Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What does GSD mean?

jayner
January 13th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Hi, I'm new here. I've noticed people using GSD when referring to their pets (I think). What does this mean?

Thanks!

Frenchy
January 13th, 2007, 05:29 PM
German Sheppard Dog. Now I got a question too ; why the d ? Why not just GS ? We don't say golden retriever dog......

muckypup
January 13th, 2007, 05:32 PM
German Sheppard Dog. Now I got a question too ; why the d ? Why not just GS ? We don't say golden retriever dog......

Because the breeds name is German Shepherd Dog

jayner
January 13th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Ahhh... thanks for the info... good point too!

Love your signature, BTW! :thumbs up

Frenchy
January 13th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Because the breeds name is German Shepherd Dog

Oh crap, sorry for my spelling :eek: it just sounded weird to me because in french it would be "Chien Berger Allemand". :confused:

Byrd
January 13th, 2007, 05:42 PM
They do it with the Aussies too... it's "Australian Shepherd Dog". Must be a shepherd thing. :shrug:

Prin
January 13th, 2007, 05:49 PM
it's "Australian Shepherd Dog". Must be a shepherd thing. :shrug:Well, yeah... If you just said "Australian shepherd" or "German Shepherd", then you're talking about the farmer man.:D

Byrd
January 13th, 2007, 05:52 PM
I was actually going to say that, but... :rolleyes:

erykah1310
January 13th, 2007, 06:38 PM
So... theoretically by Prins logic.

A shepherd in Germany, with an Aussie Shepherd, is a German shepherd with an Austrailian Shepherd dog.

What if the shepherd himself was from Austrailia and moved to Germany??
Would he then be and Austrailian shepherd in Germany with an Austrailian shepherd dog??? :shrug:

I hope this has confused some of you, that was my plan!:D

technodoll
January 13th, 2007, 06:41 PM
the japanese do it for their national dogs, too... akita-inu, shiba-inu, etc ("inu" means "dog") :goodvibes:

Frenchy
January 13th, 2007, 06:46 PM
the japanese do it for their national dogs, too... akita-inu, shiba-inu, etc ("inu" means "dog") :goodvibes:

:offtopic: I'm sorry but this ; :goodvibes: reeeeeally looks like a humping smiley. :shrug: yea yea yea, I know, time for a sexy party. :goodvibes:

Dracko
January 14th, 2007, 12:00 AM
I probably wouldn't have known except I have a GSD. Otherwise I'd probably be ???? when I saw it, too.

Prin
January 14th, 2007, 12:52 AM
GSD is just the tip of the iceberg too... I don't know them all, but I remember once somebody needed help with their PB FBL...

Took us a while to figure out what that was...

Byrd
January 14th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Yup, and I have me a PB ASD FFAD YNTGAOD!

Figure that one out!!!! :crazy:

(pure bred australian shepherd dog, flyball frisbee agility dog, yet not too good at obedience dog - we had our first obedience 2 class today :rolleyes: :offtopic: but had to add to the pure bred um... female blue-eyed lab (?).... joke :p )

Prin
January 14th, 2007, 01:40 AM
lol no, it's just black lab. There's only one blue eyed one here.. wait.. no, two.:D

Byrd
January 14th, 2007, 12:48 PM
LOL I was close. :p