Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Short car ride with a new cat?

megan_in_pink
January 17th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Well we might be getting a cat alot sooner then planed (big change in travel plans, my dad is no longer going to NJ or it pushed back by a 3 to 4 weeks) Now we might go sunday to the SPCA to look for a cat, last time we got a cat from tehre they give us this cardboard box and the cat was flipping out in car ride hom, it is like 15-20 mins ride.

I want to make the new cat more comfy on her/his ride home. I was thinking going to get a cage and some blankets to put in the cage and one to cover the cage up for when we have to walk outside if it is cold that day.

Is this a good idea and if anyone has any other tips can you please give them to me.

Bushfire2000
January 17th, 2007, 09:15 AM
That sounds like a good idea.
A crate is much more secure than a cardboard box and covering it with a blanket will give the cat a feeling of security(cold out or not).
However beware of sharp claws poking out of the crate if the cat does get upset. Having a crate to transport your pet is always a good idea(IOM) it will be useful for those nesasary trips to the vet. Or for any outing with your pet. It prevents cats/dogs from wandering under pedels while your driving or from causing distractions that could lead to accidents. Nothing more unerving than slaming on the brakes to avoid a colision and having a cat fly past your shoulder and hit the windshield ( and yes it does happen).

Inisfad
January 17th, 2007, 10:09 AM
A wire cage is a very very good idea. Cats are notoriously bad auto passengers. And the cage will be good when you bring your net pet into the house, to introduce her to other pets or her new environment from the safety of her cage. I have a big cage just for that purpose and I couldn't live without it.