Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A prayer for pal, Mal

Inisfad
January 16th, 2007, 02:47 PM
My 18 year old cat, Mallory, is in the hospital tonight, and I'm worried and need to vent....so here I am. When I first moved here, Mallory was my first pet. She was actually from the adjacent farm, and came to visit and just decided never to go home. The woman who owned her didn't mind at all (was probably happy) I neutered her right away (she was about 7 years old at the time!) and Mallory 'milked' her recuperation for a week, soaking up all sorts of attention, etc. The story that best describes her is something that happened before I met her. First, I must preface this by saying it is only recently that any of my neighbors have begun neutering their pets. Prior to that they (ugh) would put their kittens in a bag and drown them in the bay. Years ago, Mallory had a litter of kittens. Her owner (Anne) searched for them for a couple of days, and finally found them tucked away in a shed. She put them all in a bag, and walked down to the bay and hurled them in. Mallory had followed her to the bay, and when she saw the bag with her babies hurled into the water, she paddled out into the bay to try to get to them. She wasn't successful, of course. That was her last litter. But in the future, when the other cats in the farm had kittens, Mallory would pick them up and hide them from Anne. I've got a ton of other great stories about her antics since she's been with me; she's been very special, indeed.
Tonight is the first night she has been away from me, since she first came to visit 10 years ago. I'm not quite sure what to expect, as she's old and ill (vet is running tests to see what's wrong), and I know that a time will come when she's no longer a part of my day to day life. She has been a trusting, loyal and loving friend, and I would like anyone who reads this just to say a little prayer tonight for Mallory. I believe in the strength of collective prayers, and I hope that if anyone up there is listening, He understands that I'm not quite ready to let go yet. Thanks.

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2007, 02:53 PM
:grouphug: Sorry to hear that Mallory is ailing. :fingerscr I hope the vet can find something out for you and Mal can get some effective treatments! She sounds like a very special soul. :goodvibes:

How long will you have to wait for results to come back? The waiting is always the worst part... :grouphug:

Frenchy
January 16th, 2007, 02:55 PM
I'm so sorry :sad: I will light a candle tonight for her :candle: don't give up hope :grouphug:

Hunter's_owner
January 16th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Sorry to hear. I hope everything will be okay. :goodvibes: :pray: :grouphug:

Shamrock
January 16th, 2007, 03:18 PM
:candle: My prayers and postive thoughts go out to your Mallory.

She has truly has been blessed with a wonderful and long life. For those who love them so completely, who have shared our lives with them, the prospect of parting with our loving companions brings great fear to the heart:grouphug:

I hope she will rebound and recover from this setback, cats can be amazingly resilient at any age.:fingerscr and I send my best wishes to you.
Please keep us posted on your dear girl.

Inisfad
January 16th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Some of the tests should be back by morning.:fingerscr

cpietra16
January 16th, 2007, 04:02 PM
:fingerscr I am sending you all the good vibes......
http://bestsmileys.com/stars/2.gif

dogcatharmony
January 16th, 2007, 04:06 PM
my thoughts and prayers are with you and your beloved Mallory. I hope for the best:candle:

Maya
January 16th, 2007, 04:16 PM
:candle: Prayers for more cherished time with her.

Prin
January 16th, 2007, 04:55 PM
:fingerscr I hope she's ok. :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

jawert1
January 16th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Sending good thoughts your way for you and Mal both :grouphug: :goodvibes:

TeriM
January 16th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Fingers and paws crossed for a good outcome for Mal. Their tiny footprints are all over our hearts and it is so tough to see them ill. Hugs to you both :grouphug: .

rainbow
January 16th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Positive thoughts and prayers being sent to you and Mallory. :fingerscr :pray: :goodvibes:

Good luck and keep us posted. :grouphug:

Winston
January 16th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Positive thoughts going out to you tonight!

