Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Questions to ask breeder before buying a puppy?

Daisy2943
January 15th, 2007, 07:24 PM
I have been looking for a female cocker spaniel for about a week now and i keep forgetting to ask questions that i should and having to decide no on the dog because they didn't meet the standards that im looking for. Here are the questions I have come up with and i would love people to add if they have ones that ive left out

Can i see her parents pedigree bare mininum of 4 generations?
Are her parents hips and eyes certified and what grade are they?
Would i be able to have a tour of your puppy kennel?
How many litters has the female had and how many turned out to be champions? (im planning on showing the female)
How many years expierence do you have?
Do you belong to the AKC kennel registry?
Are your cocker spaniels kept inside or outside?
What is the number of the vet so i can contact him/her?

I found the cutest female a brown and tan but her parents turned out to have 3 ancestors in common. So disapointed, however the breeder said inbreeding can occur if its among certain relatives. I believe its untrue but i just want to make sure. Its so hard to find a reputable breeder.

LavenderRott
January 15th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Inbreeding is not uncommon. Sometimes a dog with a strong feature that is desirable is used frequently (but carefully) Don't automatically discount a dog that has inbreeding in the pedigree - instead ask the breeder (if it was their breeding) why they used that dog/dogs so often. Now, if the only reason that these dogs/dog were used so frequently was because it was the house stud - then run.

Make sure that YOU know the genetic issues with the breed and what tests can be run to see that breeding stock is free of them. Then, be sure that you know where to go and check to see that the breeder has submitted any vet tests (or x-rays) to the proper authority to be graded.

BOTH parents should be titled and have temperment testing done. I prefer to see an obedience title after the dogs' names and a CH in front.

Personally, if I have to ask for a tour of the kennel, I wouldn't be buying a puppy from this person. All the reputable breeders that I know have their dogs in the house with them and they are active with the family.

Now, I don't mean to offend but you have 3 dogs under the age of 3 and it seems to me that you were having behavioural issues a month ago. Do you really want to add yet another puppy to this mix?

downloader
January 15th, 2007, 08:59 PM
A good breeder will be asking you the questions and asking you for the references. I know breeders with wait lists of over two years. Good luck

Daisy2943
January 15th, 2007, 09:02 PM
If you check my other posts youll learn a lot why. Summary Gypsy went to a new home with the vet after getting parvo from her mother. Her mother and her father have been put down because of the degree of parvo and their owner has been charged with animal neglect and so on. Gypsy is doing awesome. Charlie just won his first best in show and works with a trainer 3 times a week and i reinforce it. I had a miscarriage 3 days ago, my 3rd one, and I'm going to go ahead a show dogs. I have children, my dogs, and a human one comes along when it happens. I'm going to get into dog showing and later on maybe breed ( if both dogs pass health tests such as hips eyes and knees. and don't have anything genetic wrong with them and are a great specimen of the breed ) My husband and i just bought a new home, a ranch i took some persuasion but i talked my husband into it with lots of acreage. I ordered a agility course online and i really want to see if my dogs enjoy doing it. Im talking to some people involved with cocker spaniel rescues and plan on getting involved in february when charlie is finsihed with his training sessions. This is the plan. Ive wanted to show GSD since i was little but ive learned that big dogs aren't for me so i will admire GSD from the sidelines not in my backyard.

Daisy2943
January 15th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Also Lavendarott i don't know any reputable cocker breeders so im trying to do my research

~michelle~
January 15th, 2007, 09:09 PM
sorry to hear about gypsy and your loss. :sad: gat to hear about the trainer though and good luck on the showing, i dont know what you're supposed to ask breeders, but great to hear your doing such research!

LavenderRott
January 15th, 2007, 09:14 PM
If you go to AKC's website, you can find the list of shows in Ohio (I know that there is a big UKC show in Novi, Mi. this weekend and the Detroit Kennel Club show is in March, I believe) and go to shows.

Don't limit yourself to a local breeder. The breeder that I want a dog from is in Idaho. If you want to show, then you need to get the best dog available and that might just mean driving.

And you most certainly should ask questions of your breeder! And the breeder should ask you a ton of questions too. After all, the breeder put a lot of thought and time into those babies and want only the best for them.

Daisy2943
January 15th, 2007, 09:52 PM
I saw a lot of breeders in MO that im looking at but im having my doubts.

OntarioGreys
January 15th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Being you are trying to get into the business I would recommend going into a co-ownership of a a pup with a show breeder so that they can help teach you and be your mentor, just because you have a male even if he becomes titled does not mean he would make an appropriate sire for your future female, There is a lot to learn especially about genetics,and you need a teacher to help you, and this is a good way to find one.

mafiaprincess
January 15th, 2007, 10:02 PM
You are asking the wrong health questions. HD has been nearly bred out. I don't care if parents are honestly OFA hip much anymore. I want to know everything about everything on their knees. LCP, and OFAing the knees, are there slips?
Cockers have 15 eye issues... Most cocker breeders I looked at weren't CERF eyes.. when they were, they had issues. Then there's the blood disorders..

Common ancestry is no reason to discount a breeder, if they know their lines. If done right they bring out awesome qualities. If done wrong, hell can break loose.

In all honesty, I don't see many people worth much selling you a show bitch unless under an extremely tight co ownership contract, because you have an unaltered male. If you can title that dog, get your name known in cocker circles, more is possible... Currently, it's awfully hard to find a good cocker breeder at all at all, let alone locally to you. Many breeders may not be comfy selling a show girl out to someone they don't know. And it can take months to cultivate a friendship and bond.

