Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

crate question

shelleyb
January 16th, 2007, 12:57 PM
this may not be in the right section but I was wondering, I have read about the importance of having your dog/pup sleep in the same room as you. Our 6 month old GR sleeps in a crate in our son's bedroom.She has the room to herself. (our son sleeps in the basement as he waits for my husband to finish the bedroom down there) She is across the hall from us and our daughter's room. She has slept in there since almost day one. She had bonded with everyone in the family (altho she adores my son and my husband). She has a crate on the main floor that she goes into when we go to work or out. But the one upstairs is for bedtime. At night when she's come in from going pee (around 10 pm) she will wait at the stairs for me, I tell her bedtime and she races up the stairs ahead of me, once she gets to the top she waits for me and then we walk to 'her' bedroom and she gets in her crate and I give her her treat and tell her goodnight and close the door. (she has a radio on in there)

She is a very loving, sweet, crazy puppy. Are we wrong to be putting her to bed in her own room like that?

Hunter's_owner
January 16th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Sounds like it is working wonderfully. I don't see anything wrong with it:shrug:

jessi76
January 16th, 2007, 01:05 PM
no, it's not wrong.

Why fix it if it aint broke? (or so to say) if it works for you, works for the dog, everyone is happy and healthy, let it be. don't change now, it could cause unnecessary stress.

some people prefer to have the dog in their room, some prefer not to. some dogs really need that reassurance and bonding time, some don't. if your dog gets bonding time other ways, through training, play, daily routine, I wouldn't worry one bit.