Cindy
:candle:

Inisfad
January 17th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Thank you all so much for your good wishes and prayers. Just got off the phone with the vet. I'm going to pick Mallory up now. She's doing well, has been rehydrated and had an infected tooth removed. Her bloodwork, specifically kidney function, which I was really worried about, has come back all clear. She's a feisty little thing at 18, and I'm glad that I'm going to have more time with her. Of course, the next few days will be chasing her around trying ot get antibiotics in her, etc., but I'm actually looking forward to that. It's far better than what I thought might have been the conclusion to this. Anyway, I really appreciate everyone's positive support. This is a great website, with tons of great people and I'm glad I found it. Thank you all.!:cloud9:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 17th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Good to hear Mallory is doing well - I hope you have many more happy years with her - that is so sad about her kittens and here paddling out to rescue them, what an amazing mom :sad: - I couldnt imagine just throwing them in the lake :sad: ...that is why is so important to spay and neuter animals. :)

Hunter's_owner
January 17th, 2007, 08:23 AM
That is great news:) You must feel very relieved. Thanks for the update:thumbs up

happycats
January 17th, 2007, 08:50 AM
I am so happy that Mal is okay!!:cat: :love:

I have an 18 (going to be 19 this spring) year old cat and I know just how you feel.
I can't imagine my life without him, he has been there since I left home!!

Give Mal a big smootch for me!!:grouphug:

badger
January 17th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Great news. She will be so happy to get home. I'm betting that infected tooth was what threw her for a loop.

hazelrunpack
January 17th, 2007, 10:20 AM
What good news to start out the morning! I'm so happy for you and Mal! :grouphug: Thanks for posting back with the report! :thumbs up

dogcatharmony
January 17th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Way to go Mallory!!! Glad to hear she is doing well. Give her a smooch for me.:cat:

Inisfad
January 17th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Just to let you all know she's home and better than ever. I have spent the past month following her around with every variety of cat food and human food imaginable to get her to eat. I had had her at the vet at this time, and the vet saw an ulcer in her mouth and thought that was the problem, which had been dealt with with antibiotics, but Mallory still wouldn't eat well. She was so nasty to the vet (she's a feisty old thing) that she never let the vet take a really good look in her mouth. This infected tooth was all the way in the back. Anyway, today is the first time Mal has eaten an entire pouch of cat food in one sitting, without me petting, singing and doing all sorts of tricks to get her to eat. I think she's going to be ok. Thanks again to all of you.

Prin
January 17th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Woo!!! That's great! What a tough old kitty! :highfive: :highfive: :goodvibes:

jiorji
January 17th, 2007, 12:39 PM
:cloud9: Mal:lovestruck: :pawprint:
welcome home kitty!

Frenchy
January 17th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I'm very glad Mal is back home ! :thumbs up Good luck with the meds ! :eek:

cpietra16
January 17th, 2007, 03:23 PM
[QUOTE=Inisfad;353886] She was so nasty to the vet (she's a feisty old thing) that she never let the vet take a really good look in her mouth. [QUOTE]

I'm glad to hear Mal is Ok....by the way, when a cat reaches 18 years of age she is allowed to be as nasty as she pleases....It's rule #34 in "How to live with a Cat" :D

rainbow
January 17th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Great news to hear Mallory is okay. :highfive: The infected tooth was no doubt causing her a lot of pain and that's why she would be nasty with the vet. Glad it's out now and she is able to eat again. :thumbs up

Maya
January 17th, 2007, 07:26 PM
:highfive: Good girl.

I keep thinking of how she tried to save her kittens, what a tough little angel she is. I'm so happy you can have more time together.:goodvibes:

Inisfad
January 18th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Ugh! My life has become an emotional roller coaster, replete with every brand of cat food imaginable, warm, cool, with milk, with cream, on and on!. Yesterday was great, Mallory ate like there was no tomorrow. Today, she won't look at a thing. I have opened 8 tins of cat food - all different flavors, a tin of tuna, roasted a turkey leg (her favorite), scrambled an egg, etc. I imagine she feels terrible with the pulled tooth (I had one done last week and I know its not too pleasant). Of course, I can't rinse her mouth with salt water, etc. I gave her a small dose of pain killer about 90 minutes ago, hoping that it will help, did her antibiotics early this morning. I can't give her a pill, as she has a really wicked (and fast) left hook that never misses, so the vet gave me liquid and I syringe a little into the side of her mouth. If anyone could see through my window, they would think I'm nuts! Anyway, hopefully tomorrow will be better. It's just so depressing - yesterday I felt great, and today I'm black as a bag. I called the vet and she said to give it a day or two, but it always terrifies me when Mallory doesn't eat.

