Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nerve damage in front leg

darneson1
January 17th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Hi,
Zeke, our Australian Cattle Dog/Healer mix (64 lbs.) was struck by a truck. Aside from the bruises, abrasions and bumps, he has suffered nerve to his right front leg. Our vet did a wonderful job by showing up and taking care of him (and us!) at 9:30 PM in this emergency situation. The vet seems to think that the nerve was not severed so therefore damage is not permanent. He gave us instruction to flex the paw and upper joint so that tendons wouldn't stiffen and keep the leg drawn up and said that only time would tell if Zeke regains 100 % mobility. It has been almost 2 weeks and Zeke is attempting to walk but cannot put his full weight on the leg and has to limp badly. The vet didn't want to prescribe a brace or support so that Zeke would use the leg. Maybe I haven't given it enough time but I'm ready to order a brace or support so that Zeke can get around better. It's horrible watching him limp the way he has to yet I don't want to inhibit any healing. Has anyone experienced this situation and what did you do? Thanks

t.pettet
January 17th, 2007, 11:02 PM
If you could get him into short swims in a pool on a daily basis that would be the best physio without putting weight on the leg until its stronger.

darneson1
January 18th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the reply. It's a great idea...unfortunately, 1. we don't have access to a pool and 2. Zeke is deathly afraid of water.

mummummum
January 19th, 2007, 11:58 PM
I may have misread but, exactly how was nerve damage diagnosed ? And were any anti-inflammatory or pain relief drugs prescribed?