Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

self-adhesive vinyl tiles

SarahLynn123
January 16th, 2007, 08:51 PM
So we are renovating our kitchen and are looking into flooring. Tiles will take us forever and this reno has already taken months!

Has anyone used the self adhesive tiles or formed an opinion or concern about them?

Im wondering about the cleaning, I would imagine when you sweep, crumbs and of course hair would build up around the tiles, plus wouldn't washing the floor cause tiny bits of water between the tiles? Or are they so close together that these are not issues?

Thanks for anyones idea's and inputs.

wdawson
January 16th, 2007, 09:24 PM
i think its best to take your time and do the reno the right way and not rush,i would go with ceramic tiles....yes they can be cold but wear well and are easy to clean,downside is cleaning the grout......second would be a laminate wood floor,scratch resistance is good its easy to clean,the only downside is you will need a very good underlay to absorb sound,if you cheap out on that you will find the room sounds empty....stay away from peel and stick if you can.........just my 2 cents.

brandynva
January 16th, 2007, 09:28 PM
We used peel and stick in the kids playroom, my daughter's room and the hallway. As far as stuff getting in the crevices, I don't find it an issue. However, I'm not sure how they would hold up in a high traffic environment like a kitchen. We are considering using them, but getting the high end stuff. I don't know yet. I would like to use the laminate hardwood, but I don't think the budget will allow for it. Anything is better than the nasty lime green and yellow 70's throwback that is in there now though. I agree with Dawson, in a high traffic area you are probably wiser to invest a little more and get something more durable. Good luck! :thumbs up

dogcatharmony
January 16th, 2007, 09:51 PM
I used peel and stick tiles in my kitchen.....what a disaster! They have peeled up near the door from moisture, in the summer they peel up where the sun warms them and if any dirt gets under.......might as well pull up that tile and chuck it. I am looking at laying laminate next year, i would take the time and choose something else.

SarahLynn123
January 16th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Well that settles it then!

Thanks everyone!

We were also considering linoleum and will probably go with that then (unless anyone has bad experiences with that too!). I dont think we have the patience to put in tile right now as we are not the handiest people around!!

Thanks again for everyones comments!

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Well that settles it then!

Thanks everyone!

We were also considering linoleum and will probably go with that then (unless anyone has bad experiences with that too!). I dont think we have the patience to put in tile right now as we are not the handiest people around!!

Thanks again for everyones comments!

This house had both peel-and-stick tiles and linoleum in it. The linoleum is great! It holds up well to the traffic of 6 dogs, is easy to clean, and looks nice (it's a glossy, no-wax flooring so I only have to mop with water, then strip and repolish once a year). :thumbs up

The peel-and-stick tiles, on the other hand, are coming up from moisture in the basement and the bathroom...:yuck:

I love the linoleum so much, I'm considering replacing both the tiles and the small amount of carpeting we have with linoleum. :D

Prin
January 16th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Definitely ceramic. Stick on tiles are nearly the same price as ceramic and don't last as long and are a huge pain to remove when you change your mind...

If you need any verbally help with the ceramic, we're semi-pros by now, lol.

For the grout, you can buy sealer for $50 (for a teeny jug), and brush it on the grout to make it less likely to get dirty. I prefer darker grout because it stays visibly clean longer...

What we did too, in our ollllld house, is screw down the floor every 6 inches into the joists... It stops it from moving too much and prevents the tiles from cracking from normal house movement.:shrug: