Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

law and order and hints in city and wildlife

Parabell
January 14th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Hello, my name is Monica from Germany.

We, thats me and my husband, 34 and 36 years old, plan to have the "holiday of our lives" in Canada this summer und will take our little doggy with us. It is a Bolonka Zwetna, that is a russian pet dog, a cute and lovely breed and we love her so much! ;)

Getting informations about which airline(s) allows pets in the cabin and all the criteria in transporting, which had to be fulfilled, was already pretty difficult... but finding informations about behavior as a dog-owner is even more difficult! :)

So I would like to know where I can find these informations or if somebody would be so friendly and tell me what we should know.

We would like to know about typical situations - so if little dogs are allowed in public places like shops, restaurants or shopping centres, taxis or busses... and if not, if it would make a difference, if the doggy is carried in a bag.

Taking itīs droppings away is natural, we do that always, everywhere we are and at any time and in any country. :)

But are there other things, which could annoy or offend people in Canada while taking a dog with me?

Then of course we want to see lots of nature - we are staying 4 weeks and want to hire a campingmobile. So what do we have to know about wildlife and dog and right behavior in and outside national parcs?

We are a little bit anxious (no, we are massively frightened! ;) ) to risk our health or that of our doggy or of course that of other people, but otherwise do we want to see as much as possible and donīt want to see Canada only from behind windscreens. ;)

We already know, that one shouldnīt or mustīnt go with a dog (leashed or unleashed) on the trails of the parcs, thatīs ok and logical. But is it safe to walk on the camping grounds with the dog?
And what about letting the dog in the camper and then going on a short trip into the wild? Can bears open a camping vehicle, or does it often happen, that bears come in daylight to the camping areas? Do bears feel attracted by dogs or their barks and would try to get into a caravan with a dog in it?
Thinking of european wildlife I would say that there should be no danger, as long as humans (and the smell of humans and their sounds) are around (even at night) - but bears donīt belong (any more) to european wildlife.... so I am not sure - the most dangerous animals we have are wild boars, and they are seldom and only in some parts of Germany to be found. :D

Then of course we have to think about vehicle getting too hot with the dog in it - is it possible or allowed to let run the airconditioning running when we have a campingplace with electricity? Does that work?

And what about "meeting wildlife with dog accidently"? Is it better to take the (propably barking like mad) dog up and go away (back into car or somewhere), instead leaving the dog on the ground and go away with it?

And what about dry dogfood - it is always smelling strong - is it better to change to tin-food while being on campingtour, or can I take the fodder, as long I keep it safe in TupperWare and ventilate after feeding? What, if the dog smells of food?

Sorry if this posting is too long or itīs questions were already discussed a short time ago, but I have searched now some days for information and found so few. Personal help is needed! :)

I would be very happy and grateful, if somebody would answer me.

Have fun,

Monica

P.S. Monica with "c" is unusual in German, but this is really my name, my mum loves England und lived there many years.
P.P.S. Sorry, if my English should be too bad or this posting contain involuntary humor - I did my very best. :)

wdawson
January 14th, 2007, 07:41 PM
here is a link to the government site regarding pets
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/dogse.shtml

Stacer
January 14th, 2007, 07:43 PM
We would like to know about typical situations - so if little dogs are allowed in public places like shops, restaurants or shopping centres, taxis or busses... and if not, if it would make a difference, if the doggy is carried in a bag.

This would depend on the city you are visiting, there are different bylaws in every city concerning animals. I live in Toronto, here some shops will allow you to bring small dogs in, restaurants will generally not allow you to brings dogs in. It is up to the discretion of the Taxi driver as to if they will allow a dog in their car. Dogs are not allowed on a bus unless they are a service dog (such as a seeing eye dog). No dogs allowed in shopping centres. I think most people overlook a small dog when it is carried in a bag, so you could probably get away with it in most situations. And if you get caught, plead ignorance as a visitor to Canada:D

As for dogs in campgrounds here are some links to park websites.
Ontario Parks (provincial park) http://www.ontarioparks.com/ENGLISH/feedback.html#dogs
Parks Canada (national parks) http://www.pc.gc.ca/progs/np-pn/index_E.asp

I wouldn't recommend leaving your dog unattended at a campsite inside your camping vehicle, as there laws for leaving your vehicle running, so you wouldn't be able to leave the air conditioner on for your dog.