Hunter's_owner
January 18th, 2007, 09:36 AM
That is terrible, sorry you are having more trouble. But yeah, just stick with it, and she will eat when she is hungry and starts to feel a little better:grouphug:

badger
January 18th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Are you giving her pain meds regularly? Once in awhile is probably not doing the trick. Even if she's eating, I would give her as much as she's allowed, at the intervals recommended by the vet. The antibiotics may also be affecting her stomach, so try not to worry.

Inisfad
January 18th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Just got off the phone with the vet who said that possibly because she ate so much yesterday (a whole big tin of food from 5PM til bedtime - she couldn't get enough and I was really happy and hoped that it would continue!) she may be full today, and plus the trauma of having the tooth removed. I've given her the last dose of pain med about 3 1/2 hours ago, but the vet told me to be careful with it, and hold off til tomorrow. Mallory has always been very dramatic - she lay by the fireside for 1 week in a lump, after being spayed, so maybe I should be patient. But this eating thing with her has gone on for such a long time, and I always have this undercurrent of fear that I'm not doing the right thing, or should be doing something else. Anyway, she's laying on her pillow in front of the fire now and looks nice and comfy, so I'll stop my bombardment of different dishes of different smelling food for a while and see what happens later this evening. Ugh. Wouldn't it be great if things alwayswent nice and smoothly?:sad:

Shamrock
January 18th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I'm so happy to know your Mallory is now back at home, what great news!

My continued good wishes for your dear girl as she recovers.:goodvibes: Hopefully she'll continue to do well, and pick up on her eating soon.

Inisfad
January 18th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Ok, just a wee update. Maybe I've been too intense!! All evening I've been worried as Mallory hadn't eaten all day. I put a pouch of food down next to her, and petted her and sang to her and all sorts of things to try to cajole her to eat. Nothing. She gave me a nasty look and turned her back on the bowl. I got so frustrated, I just left the bowl there and walked away. I got onto the computer, and got lost in a website for a while, and about an hour later I got up to go do something, and was stopped in my tracks. There was Mallory, the little devil, in her chair shoveling food down like there's no tomorrow. Hallelujah! I think I'm just an overly concerned mommy, and maybe the worst is over. She's nasty enough (ok, maybe independent is a better word) to try to say to me 'don't force me to eat, I'll eat when I want to!' Anyway, thank you all for your kind support in this, as I had no one else to communicate with on this. All my neighbors are farmers and don't have a 'pet' attitude toward cats or dogs. Cats are for keeping the rats away, dogs are for herding sheep, and no animal is to live in a house. That's why they invented sheds!! And now, one last question (completely off the subject) in case anyone else reads this. What does LOL mean? I see it all over this website and don't have a clue! Lot's of Luck? Little old Lady? Beats me!

chico2
January 18th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Inisfad,this is the first I read of Mallory and I am sooo glad she's eating again:cat:
Her story was sooo sad it had me tearing,what a brave little girl,but very lucky she found you:lovestruck:
and LOL means"laughing out loud".
I too have one cat on medication(hyperthyroidism)he is 10 yrs old and like a very worried mom,I give him first a teaspoon of food with a crushed pill in it,then the rest of his food.
It has now become a habit,that I sit with Rocky,while he eats and it works great.
Good luck with the old girl,hopefully she'll have at least a couple of more years+with you:fingerscr

Inisfad
January 18th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Chico thanks for the LOL thing. I've been wracking my brain for days and never would have come up with laughing out loud. HA! And thanks for the good thoughts too. And good thoughts back to Rocky, also.

Maya
January 18th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Some kitty's also get really tempted by engevita yeast sprinkled on their food and it helps prevent fleas and adds lots of nutrients too.

you'll also see ROFLMAO=Rolling on Floor Laughing My Ass Off. And ROFL=Rolling On Floor Laughing.:)