Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kennel Cough

pgrosserode
January 15th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Can a dog get Kennel Cough even though she was vaccinated. My minature poodle has the appropriate symptom, completely well in all other respect except for the coughing. The cough is becoming less frequent, but it is going on approximately a month now.

SnowDancer
January 15th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Yes. There are many strains of it. My dog gets vaccinated for it every year - vet gives vaccine for strain most common to area. But it is like the people flu shot - doesn't cover everything. But we always get the shot because in 1976 our Beagle had major Kennel Cough - at a time when vaccines or meds were not available, and we are not about it forget how horrible it was. So far, so good. He just had his 3rd shot last weekend - he is about to turn 3 and so far no KC - he goes to socialization once a week so needs the shot for that plus occasionally is home boarded - KC shot also a requirement. Hope your pup gets better.

jessi76
January 15th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Can a dog get Kennel Cough even though she was vaccinated. My minature poodle has the appropriate symptom, completely well in all other respect except for the coughing. The cough is becoming less frequent, but it is going on approximately a month now.

yes, mine did. like SnowDancer pointed out, there are many strains of it. If your dog has been coughing for about a month now, you should head to the vet. Meds may be required.

pgrosserode
January 15th, 2007, 07:13 PM
I already took her to the vet. They said she may have tonsilitis, but wasn't sure. They put her on 2 wks on antibiotics. She is almost finished with it, but as said before-still coughs but not as often, is better. They also want to do valley fever tests and heart x-ray if not gone after antibiotic treatment. From what I've read I still think she just has kennel cough that is taking time to get over. I can't see spending money for tests, when she is eating, drinking, playing, and acting as usual, except for the cough. I guess I'll give it a week or 2 and see if she continues coughing, then get the tests done.