As for bears, it depends what area of the country you are in. If you are in the eastern parts of the country you would most likely encounter black bears, if you are in the west you would encounter grizzly bears, but if you're in the arctic you'll see polar bears. Each of these bears have different behaviour. Quite frankly, your chances of encountering any of these bears while camping is very slim, but you should still take precautions, such as keeping your food inside your camping vehicle when you are not on your site or at night when you are sleeping. You should never let your dog chase a bear. I don't think that bears are attracted by dogs.

Anybody else got any advice?

wdawson
January 14th, 2007, 07:46 PM
seems canada does not recognize germany as a rabies free country.....so you will need atleast a rabies vaccine,as far as being out in the wilderness,well pretty much like your wilderness.

mummummum
January 14th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Welcome to Canada! I camp and vacation with my large dogs all the time so you won't have any problem with your small pup. Where are you thinking of landing and going ?

mummummum
January 14th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Dogs are not allowed on a bus unless they are a service dog (such as a seeing eye dog).
Just to clarify...dogs are always permitted on Toronto Transit but can be refused during "rush hour". Personally ( I live at Yonge and Bloor) I suggest anytime between 9:30 and 2:30, then anytime after 7:00 for safe travel. Of course, if your dog is travelling in a bag ~ anytime is okay but, if you travel in the early morning the TTC is very congested.

OntarioGreys
January 14th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Your english is wonderful.

I can't help with airlines. You will have to buy your food here, can't cross international border with food, we I believe do have some brands that may be available in Germany, it might be better to do a transition to a food before hand that is available here, so your dog does not end up sick with diarreaha or upset stomach. I travelling in a motor home and there will be times where no air conditioner is on for extended period you may want to keep the food refrigerate or only buy small bags that can be used up quickly so the heat an humidity is not cause mold growth. Our summers here can be very hot and humid, parks require you keep the dog on leash at all times, Quebec has very few campgrounds that allow dogs, rest of Canada's parks pretty much will allow dogs.

Here is the National Park Legislations for domestic pets
http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partI/2005/20050604/html/regle2-e.html

this site here can help with where pets are allowed
across the country
http://www.petfriendly.ca/

Only guide dogs are allowed in resteraunts and stores, some outdoor patio resteraunts may allow a dog.

I believe in Toronto dogs are allowed on public transportation systems, but most cities do not allow, I think you can take on taxis though.

Campgrounds across US and canada that allows dogs

http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/travel/guides/camp/camp.shtml

For Ontario Provincial Parks they allow dogs on leash no longer than 2 meters
some do have exercise areas for dogs to allow them to have some offleash time
This park locator will provide a list if which parks have what services that are of interest to you
http://www.parkreports.com/locator/search.php

A lot of parks here can be booked solid during holiday weekends, so you may have to make reservations in advance to be ensured a camping spot.
This is the page for reservations
http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/internet_rules.html

To find info on provincial parks in other provinces simply do an internet search eg Alberta provincial parks and maybe tack on dog

And most wild animals will not approach you, but it is wise to not leave any food out at night including any left over dog food :o or you may have bear or racoons coming to visit. parks normally provide a list of rules when you enter that explains the do's and don'ts of the park.

Iam sure others will provide other info

Stacer
January 14th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Just to clarify...dogs are always permitted on Toronto Transit but can be refused during "rush hour". Personally ( I live at Yonge and Bloor) I suggest anytime between 9:30 and 2:30, then anytime after 7:00 for safe travel. Of course, if your dog is travelling in a bag ~ anytime is okay but, if you travel in the early morning the TTC is very congested.

Oops! My bad. I don't own a dog and thought that I'd read no dogs allowed.

dustybird
January 16th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Hello and welcome, I hope you have a wonderful stay, and I agree your english is very good.

I don't have much to add but wanted to post a link about black bears from our ministry of natural resources. It has tips on what to do and not to do.

http://bears.mnr.gov.on.ca/

To be safe I would never leave the pup unattended or unleashed as there is always the chance to wander off and if in the woods there are other dangers such as coyotes, wolves and fishers(really only a risk if he were to run away as they are quite shy of humans). The bears shouldn't be too much of a problem as they are more afraid of us and usualy only come around if they smell food and it's too quiet. We have never had a problem with anything other raccoons while camping. I would also maybe introduce bottled water before you leave as the change in water even city by city can sometimes cause diarrhea.

Best wishes and I hope you have a wonderful trip.