-->

Supporting Canadian music talent

Maya
January 16th, 2007, 02:26 PM
http://www.musiccreators.ca/a_new_voice.php

Thoughts opinions?

Prin
January 16th, 2007, 02:30 PM
The government should use other policy tools to support actual Canadian artists and a thriving musical and cultural scene.

I know more about Canadian tv shows than music, but I think that might be what hinders the industry here... For tv shows, they are only considered "Canadian" if they have a certain number of points based on the major players being Canadian. I forget the actual numbers, but you get a certain number of points if the director is Canadian, producer, lead actors, etc and if enough people are Canadian, then it can be considered a Canadian film/tv show.

In music, because we're limited as far as huge labels go (as far as I know), musicians are forced to go elsewhere and that might make them unCanadian in the eyes of the govt somehow. :shrug:

Maya
January 16th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I think if a band considers themselves Canadian or anything else and doesn't mind if people share and distribute their music, the government should support their decision to allow it. I get a bit bogged down by the politics of it but it just doesn't seem right to me to turn people into criminals for file sharing. It's almost like saying we shouldn't have libraries because then people won't purchase books anymore.

erykah1310
January 16th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I get a bit bogged down by the politics of it but it just doesn't seem right to me to turn people into criminals for file sharing. It's almost like saying we shouldn't have libraries because then people won't purchase books anymore.

EXACTLY!!!:thumbs up Great point!