Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my dog won't use the newspaper

DiNKy
January 17th, 2007, 03:09 PM
i am trying to train my 8 week old daschund to go to the bathroom on newspaper; its just too cold right now to walk her. she has no problem going #1 on the paper but refuses to go #2 on it. infact she prefers to go in my kids' bedroom instead. how do i work with her on this?:frustrated:

mafiaprincess
January 17th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Don't give your puppy the freedom to go anywhere you aren't, Leash the dog to you if you have to so you can catch her in the act. If you can't watch the dog you need a crate, xpen etc to safely contain her till you can actively watch her again.

DiNKy
January 17th, 2007, 04:11 PM
thanks for the advice:thumbs up

Purpledomino
January 17th, 2007, 04:51 PM
You live in Texas? It can't possibly be too cold for your dog to learn to do his business outside, considering that is where you want him to go. I live in north/central Alberta, and have a Minpin that goes outside even when it is EXTREMELY cold out. Mind you....she does NOT dilly dally around out there when it is -20 or less, just out....poop....and in. She is always on a leash, and always watched, then briskly swept back into the warm house. Sometimes, when it is very cold, two trips are in order to take care of all the bases ;) Sometimes she wears a sweater, sometimes not. I just believe that if you eventually want your pup to use the outdoors as his toilet, you should offer no other options. Crating is a god-send when it comes to house-training a puppy. And keep that puppy near you supervised in the house always. Learn your puppies cues when he will need to go....like after feeding, after coming out of his crate, etc. Praise, and more praise when he goes where you want. Expect a LOT of trips outside, and also alot of accidents. If you are diligent and patient, your dog will eventually get it.

P.S. --> another trick I learned from a friend. I hung a small bell to the doorknob of the door that I'd be using to take my dog out. Every time I took her out to do her thing, that bell would ring when the door opened. It didn't take any time at all until she associated the bell to going outside, and she started whacking that bell everytime she needed to go. Trouble was, I created a monster, and she rings her bell if she needs to pee/poo, watch the birds, play outside, or dig around in the snow! Talk about a spoiled dog.:queen:

DiNKy
January 17th, 2007, 08:35 PM
i think i'll try crate training. eventhough i do live in south texas, right now temperature is in the low 30s, and that may not be cold to anyone up north but i think its freezing. i did try to take Flower out in the cold to do her business, but she just stood by my legs shivering. plus Flower only weighs about one pound, and shes sick, so i dont want to take her outside until shes better.:sick:

OntarioGreys
January 17th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Parts of Texas can get quite cold and they get snowstorms as well, Nikki was my winter puppy "an american eskimo" well coated for cold weather and as a pup she hated it and all she would do outside was sit on my boots and cry as refuse to go. Even now at 9 years old does not like it if wet snow is coming done, she loves to play in snow just not when it is falling on her and if raining or sleet will hold for 18 hours just to avoid going outside. My chinese crested pup who is hairless enjoys going outside rain or snow but does wear a fleece playsuit to help keep him warmer and drier
The point is different dogs different personalities some may never enjoy going out in less than ideal weather.
She is 8 weeks old so very young, and still very much in the learning stage, too young to expect perfect potty training yet, leash training should be helpful to teach her where you want her to go. And do expect accidents, often when playing they will forget to go to the paper till too late, and then pee near where they are, it is just part of being a puppy, it takes several months of bladder and bowel control to develop just like with babies and toddlers