Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone with Panosteitis (Pano) experience...or knowledge?

RallyX
January 14th, 2007, 08:26 PM
My Dog is Rally, approx 9 months, and she is a Boxer/Doberman X.

At around 6 months Rally started a limp. I took her to the vet a number of times, and spoke a friend a few times who is a vet tech. They have told me that it is likely Pano, and to keep an eye on it. She is not in a terrible amount of pain, but the limp is noticable.

A few things concern me. First (I'm told that), Pano is known to come and go, and switch legs. It has been about 3 months, and in this case the limp has stayed in the same front right limb. She has been symptomless for a few days here and there, but the limp has not really gone away for any longer then two days. If she is symptomless, they will show up, even after a short walk. Are there other cases of Pano, where it stays in the same limb for an extended period of time?

Second, the limb with the pano seems to be a smaller diameter then the healthy limb. Could this just be from the inactivity of the limb equaling less muscle density? Or, could it be a different disease altogether?

Also considering my concerns, should I take Rally into another Vet Clinic, and get a second opinion? Thanks a bunch.http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs10/f/2006/326/7/5/Wanna_Play__by_Mustache.jpg

Maya
January 14th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I'm sorry I don't know anything about the disorder or what else it may be, I just wanted to say she's beautiful and so is the photograph. I'm sure someone will be along soon to help though. Good luck.:fingerscr

Hunter's_owner
January 15th, 2007, 06:33 AM
My dog, who is now almost 6, had pano from the time he was 6 months or so until he was over a year old.

First of all, Hunter's pano at times did seem to happen to one leg more than the other. But saying that never did I notice that one leg was smaller in diameter than the other. Because of this I would get a second opinion. Because the puppy is growing, any troubles that can be treated should be treated asap.

However, is it is pano, there is some medication that you can get from the vet to treat the pain. When Hunter's symptoms would flare up we would give him some of the painkillers. As you described, it did come and go, but for a time, it did seem to be there more often than not. That was when I kept returning to the vet, saying "are you sure?":o After reasurring me again and again that it was pano and would pass, it finally did.

By the way, Rally is very cute. Please keep us posted.

Dracko
January 15th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Dracko was diagnosed with it before he was 1 years old mainly cuz of the symptom of jumping around from limb to limb. They told me he would outgrow it. Well at 3 he hadn't. They did additional testing and now believe it is Rheumatoid Arthritis.

But I lived with the unexpected limping and seeing him in pain for years. I pretty much stick to all natural therapies with all my animals but he would be in terrible pain at time unable to walk up stairs even. I started to us Rymidyl (not sure of the spelling) early on for when he had a flare up. I've read the negatives to the medication, but I really had no choice. I did try others such as Metacam and it didn't work.

Today (he is 6 1/2) I probably have to give him the medication 1 or 2 days every 2 or 3 months. He doesn't often have a flare up but when he does the medication is effective after about 1/2 hour and more often than not controls the inflammation sufficiently that I don't have to give him another.

I'm still not 100% sure what he has, but one minute he will be fine and the next he will not weight bare on a limb. He will usually just lay there with the limb in the air. It is very, very sad to see your doggie limping and in pain.

RallyX
January 15th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I called and spoke again with my Vet. I am to keep an eye on it for the next week, and if the limping continues, I'll schedule an appointment for xrays.

Hunter's_owner
January 15th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Great. Hopefully it is only pano and it will clear up soon:fingerscr
I can't remember how long exactly Hunter's lasted.

Please keep us posted.:)

BLB
January 16th, 2007, 07:24 PM
One of are shepherds had pano at about five months and the vet informed us that it could be a lack of vitamin C. We started giving her pieces of orange in the morning and it seemed to help but we also kept her from stairs and any jumping as this seemed to make it worse. It did feel like it would never end and if you ask my husband I worry like crazy about my kids but it did finally get better just don't expect it to be soon Ever try to lift a shepherd at seven months. Don't get discouraged yet

Purpledomino
January 17th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Your story sounds like mine, and I feel your pain! We have a nine month old bullmastiff (Ruben) who has had a limp now for at least a couple months. I noticed it first as a very slight, almost undetectable head-bob at a trot, and it progressed to what is now a very noticeable and painful looking limp. Following my first trip to the vet, I was advised to take the conservative approach and try a course of Metacam for pain. I was told that it was diagnostic as well, as it would help somewhat for the pain associated with some soft tissue injuries and Pano, but wouldn't likely do anything for something as serious as OCD. Vet advised me that if it did not seem better, to book for xrays to rule out everything else. I found that the Metacam helped a bit, but the limp never went away, then got worst, always on his left front. Ruben had his radiographs done two days ago, and had a day visit at the vet office, as of course my boy would not stay still enough with a mild sedation, and had to be put under in order to get the films. Good news is that Ruben's shoulders and elbows look clear, and it does look to be Pano. Pano (growing pains) is the best case scenario, and just knowing that it will clear up on its own will let me sleep at night. Please have the xrays done if you haven't already in order to rule out more serious problems, as they will be better treated if found early. I'm sure that it is as hard for you as it is for me to see your dog in pain, and from what I've learned about Pano, it can be a long recovery, but they do recover. Good luck! :thumbs up