Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for puppy training tips website

crazyforcats
January 17th, 2007, 10:14 AM
I am the very proud owner of an 11-week old Shih Tzu cross (crossed with Bichon, Lhaso Apso, and Chihuahua. I have not had a canine in my home for almost 20 years, and have never had the priviledge of actually training a pet. I've always had my wonderful cats. So dogs and puppy training is all very new to me.

I don't necessarily have any one question right now, since we're dealing with house-training, barking while confined, biting when playing, walking on a leash (sometimes refuses to walk, so I have to carry her - a small feat when I have to manouver a double stroller with one hand), not coming when called... to name a few.

What I'd love is to find a website that gives good tips and advice on training and raising puppies. I know there are tons out there, and I've visited hundreds of them over the last few days - alot are not very helpful. I'd like to find one or two reliable and informative websites to refer to when I have an issue as they arise.

Thanks to anyone who helps me out!

tenderfoot
January 17th, 2007, 12:00 PM
The very latest podcast (#9) on Pets.ca is all about bringing new puppies home. Its about 30 mins so get a good cup of cocoa to enjoy while listening, hopefully it will help. Yes, its me talking - try to ignore the hems & haws and you might find some helpful information.

Also the book - 'Puppies for Dummies' or 'Dogs for Dummies' are great. They can really give you a good picture to get off to a good start. Anything by Ian Dunbar or Bruce Fogle is great. Ian even provides a free download to his book 'Before you Get Your Puppy' at his Sirius website or at www.jamesandkenneth.com.