but I am afraid I would end with 30 cats and no husband,he'd be long gone:D

Growing up,my mom and I lived right next to a soccerfield,converted to a skating-rink in the winter,hence the kid with skates:evil:

heidiho
January 22nd, 2007, 05:26 PM
there are just to many things that can happen #1 cruel people # cars # other strays,i love her to much to,she is staying indoors with us