I'm likely flying in a pup from NC to Ontario because I couldn't find anyone even sort of local I respected, but it looks like I have already made a life long friendship in 3 or so months. Especially having a show pup, it really will be a relationship a little like inlaws where you keep in contact. Need to like the breeder for that.

LavenderRott
January 15th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I saw a lot of breeders in MO that im looking at but im having my doubts.

Even with all of the puppymills in Pennsylvania, Missouri is still the puppymill capital of the U.S..

Do NOT base your search on the internet! Go to the shows. Meet the people who are WINNING. THAT is where you want to start your search.

mafiaprincess
January 15th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Do NOT base your search on the internet! Go to the shows. Meet the people who are WINNING. THAT is where you want to start your search.

That's some of the best advice out there. Lot of breeders don't like the internet, lack the skills to make a web site by themselves, need to pay to have it updated.. and may not bother.
I had to meet people to meet more people to find someone I wanted to talk to. Internet alone leaves out a lot of breeders that are in real life alone. Also I've found a lot of lies on sites. While you can go and see who is testing what on the OFA site if they sent it in.. I doubt a lot of people bother, they see health testing and say cool.. Found some people were lying about what dogs were champions.. what dogs were tested for what. Can be easy to make a nice looking site with false info.

LavenderRott
January 15th, 2007, 11:00 PM
That's some of the best advice out there. Lot of breeders don't like the internet, lack the skills to make a web site by themselves, need to pay to have it updated.. and may not bother.
I had to meet people to meet more people to find someone I wanted to talk to. Internet alone leaves out a lot of breeders that are in real life alone. Also I've found a lot of lies on sites. While you can go and see who is testing what on the OFA site if they sent it in.. I doubt a lot of people bother, they see health testing and say cool.. Found some people were lying about what dogs were champions.. what dogs were tested for what. Can be easy to make a nice looking site with false info.

I can think of a couple of reputable breeders who found pictures of their dogs on mill websites!

Anyone can say anything online. Unless you are a detective and/or know people who know people you have no way to know if you are dealing with some miller or the real thing.

mafiaprincess
January 15th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Oooh that's a really good point too Lavender. I actually found a forum person using a pic of Cider in an agility class claiming their dog was a competitive agility star.. WTF.

That is why you want to get to know a breeder.. you want references.. you want proof of everything you can get proof of and you want to get to have a relationship with a breeder.. If you keep talking and they start to contradict themselves, oops... or if they don't really want to talk to you much, why is that..

erykah1310
January 16th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Daisy im so sorry to hear of your miscarrage.:grouphug:
When are you looking to get another dog? In the very near future? Any particular reason you are looking for only a female?
I do agree it will be hard for you to find a reputable breeder who will sell a show quality female to you with Charlie being intact, although he has a best in show under his belt already.:shrug: Not to offend you but right away I think of breeding. Im sure many reputable ethical breeders will think the same way.:shrug:

mafiaprincess
January 16th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Did you say your boy won best of breed, or best in show last weekend? The AKC shows no cockers winning BIS in the states.. BOB is still really cool though.
How many points did he get getting winner's dog? We all want pictures so we can live vicariously though. Hint hint to anyone who shows :)

Daisy2943
January 17th, 2007, 03:58 AM
You know i didn't even think to ask how many points he got its been an overwhelming couple of weeks. I think he won best of breed I'm not sure I have to find the score card thingy. I need a vacation, this month has been chaotic. We just moved into our new house closing on the old house my miscarriage again gypsy and parvo i just need a mini vacation.

Anyways i got a female cocker spaniel mix not from a breeder not from a pet store but i bought her off someone on the street. Before you all get up in arms read. I went jogging with charlie near my mom's house and i was jogging past this apartment complex which was run down and really crappy and i usually see this black cocker spaniel tied outside about everytime well it was like 15 degrees here literally and im going on my jog (trust me i don't even run a mile just enough to get charlie tired before i go to work) and i see her well i went up to the door and wrote them a check and took the dog home she didn't even have a name. She was so matted and her ears were so dirty she is now a beautiful little lady and thats her name now. I took her to the vet after calling off work (shame on me) and she is malnourished and has fleas and sarcoptic mange and Shes now on revolution along with all my pets so they won't get it. I never heard of revolution until today and its really cool it prevents heartworms fleas and ticks and treats sarcoptic mange. I'm just going to stick to showing charlie until i get the hang of that. In fact my cousin shows dogs she has two chjampiom huskies and a champion corgi so we are going to do it together so bye bye handler. Heres a question though should i shave her with my grooming tools or get a proffesional i don'r want to hurt her

LavenderRott
January 17th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Since she is badly matted, I would let a professional do her this time around. And then make the appointment to get her spayed.

Prin
January 17th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I hope you get her spayed asap too so she doesn't have any accidents with yours.:fingerscr :fingerscr

erykah1310
January 17th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I would definately let a groomer work with the mats. mats are very painful.
:fingerscr that the people you gave the cheque to just cash it and you never hear from them again.:fingerscr

Daisy2943
January 18th, 2007, 02:53 AM
Im taking her to the groomer tommorow i had to call a ton of places because of the whole mange thing. The pricks who own her called me and offered to sell me her papers for a 100 dollars. I already paid 150 for the dog (my husband hit the roof on that one "Don't you know how to barter") but i might get the papers just to get a glimpse of what health problems I am into

Daisy2943
January 18th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Yea the spaying will commense soon the vet wants to wait until the mange clears up and she gets a little healthier since she really is in bad shape she is malnourished and was dehydrated and has an upper respitory infection I don't think her body coudl handle that kind of stress at the moment. Plus Charlie and daisy are kept seperate for the little lady because of her mange. I mean i have to wear gloves because humans can get it