Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Boots for a rottweiler

Rottielover
January 17th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Hi guys.
Well today is the real first day of winter, and harley seems to be alot more sensitive this year than last year with his feet. He is an active dog, and we wanted to start sled pulling, but can not do so with the cold hurting him so much. Do any of you have any reccomendations of great boots that will fit a rottweiler, and stay on.
do not want to keep dishing out money for new pairs....
Any help will be appreciated. Thank you

technodoll
January 17th, 2007, 08:29 AM
i heard Muttlucks were the BEST! :thumbs up prin has some for her furries...

Frenchy
January 17th, 2007, 11:40 AM
i heard Muttlucks were the BEST! :thumbs up prin has some for her furries...

I bought some at the vet 2 years ago. They're for large dogs so I guess they would fit a Rottie. Your best bet is to go to a vet.

Rottielover
January 17th, 2007, 11:44 AM
ok at lunch we bought the muttluks. Lg too small, xl alittle big, so we had no choice but to do XL, alittle wide near the toe. I wish I had a camera

Prin
January 17th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Yeah, too big is better. You don't want to bend the nails back. What color did you get? Did you get the fleece-lined winter ones or the "all weather" yellow ones? Ooo it's so exciting! :D :o

Rottielover
January 17th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I got the fleece lined winter ones, they only had black, I would have liked to have blue, but it is for his sanity. At least I think so, he does not agree right now, LOL
I will be getting a cheap digi cam soon. will have to take pics. He had a boot on when his toe was amputated last year, so he does not like it. bad association I think

mafiaprincess
January 17th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Careful you don't loose them if they are too big. It's why we had to return our pink ones. Even walking indoors with the straps as tight as possible they slide off. I lost Cider's puppy boots in countless snowbanks due to sliding too.

Prin
January 17th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Cool... It's always a trade-off because if Harley's black, you won't notice when he loses a boot as easily, but then the black boot in the snow will be really easy to find.

They shouldn't fall off because the feet splay pretty well so they'd be wider at the bottom than at the top. When the paw is the same size as the wrist, then it's hopeless.:D

coppperbelle
January 17th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Okay, here I go again. Where did you guys find Muttlucks around Montreal? I have found them in the states but not here.
Can you tell me how much they cost here so I can compare whether it is better to buy them here or in the U.S. They are $35.00 online.

Rottielover
January 17th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I just paid 49.99 at woofers for harleys boots, cheaper than reveil du maitre I believe, but both stores carry them

Prin
January 17th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Depends on the size... I got Boo's at Nutriville in Laval for $50- $55... Reveil du maitre has them (as Rottielover said). I got my dad's dog some for Christmas (x-small- $45) at the Pointe Claire store. They have lots of them there. If food stores are any indication, the south shore is seriously lacking.. :o Oo Little bear might have them... maybe? And that might be closer...

downloader
January 17th, 2007, 10:40 PM
:)
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/Harrytruman/snowdog4.jpg

www.bluewhippet.net

Prin
January 17th, 2007, 10:45 PM
They look so big, but I bet they're small, right? :D

Scott_B
January 18th, 2007, 07:07 AM
:thumbs up

http://houndsaroundtown.com/style/boots.html

Some nice looking boots there!

Rottielover
January 18th, 2007, 07:16 AM
hey Prin, when you take off the boots, do your dogs lick their paws. I want to make sure I am not putting it too tight. As soon as they are off harley starts licking

Lissa
January 18th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Dodger gets the zoomies whenever I take his booties off!:p

But seriously, muttlucks are pretty user-friendly in that that are easier to put on and generally stay on (if they are the right size)... But they are nowhere near waterproof IMO. So it wouldn't surprise me if Harley is either licking the sweat off his pads or any water that has been absorbed by the boots.

Can't wait to see pics of Harley and his booties!

OntarioGreys
January 18th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Ouch some of the prices, I bought a pair 3 years ago that is still in fantastic condition, was about $20 for the set a combo of fleece with rubber sole and toe cap, only thing is I have no idea who it is made by :o

but a cheap place to buy is from Dogbooties though I would recommend buying with the VELSTRETCH® as the closure

http://dogbooties.com/dogbooties.html